Thread: Any experience with Cushings and thyroid problems?

Question Any experience with Cushings and thyroid problems?

Hello everyone,
    I just found out that my 7 year old Havanese cross has Cushings disease, the vet also said that his thyroid was the lowest she's ever seen in a dog. I'm just wondering if this is a common thing? I hadn't ever heard of Cushings disease until a few weeks ago. Does anyone have experience with treating both conditions?

Default Re: Any experience with Cushings and thyroid problems?

Hi and welcome to you and your baby!

Low thyroid is common with Cushing's. But it is rarely true hypothyroidism but rather a condition called Sick Euthroyid Syndrome that is caused by the Cushing's. Once the cortisol is back to a more normal level the thyroid will often return to normal as well with out treating that gland. Some dogs do have both conditions but I wouldn't start treatment on the thyroid until the cortisol was under control.

Can you tell us what signs you were seeing that prompted the testing for Cushing's in the first place? Also do you mind posting the test results that were used to diagnose the Cushing's?

How much does your baby weigh? Keep in mind that the starting dose for small dogs is 1mg per pound. So a 10lb dog should start at no more than 10mg. Larger dogs have proven to be more sensitive to Vetoryl for some reason so recent studies recommend starting large dogs at no more than 30mg regardless of their weight.

I'm glad you found us and look forward to seeing those test results soon.
    Hugs
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.