Thread: What do we think about using lignans/melatonin - Willow has passed

Default What do we think about using lignans/melatonin - Willow has passed

Hello,

Willow (11) is already taking many supplements, but this is alongside Vetoryl. IÂ’m considering taking her off of Vetoryl altogether & trialling a natural path. Thankfully she hasnÂ’t suffered many side effects from Vetoryl, my main concern is WillowÂ’s energy levels & IÂ’d love to try & improve/elevate this.
    Her current (& constant) Vetoryl dosage is 10mg.

Has anybody had experience with a natural route?

As I said Willow is 11.3 years old. She is a beautiful white Maltipoo (82% maltese, 18% toy poodle) & until 2022 she had never been unwell). She has been on a cooked organic diet from 6 months old (with added supplements) & drinks only bottled water)

I want to do the very best by my favourite being but IÂ’m scared of making an incorrect choice, possibly resulting in a decline to her condition.

I have got to stop Googling ‘cushings’ because I can’t see another ‘average life expectancy after diagnosis is 2 years’. (Nothing to do with my question but I thought I’d add it as I’m spiralling)

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thank you

Sian x

Default Re: What do we think about using lignans/melatonin ect instead of Vetoryl? Help neede

Hi Sian,

Welcome to you and Willow! It would be a great help to us if you could gather up copies of all tests that were done on Willow and post any abnormal findings, we are especially interested in all tests that were performed for the Cushing's diagnosis. When was Willow's last ACTH stimulation test to monitor her cortisol levels, and what were those results? Does she have any other health issues? What symptoms did Willow display that led you or the vet to test for Cushing's and how are those symptoms now?

Concerning that "average life expectancy" Cushing's is a treatable disease and with treatment dogs with Cushing's can have a good quality of life and there is every reason to believe that they can live out their normal life span. However, for the treatment to work safely and successfully it requires an educated pet owner along with an experienced vet as adverse side effects are mostly only seen when the proper protocols are not followed.

Melatonin and lignans are the treatment for "Atypical Cushing's," this is when one or more of the adrenal hormones are elevated but the cortisol is not. I do want you to be aware that this recommended treatment for atypical Cushing's is very controversial among the veterinarian field. I'm including a link to our Resource Forum where you will find the information regarding Atypical Cushing's: http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/show...Hyperestrinism

Many of our members are having success in treating their cushdog with Vetoryl, hopefully you'll find that comforting. Please know we are here for you and ask all the questions you want.

Hugs, Lori

Default Re: What do we think about using lignans/melatonin - Willow has passed

Willow passed away in the early hours of the 23rd January 2024 in my arms. We have no idea what happened. We lost her suddenly. I am lost, desolate & just utterly heartbroken.
    I donÂ’t know how to live without Willow, she was my soulmate. I donÂ’t know what to do.

I know I havenÂ’t posted on here that frequently but I donÂ’t want her to be forgotten. She deserves the universe.

Dear Sian,

I’m so deeply sorry to learn of Willow’s passing. I’m very grateful, though, that you’ve come here to tell us so that we can join you in forever honoring your precious girl. Willow has now been added to our special memorial thread where she joins all our other beloved Cushpup angels:

https://www.k9cushings.com/forum/sho...Us-(2020-2024)

If it would please you to have us link a picture to her memorial line, at any time you can send a photo to us at k9cushings@gmail.com. We’ll take care of everything from there.

In the meantime, though, please know that we will always be here to talk with you and to remember Willow. I have never in my life grieved so hard for any living spirit than I did at the time that my Cushpup, Barkis, died. One of the only comforts I could find was to come here and write about my boy and also my pain. It helped me to talk with people who understood how much he mattered to me, and how empty my life felt without him. I know we can’t change your grief or your loss, but we’re here to walk alongside you if you should wish to talk with us more. You can continue to write to us right here. Or if you’d like, you can also start another thread for Willow, as well, on our “In Loving Memory” forum. Over the years, members of our family have added tributes to their furbabies there as well as sharing stories about their lives together,

https://www.k9cushings.com/forum/for...-Loving-Memory

Either way — here or there — it will be our privilege to offer our support to you as you face these hard days and nights without your baby Willow by your side. Once again, I’m so very sorry for your loss.

Always in loving memory of your sweet Willow,
    Marianne

Default Re: What do we think about lignans/melatonin - Willow has passed

It’s me again, just wanting to add one more link that’s available for you to visit if you should ever wish to do so. This is a thread on our “In Loving Memory” forum that houses a number of resources for folks who are grieving a loss. There are several different groups and websites that are listed there. Perhaps one or more may offer support you might want to explore further. To me, the greatest gift when I visit that thread is knowing that I’m not alone — there are other very kind folks who care when we pet parents are suffering.

https://www.k9cushings.com/forum/sho...You-re-Hurting

Again, sending my thoughts and hugs to you.
    Marianne

Dearest Sian,

I am so sorry for the loss of beloved Willow and my heart goes out to you in this most painful time. Please know that we are here for you and understand the grief you are feeling, come back and talk to us at any time.

With Heartfelt Sympathy, Lori

I am so, so sorry for your loss, Sian. Losing our beloved babies is awful. With today's snowstorm, all I could think of was my Gable, and how he loved to stand in front of me while I shoveled so that I would throw it on him. And how my little Lena would come in with snow clusters in her fur. She looked like she had snowballs all over her. So many memories...but they do make us smile in spite of the sadness.

Joan
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Dear Sian,

Tears were, and still are, rolling as I read your post about precious Willow. Even when we know that time is near and we have time to prepare as best we can it is so so hard to say goodbye but when "That Day" sneaks up on us all of a sudden it is especially difficult.

When my beloved Squirt had to leave this life I felt the way you do...lost and not sure how to go on, what I was supposed to do. All I knew was pain and anguish so deep I would fall to the floor screaming and crying. She was everything to me. When my adult daughter passed away suddenly it was Squirt who saved my life. If not for her, I would be with my child. But Squirt needed me so for her I stayed. When she left, all that agony came roaring back ten-fold and I truly wasn't sure I would survive this loss. That was in 2014 and I still cry for her today. There are times I still hear her coming down the hall or shuffling around in my closet where she liked to hang out or barking at me to hurry with her dinner. Both tears and laughter come with these times today. The main thing this tells me is something I already know but tend to forget and that is that she is always with me...just as your beloved Willow will always be with you.

It's been nearly 10 years since my Squirt had to leave but I know that she has been watching over me and loving me all those years. I know because she has sent many signs of her presence. I believe in time you too will share experiences like hearing Willow or seeing something completely out of place that only she would have known you would notice. You will know then, just as I know now, that your beloved Willow is by your side always. Always loving you, always grateful for the love and life you gave her.

Until then, grieve as much and as long as you need. There is only one rule to grieving - do no harm. Other than that, nada. There is no time limit, no "right" way to grieve, nothing you should or shouldn't do to meet other's expectations - "they" don't matter in this. Cry, scream, yell, throw things, beat a tree with a 2x4, dig a 6' deep hole...whatever it takes for you to survive and learn how to carry this loss. I wish I could tell you that time will take this pain away but it won't. BUT time does allow us to do that one thing...learn how to live with the pain, to carry it in us like another bone. The pain doesn't change, we do. We grow larger around our pain and in that growth we learn much about ourselves and others while loving our precious babies more and more and more.

My deepest sympathy and empathy,
    Leslie

If you ever love an animal,
    there are three days in your life you will always remember.
    The first is a day, blessed with happiness,
    when you bring home your young new friend.
    You may have spent weeks deciding on a breed.
    You may have asked numerous opinions of many vets,
    or done long research in finding a breeder.
    Or, perhaps in a fleeting moment,
    you may have just chosen that silly looking mutt in a shelter —
    simply because something in its eyes reached your heart.
    But when you bring that chosen pet home,
    and watch it explore, and claim its special place in your hall or front room —
    and when you feel it brush against you for the first time —
    it instills a feeling of pure love
    you will carry with you through the many years to come.

The second day will occur eight or nine or ten years later.
    It will be a day like any other.
    Routine and unexceptional.
    But, for a surprising instant,
    you will look at your longtime friend
    and see age where you once saw youth.
    You will see slow deliberate steps
    where you once saw energy.
    And you will see sleep where you once saw activity.
    So you will begin to adjust your friend's diet —
    and you may add a pill or two to her food.
    And you may feel a growing fear deep within yourself,
    which bodes of a coming emptiness.
    And you will feel this uneasy feeling, on and off,
    until the third day finally arrives.

And on this day — if your friend and God have not decided for you,
    then you will be faced with making a decision of your own —
    on behalf of your lifelong friend,
    and with the guidance of your own deepest Spirit.
    But whichever way your friend eventually leaves you —
    you will feel as alone as a single star
    in the dark night sky.
    If you are wise, you will let the tears flow
    as freely and as often as they must.
    And if you are typical,
    you will find that not many in your circle
    of family or human friends
    will be able to understand your grief, or comfort you.
    But if you are true to the love
    of the pet you cherished through the many joy-filled years,
    you may find that a soul — a bit smaller in size than your own —
    seems to walk with you, at times, during the lonely days to come.
    And at moments when you least expect
    anything out of the ordinary to happen,
    you may feel something brush against your leg — very, very lightly.
    And looking down at the place
    where your dear, perhaps dearest, friend used to lie —
    you will remember those three significant days.
    The memory will most likely be painful,
    and leave an ache in your heart —
    As time passes the ache will come and go
    as if it has a life of its own.
    You will both reject it and embrace it,
    and it may confuse you.
    If you reject it, it will depress you.
    If you embrace it, it will deepen you.
    Either way, it will still be an ache.

But there will be, I assure you, a fourth day when —
    along with the memory of your pet —
    and piercing through the heaviness in your heart —
    there will come a realization that belongs only to you.
    It will be as unique and strong
    as our relationship with each animal we have loved, and lost.
    This realization takes the form of a Living Love —
    Like the heavenly scent of a rose
    that remains after the petals have wilted,
    this Love will remain and grow—
    and be there for us to remember.
    It is a love we have earned.
    It is the legacy our pets leave us when they go —
    And it is a gift we may keep with us as long as we live.
    It is a Love which is ours alone —
    And until we ourselves leave,
    perhaps to join our Beloved Pets —
    It is a Love that we will always possess.

by Martin Scot Kosins,
    found in Angel Pawprints : Reflections On Loving and Losing a Canine Companion
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.