Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: “Shivering from Vectoryl ?”

Default “Shivering from Vectoryl ?”

My 13 year old lab was recently diagnosed with Cushings. She was started on 120mg of Vectoryl at day 5 she appeared to be shivering ever so slightly almost undetectable. Being overly cautious we contacted her Vet and were told to bring her in to receive a shot of Dex.Shivering stopped very quickly.Her dose was dropped to 60 mg and started 4 days later.After 2 days on the lower dose once again noticed the shiver.She has shown no other serious adverse reaction to Vetoryl. Was curious if any other pups have experienced this.

Default Re: “Shivering from Vectoryl ?”

Hello, and welcome to you and your girl! As you can see, I’m a Lab lover myself ;-)))). In answer to your question, yes, tremoring or shivering episodes have been noted by quite a few members here throughout the years. Since your dog’s shivering stopped once her Vetoryl dose was lowered and the dexamethasone was administered, it may well be the case that the shivering is related to a dose of Vetoryl that is too high for her — either a side effect of the med itself, or the result of a cortisol level that has dropped too low. If that’s the case, the return of the shivering may indicate that even the new dose of Vetoryl is still too high for her. Recent research is suggesting that larger dogs may be more sensitive to the effects of Vetoryl, with the recommendation that initial dosing levels be lowered for dogs weighing more than 40 pounds. Here’s a link to a related research summary that was recently posted by one of our administrators here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/155a...s5kmGrNmtAjBXA

Having said all that, it’s also possible that your dog’s shivering is not related to the Vetoryl, but is somehow a symptom of Cushing’s, itself. I’ll go ahead and repost a reply that I wrote to another member a couple of years ago. I do think the info remains pretty, accurate, however. So go ahead and take a look. Afterwards, we’d love to learn more specifics about your dog’s diagnostic and treatment journey. With more information, perhaps we can make addition suggestions on your dog’s behalf. And once again, welcome!

Marianne

Tremors and "shivering" episodes are indeed complaints that we've heard before. My own Cushpup was one who suffered unexplained tremors before starting treatment, and for a period of time afterwards. There is still a lot that is unknown about Cushing's, and episodes like this seem to remain one of the mysteries. As Leslie says, tremoring has been listed as a possible side effect of trilostane, but my own dog started his tremoring before he was even placed on the medication.

Under the "Adverse Reactions" portion of Dechra's U.S. Product Insert for Vetoryl, "shaking/shivering" was reported in 10 dogs out of a total of 107 animals included in an American clinical trial. The big question, of course, is whether the shaking was truly caused by the drug or instead by something else. Since the shaking was observed in dogs during the time period they were taking the medication, it had to be listed as a possible side effect. But I don't think Dechra knows of a specific mechanism that would cause this effect.

As I say, my Cushpup definitely started tremoring prior to being treated with trilostane, so the drug couldn't have been the original cause. However, the tremoring did worsen after treatment was begun. So who knows exactly what was going on. For what it’s worth, here’s a related reply I posted to another member a while back.

Through the years, we have had other members who have worried over unexplained tremoring episodes. My own Cushpup, a Lab, suffered from intermittent involuntary tremoring episodes across his shoulder blades that made him look as though he was shivering. For him, the episodes happened most often when he was sitting down or at rest -- even when he was sleeping. Sometimes he would jerk himself awake, they were that severe. But just as is true for your boy, he would usually just stretch afterwards and never seemed to be in any particular pain or discomfort. The tremors began before he started trilostane treatment, worsened significantly when he first started the drug, and then ended up stopping entirely a few months down the road.

We never did figure out what caused them. Through the years, other members here have reported similar issues with their dogs under a variety of circumstances: some using trilostane, some using Lysodren (another medication), and also dogs not yet being treated at all. For this reason, it has been hard to point to a single "trigger." It is true that tremors are now listed as a possible side effect of trilostane. But I've always wondered whether such tremors more often just somehow relate to rapidly changing cortisol levels. But the good news is that they didn't really seem to bother my dog at all -- it was ME who was going crazy trying to figure them out!

Thank you for responding. A little more info on her shivering episode. It is only noticeable in her neck/ chest area and is very hard to detect and doesn’t seem to cause her any discomfort. Mine and Irma’s vets fear of an addisons crisis is the main concern. She will restart her 60 mg in the morning and be monitored closely with us having Pred dose just in case. We are still trying to get her 2 weeks in to have another levels test to see how the meds are actually working. If it appears the 60 is still to high her vet will drop the dose down again Monday and continue on. Thank you so much for the links after reading them I think we are on the right course and proceeding safely but Irma’s vet and myself are being overly cautious.

I’m so glad those links seemed helpful. You are definitely doing the right thing by monitoring carefully for overdose, and hopefully the 60 mg. will turn out to be a good dose for Irma. We’ll be really interested to hear how things are going for you two, so please do update us as you have the chance.

With my own boy, for the most part his shivering was subtle enough that a casual observer might not have really noticed it. I was watching him with such an eagle eye, though, that nothing ever escaped my attention! Also, he usually napped and slept nearby me, and I could feel the intermittent tremors when I laid my hand on him. It truly did seem like shivering although he was not cold. Anyway, I hope Irma’s shivers will end up causing no more actual problems than did my boy’s.

Best wishes,
    Marianne

Hi and welcome from me, too. My Gable, who is my second Cushing's dog, is a lab mix and he is currently on 5mg of Vetoryl. He weighs close to 80lbs and we started on 40, which was too much for him. He did have some trembling issues years before his diagnosis, mostly at night where the whole bed would shake. I don't think I ever noticed it during the day. I always thought he was afraid to be upstairs. Eventually, I let him stay downstairs by himself and didn't think anything of it.

My first Cushpup, Lena, had the trembling before and after Vetoryl. She was only about 6lbs and on 30mg at the time of her death. The trembling could have been the increased Cortisol as we never did get her symptoms under control.

I also hope that the dose is not too high for Irma.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Quote Originally Posted by Joan2517 View Post
    Hi and welcome from me, too. My Gable, who is my second Cushing's dog, is a lab mix and he is currently on 5mg of Vetoryl. He weighs close to 80lbs and we started on 40, which was too much for him. He did have some trembling issues years before his diagnosis, mostly at night where the whole bed would shake. I don't think I ever noticed it during the day. I always thought he was afraid to be upstairs. Eventually, I let him stay downstairs by himself and didn't think anything of it.

My first Cushpup, Lena, had the trembling before and after Vetoryl. She was only about 6lbs and on 30mg at the time of her death. The trembling could have been the increased Cortisol as we never did get her symptoms under control.

I also hope that the dose is not too high for Irma.
    I really appreciate all the info. So far today she has shown no adverse signs. The shivering episodes tend to show up at the 8-10 hr mark after she received her dose. From what I’ve read that’s around the actual time the meds effective range starts to decline. I’m curious with your pup that’s 80lbs and started on 40 mg were you able to continue that dose safely for the 2 weeks until the level test had to be administered? My fear of Addisons out ways the Cushings right now. Thanks again for all the help

I can't remember how long he was at that dose, I would need to go back and read his thread. I know we actually lowered it to 30 at one point. Then about 7 or 8 months later I noticed an increase in drinking again and was going to raise it back, but he just didn't seem himself, so we did an ACTH test and it had dropped so low we had to stop. They also found that his thyroid meds were too high which could have contributed to it. I am so glad that I didn't raise it. We started back at I think 10 after a few weeks, but it was still too low, so we went to 5mg. He's been on 5 for at least a year, maybe more and it was going well, but I need to get him tested again because his drinking has increased, he's panting like crazy and his food aggression has gotten out of hand. He may need to go back up to 10, but I'd rather his cortisol is high than have to worry about an Addison crisis. He very sensitive to the Vetoryl.

I'm waiting for a check to clear and then I will have a full workup done, and I think a spa day, nails clipped and medicated bath (he has allergies and gets hot spots that get infected). Before Vetoryl he had lost most of his fur around his lower back. After being on the meds for a about a year, his fur came back beautifully and has held steady at the 5mg. He's a big boy and I just can't get him into the tub or shower without hurting my back. I bought a child's pool a couple of years ago thinking that would work...nope!

He is 12 years old and is starting to have the back end weakness and because he's so big, getting up and down is starting to be a problem for him, but he never complains and still tries to do whatever our other dogs do. Because of this forum, I know more than I did with my precious Lena. I didn't rush into treatment with Gabe the way I did with her, and I told the vet what dose we would start him at. Luckily the vet I work with now listens to me and works with what I want. He has also learned a lot from what I bring to him from what I learn here. It's been better this time around...
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Update on Irma. So we are now on 10mg of Vetoryl pushing towards the 10-14 day mark to get an ACTH test done to check her levels.She’s about a Week in on this dose.As for the shivering episodes we are almost convinced at this point it was not a reaction to the meds but had to be and will continue to be overly cautious.She takes it in the morning with her breakfast and has some early help with her Cushings symptoms but still haven’t been on it long enough yet. Now every evening about 7:00 or about the 12 hour mark after her dose the symptoms really get going water intake,panting,restlessness and doing what I call the “low rider” were she drops her rear end while standing.This goes on for 2-3 hrs until she finally will relax somewhat but she still gets up through the night every 2 hrs on the dot. We try to calm her by petting and giving her a massage rub down which helps. The improvement we are seeing already is she appears to be coming out of the foggines her personality and some interest in things starting to show. Late next week we will know a little more but I’m encouraged on the direction everything is going.

Thank you so much for this update. I absolutely agree with you that it’s better to be safer than sorry, so I applaud your decisions going forward. We’ll be very anxious to learn the monitoring testing results next week, and it may well turn out that a higher dose can be tolerated going forward with associated symptom improvement. We’ll surely hope for that improvement very soon.

So carry on, and please do check back again next week if not sooner.
    Marianne

I feel kind of dumb offering any advice as I'm just beginning to post out here on our Dog Cooper. So consider this more sharing of information on what I've observed.

Cooper has faced the shaking and shivering off/on from the beginning of his Cushing journey. Its not all the time and is rather sporadic. I do NOT believe Coopers has had anything to do with Vetoryl as he has been off Vetoryl for a few months now(just starting back on it as some may know who are following the thread). The poor guy has lost so much hair that we kind of thought it was due to being cold. Its been 80+ most of the summer so now we just believe it is another of the Cush symptoms.