Hello and welcome from me, as well! I join Lori in telling you how sorry I am about Gypsey’s illness, but I’m very grateful that you’ve found us. I have been mom to three Labs myself, and it was my first boy, Barkis, who brought me to this community twenty years ago. I never would have made it through the tough times without the support of my family here, and we’ll do our very best to offer that same support to your family as well.

Barkis was diagnosed with Cushing’s when he was around nine, although in retrospect I know he started showing symptoms earlier which we originally just attributed to low thyroid. He was the first patient in our area to be treated with trilostane, and for a while he did improve. But after just a few months he started exhibiting neurological symptoms consistent with an enlarging macrotumor. I’ve posted his complete story in a reply on the “Macroadenoma” thread found on another one of our subforums:

https://www.k9cushings.com/forum/sho...-Macroadenomas

But the quick summary is that my husband and I did not want to put him through the diagnostics and treatment associated with a Macroadenoma, either. So we never knew for certain whether that was the culprit. But no matter what the cause, it was his ultimate total loss of appetite and the ability to drink that forced our decision to release him. Having lived through his decline, my heart totally goes out to you and your husband now. And it also influences my own thoughts about Gypsey’s situation. In honesty, if she is regaining her appetite at the moment, I’d probably hold off on restarting the Vetoryl for a little while longer in order to see whether that’s just a temporary change or instead a genuine rebound. She can continue to survive with unsteadiness, but not if she stops eating and drinking. And if her appetite is finally now improving while off the Vetoryl, I’d hesitate to restart it immediately due to its appetite suppressing action.

If she continues eating for a while longer, then that’s the point where I’d reconsider the Vetoryl. But at a lower dose and perhaps alongside a steroid as well, as Lori has suggested. I know the addition of a steroid seems paradoxical with a Cushpup, but we talk about that combo more on that “Macroadenoma” thread.

I’ll go ahead and close for now, but please know that we’re here to support you no matter what you decide to do. If only we had a crystal ball to guide us! But instead we’re left with uncertainties and all we can do is to try our best with the info we have in hand. So if you do decide to start back with the Vetoryl right now, I know that’s because it seems like the best alternative, and I do understand why you don’t want to leave any stone unturned. But please continue to let us know how your sweet girl is doing, and please give her a big hug from her new family here.

Sending my warm wishes across the miles,
Marianne