Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Back again..What are the statistical odds of having a third beagle with Cushing's?

Default Re: Back again..What are the statistical odds of having a third beagle with Cushing's

Judy, thanks so much for your update. It’s wonderful news that Sadie Sue is maintaining her Cushing’s improvement, and we’ll surely be hoping that her blood pressure is now stabilizing as well. It makes me smile to picture her visiting the assisted living residents, and I’ll bet you’re right — she’ll be socializing with them more as time goes on. One of my good friends has gone through the rigors of getting her dog officially certified as a therapy dog in order to visit childrens’ hospitals here, and I know how satisfying this has been for them both. When we first got Luna, I had thought I might do the same. But I just didn’t have the patience and dedication to follow through with the official training. But still, on the occasions when Luna accompanied me to visit my mom at her seniors’ residence, I know it brought joy to the other pet-loving residents to have a furbaby on the premises. I truly miss those days very much.

Continued best wishes to both you and your sweet girl,
    Marianne

Default Re: Back again..What are the statistical odds of having a third beagle with Cushing's

Juuuudy! Hi!! Welcome back! I know you are so very excited to take this journey yet once again! These pups seem to know who to find that will help them. And Sadie Sue sure found a wonderful mom to be on her side. I don't have anything to add just yet but wanted to drop in and say HOWDY! to you and your precious girl. Your family here is always happy to see you! Would that the reason wasn't for a sick pup but nevertheless we are happy to welcome you back, sweet lady.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi, Leslie! It is good to hear from you. Sadie Sue continues to do well. She is back to letting me know when she has to go out to pee and she has gone about 2 1/2 to 3 hours in between pee trips. I wish I could just let her out to pee off-leash but there are rabbits everywhere where we are now living and she is a beagle!! There is also a really nasty looking alligator in the pond where we go for our walks and it makes me nervous when it comes up the grass to sunbathe.
    Sadie Sue and I spent Christmas at our friends' home and she was very calm all day. Her blood pressure has come down a bit although still high but no need to up her telmisartan. Getting the melatonin ready for tomorrow night--am having friends over for dinner in our dining room but everything is done early here so Sadie Sue won't be on her own for too long.
    I hope everyone's pups go into 2024 on an even keel!
    Judy H. (Always "Maggie and Abbie's Mom" & now "Sadie Sue's Mom")
    Venice, FL

Hi, folks! Just wanted to post an update on Miss Sadie Sue. Her symptoms (heavy panting almost all the time, increased water intake, scrounging for food and increase in barking) started coming back three weeks ago. She was scheduled for her next ACTH in April but I decided to ask the vet if we could move it up to now. He agreed. On Wednesday she had the ACTH and also a recheck on her blood pressure. Her blood pressure was unchanged from the last check (160 average). She was panting so much that they had a hard time getting accurate readings -- eventually, they put the cuff on her tail and finally got consistent readings. Her ACTH levels came back yesterday with the pre at 5 and the post at 7.9. The vet and I agreed to add 5 mg. to her morning dose so she will be getting 15 mg. in the a.m. and 10 mg. in the p.m. That regimen will start tomorrow. Sadie Sue's allergies have been really bad -- she got a cytopoint shot on 2/15 but was still chewing her legs quite a bit. We are in south Florida and having a terrible pollen season with the oak trees shedding green pollen everywhere. I have to wipe her paws after every time outside. I asked the vet if we could add in Apoquel and we started that yesterday. She was definitely better even after one day on it. We both got a better night's sleep without her chewing her legs.
    We are still volunteering at Memory Care. Sadie Sue has made some good friends there and she is always eager to go!
    Venice, FL

Hi Judy! So glad to get an update on Miss Sadie, and as usual, it sounds as though you are doing all the right things on her behalf. She’s so lucky to have you taking care of her :-))). I agree with the decision to increase her Vetoryl, and I hope you’ll start seeing improvement in her symptoms once again.

And as far as allergies, gosh, I fear this is going to be an unusually bad season for all of us in the southeast — humans and doggies alike :-(((. Up here in Atlanta we’ve gotten a very early start on warm weather and very high pollen counts, too. Almost everybody I know is sniffling and coughing right now. But hopefully the Apoquel will also make things better for you girls down there.

Anyway, so good to hear from you, as always. Sending big hugs to you both!
    Marianne

Hey Judy,

Sounds like things are progressing nicely for sweet Sadie Sue. She is one lucky girl to have you and your experience on her side. Allergies....geez not even gonna go there 'cause I gotta dash for the Kleenex!

Snotty hugs!
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Folks: Sadie Sue's Cushing's treatment continues to go well. However ... a week ago she jumped off the bed the wrong way and now has a partially torn ligament in her back right leg. She immediately started limping but never acted like she was in pain. I tried pressing different areas on her leg and not even a whimper. I took her into the vet on the day of her injury. Unfortunately, we got first vet available which was not her treating vet. The vet did a full exam and advised that she had a partially torn ligament. She also said that, after listening to her heart, she thought her murmur was more than a 2-3 which is what it was previously. The vet said she would recommend a conservative approach with regard to the ligament so Sadie Sue is now taking Galliprant and is limited to short walks to pee and poop. In my mind Sadie Sue is not a good candidate for surgery since she is now 10 1/2 years old, has a heart murmur as well as Cushing's. After a week of Galliprant I think her limp has decreased and she definitely feels fine. Unfortunately, at the vet visit Sadie Sue's weight had increased and now, since walks are limited, I am reducing treats and food so she doesn't gain any more weight. She is not happy about that nor is she happy that we have to turn around to go home before she is ready to do so. We already had an appointment on 4/23 with her vet to take an x-ray of her heart (the left side was slightly enlarged on the x-ray six months ago) so will discuss options about ligament with him. The vet we saw on the day she got hurt said that, if she is still limping by the 23rd, she would want to take an x-ray of her knee. Sadie Sue does have a previously diagnosed luxating patella on that knee. I found a veterinary PT in my area and have emailed her, asking at what point it might be appropriate for PT to be initiated. I had used a PT with Abbie as well as an accupunturist so really do like to use these methods to aide with healing. Think healing thoughts for Miss Sadie Sue! (I have posted two recent pics in her album. One is her last pic on the bed before her injury -- she is really not pleased that she cannot go up on the bed!)
    Venice, FL

Judy, your new pix of Sadie Sue are sooooooooo sweet! It’s such a shame that she hurt her leg and can’t be up on the bed right now! Hopefully she’ll heal quickly — I know that would be a gift for you both. I think the PT inquiry is a great idea. I’ve had a couple of friends now who have been able to avoid shoulder and knee surgery via PT intervention. And in Sadie’s circumstances, I surely understand why surgery is not an attractive option.

It sounds as though she remains a spunky happy girl, though, and that’s what’s most important! Thanks again for sharing these new pictures. They’re a treat for us all. Please give our girl a big hug from her Auntie Marianne ❤️.

Hi, folks! I need your good thoughts for Sadie Sue. She is undergoing two leg surgeries on Monday, one to repair the now total tear in her CCL and the other to put her patella back in place. Recovery will be quite long and she will have a cone on until the stitches come out which I am sure she will not be thrilled about. I did research on board certified veterinary surgeons in my area and took Sadie Sue up to her old vet to pic his brain. I met with one of the surgeons this morning and did like him. His staff was very nice and the whole clinic was impressive. She had an hour of pre-op tests this morning, including an EEG and x-rays of her heart due to heart murmur, knee x-rays and blood work. The vet does believe in PT but said that it will be a while before he will clear her to start that.
    Venice, FL

Omigosh, Judy, for sure I’ll be thinking of you girls on Monday and sending tons of healing wishes! I can only imagine what a stressful day it will be for you, so please know we’ll be sitting right there beside you in spirit. Any and all updates will be so appreciated whenever you have time to write.

Hugs, hugs and more hugs heading your way!