Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi all, foster girl with Cushing's

Default Re: Hi all, foster girl with Cushing's

Thanks again for this new update. Like you, I surely hope you'll be able to find a new vet who will be more knowledgeable about Cushing's treatment and protocols. I'm especially glad that Lucy didn't get the increased dose at the 14 day mark. It's possible that her cortisol may have been running even higher at that time due to stress over being in a new foster house. So it will be good to get her settled back down in your own house, and then to go from there. Once again, thanks for letting us know what is going on!

Marianne

Ηι! lucy is back here with us and she seems well. I visited another vet also, not quite satisfied again, they all just told me , take vetoryl, come back for exams every 2 months, i had to make all the questions and suggestions again.
    At least the new vet agreed that the right dose to start was 10mg, he is next door and i can arrange to make the test in the right time frame, and in a very good price. (And i will be able to communicate easy and ask questions, in the shelter clinic that was difficult)

I got the results of her 14th day test ( shelter clinic), they just gave me a number 11.4 μg/dl[ref. 0.7-8.0], No explanation nothing

After almost one month on vetoryl I noticed some changes

The belly seems quite smaller.
    She has no new hair lose and the smelly bad spot in her throat is somehow heeled now.
    Drinking/urination is better , she still urinates frequently but i need fewer bed pads.
    Her apetite is still huge!
    She is more energetic and sassy, she is the boss here!
    Panting is better, but the weather is not so hot any more.

The new vet also suggested that i skip the one month test , give her vetoryl another 2 weeks and then take the test. Not sure about that, although she seems to have no bad effects from the meds.

Is the 11.4 ug/dl result a post number? I'm thinking it is and if so I believe waiting a month for a recheck is fine as long as she's acting normally.

Ηι! Just here to inform you about Lucy. She seems to do well with the 10 mg meds, no bad symptoms .

Panting is much better , her belly is smaller also and the skin is better, not thin anymore.
    She still pees many times a day ( around 8-10) but much less than before (before was 25-30 times a day).
    She is still hungry all time also, but somehow better, at least she stopped licking the floor for hours.
    Her hind legs also seem to be stronger, the last 3 days she can stand on them to reach things ot jump happy around

She is going to have a test in 2 days. They told me they take just one sample, wondering if you ever heard about that. I thought they take 2 samples for the retesting..

Thanks for the update and I'm happy to hear that Lucy's symptoms are doing better. Regarding the one sample collection, your vet may be doing the pre-Vetoryl method, I'd definitely ask the vet if this is what they are doing. Here's a link about that: .https://www.k9cushings.com/forum/sho...TH-Stimulation
    Good luck and let us know those results, please

Thanks again for another update! I’m glad to hear you’re seeing some improvement, but realize you would like to see even more. As far as the testing, one monitoring protocol with which we’re familiar does involve only one blood draw. This testing protocol involves taking a blood sample right *before* giving the morning dose of trilostane. Here’s a link that describes how the test is done and how the results are analyzed:

https://www.k9cushings.com/forum/att...2&d=1659215520

Traditionally, the ACTH stimulation test has been the most commonly used monitoring test, and it does involve taking two blood samples one hour apart. However, during the last couple of years, the pre-Vetoryl monitoring test that I’ve described above has become common, especially in Europe. It’s less expensive because it doesn’t require the injection of a stimulating agent. As long as dogs appear to be generally well, this may now be preferred in many places. However, the ACTH stimulation test remains a valuable testing tool when more information about a dog’s adrenal function is wanted due to a poor medication response or the fear that a dog may be overdosed.

Hopefully, the pre-Vetoryl cortisol level is what your new vet is talking about. A single baseline cortisol level taken randomly throughout the day does not provide the same monitoring value as a level taken right before the daily dose of medication. So I’m hoping this is what he/she has in mind.

Marianne

P.S. I see that Lori and I have the same thought ;-)
    Last edited by labblab; 09-25-2023 at 05:11 PM. Reason: To add.

I am not sure about the pre vetoryl test, cause he told me to bring her 5-6 hours after the dose, so i maybe did not understand well. I have to clarify that.

By the way the sores around her neck and head area was in fact the beginning of calcinosis cutis, she also has a smaller spot in her back. They seem to remain the same after the meds and have not progressed more. I also noticed that her legs must feel itchy, she licks them all time. I bath her with chlorhexidine shampoo once a week and use some aloe vera gel to help her with the itching.

I am glad she started the meds, she is already better, her mood also is different, she seems younger and more energetic. Sometimes i am thinking she is lucky her previous family abandoned her, she was probably left untreated for much time.
    Last edited by medusa; 09-27-2023 at 11:33 PM.

I'm glad to hear your dog is doing better on the medication. Don't forget to clarify the pre-vetoryl test timing with your vet. Lucy is lucky to have found a loving home with you!

Hey medusa, I just wanted to tell you that I am following you and that I greatly admire your compassion for Lucy.

Thank you all for your nice words and support.

I decided not to risk it with the next door vet and I rescheduled the test with the big clinic , the one that visited for a second opinion and I trust the vets, they have an experience with Cushing's. They prefer the ACTH and not the pre-vetoryl test.

In general i have the feeling that she maybe needs a bigger dose, the urination and drinking are better but yet not seem very controlled and i have the feeling that the last days she pees more again. Her hunger also is huge.
    Last edited by medusa; 09-29-2023 at 09:09 AM.