OK, here I am again and all ready to talk about Penny. From what you’ve already written, I think this is some of the most important information. Now you be sure and correct me if I’m getting anything wrong. But it sounds as though Penny is a 14 y/o long haired Doxie who is your precious baby girl. I have no human children, either, so the three dogs I’ve owned in my life have truly been my furkids, too. I just lost my last girl a year ago, so my heart goes out to you as you are facing such huge quality of life decisions for both you and Penny. It sounds as though you’re thinking the time has come to release her. And that may remain your decision. But we’re here to be a sounding board for you, and to see whether other options remain — at least for the time being.

You’ve said your vet suggested an ultrasound that showed enlarged adrenal glands and an enlarged liver. And yes, both these findings are consistent with Cushing’s. But as far as outward symptoms, is she showing anything really abnormal besides a pot belly and some muscle weakness? The reason why I ask is because neither the enlarged adrenals or enlarged liver are life-threatening issues, in and of themselves. There’s a whole host of internal and external problems that Cushing’s can cause, and especially for younger dogs, we do encourage treatment so as to keep those problems from worsening over time. But for senior dogs of Penny’s age, current quality of life may be the single most important consideration. And if the Cushing’s is not really making her uncomfortable, then going through the expense and stress of treatment may not be a worthy trade-off.

So far, it sounds as though you’ve tried Adrenal Harmony Gold, lignans/melatonin, and a few doses of 5 mg. Vetoryl. But the Vetoryl took away her appetite. Given that result and also the lack of bloodwork to really confirm the Cushing’s diagnosis in the first place, I think you did the right thing by stopping the Vetoryl. And as I say, if Penny isn’t really exhibiting signs that she’s uncomfortable, I likely wouldn’t be pursuing treatment further right now, either. Cushing’s is typically a very slowly progressing disease, so there’s usually some time to reconsider options along the road.

Since you’re considering letting Penny go this week, though, I’m thinking that I’m likely missing some other important information about things that may be going on with her. Please bear in mind that none of us here are vets or have medical training. But we’ve all lived with and loved Cushpups. And for sure, we recognize that just the natural aging process alone can overlap with the disease, and make a lot of decisions even more complicated. As you say, if only our dogs could tell us what they are thinking and feeling, themselves. That would surely give us some peace as we struggle to make the best decisions we can on their behalf.

I do hope you’ll return to us and tell us more about what you’re facing with Penny. We’re really grateful that you’ve joined us and that you are giving us the privilege of meeting both you and Penny, especially right now at what sounds like a very difficult time. So any more info you care to share will be greatly appreciated. And I sure hope you’re able to create an album and upload some photos!

Marianne