Thread: Hi all, foster girl with Cushing's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Hi all, foster girl with Cushing's

Hi,all. Marianne thanks for your encouraging words.

Just an update for the test.
    They definitely did an LDDS instead of ACTH test, i had the results today. They also did full blood work although we did one month ago. Normal sugar levels, ALP is lower than 9 months ago, was 650 then 250 now (6-180 normal)

These were the results ( she had the pill 3-4 hours before the test)
    1.3 μg/dl [ref. 0.7-8.0]
    3.0 μg/dl
    9.7 μg/dl

They told me to just stay on the same dose and that seems to work... I am not sure how they came to that conclusion.
    Thinking of continuing the meds as she seems ok and has no bad reaction and retest her in my vet in one month. ( i don't want to stress her more now, her small legs are full of wounds from the needles)

here are the results of her first ldds exam 9 months ago.
    26.2 μg/dl [ref. 0.7-8.0]
    11.8 μg/dl
    8.2 μg/dl

As i understand the meds at least work. Maybe someone can get something more from these results?
    Thank you!
    Last edited by medusa; 04-19-2024 at 05:21 AM.

Thanks so much for giving us these results. Unfortunately though, as I wrote before, I do not know of any way in which the LDDS test results generally can be used to make monitoring decisions after Vetoryl treatment has been started. Lucy’s baseline cortisol does fall within normal range, so that’s good. However, we probably don’t want it dropping any lower. Even though the normal baseline range for a dog without Cushing’s is listed on your labsheet as low as 0.7 ug/dL, we frequently see the desired results for a Cushpup taking Vetoryl to be at least 1.45 on both the pre and post-ACTH testing. As long as Lucy is generally looking well, you’re probably OK to still maintain this same dose for another month until you can have a genuine ACTH performed. But if she starts acting unwell before then, I’d halt the Vetoryl until you can recheck her cortisol to make sure it has not dropped even lower.

And as far as those original diagnostic LDDS results, I can’t remember whether we already talked about them, but they are indeed consistent with Cushing’s, and also with the form of the disease caused by a pituitary tumor.

Once again, you’re doing a great job taking care of her. She’s a very lucky little girl to have you!

Thank you again Marianne.

I know these exams are useless, and i am so angry cause Lucy was stressed for nothing and i still have to pay for the right exams. The only thing that i know for sure is that I ll never go back to that clinic again.