Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 yr old Maltese just diagnosed. So overwhelmed! Vetoryl questions

Default Re: 15 yr old Maltese just diagnosed. So overwhelmed! Vetoryl questions

I also signed up here for suggestions: https://www.justanswer.com/help/. 2 vets on here says I should start treatment with Vetoryl... Still don't know. You could sign up and get answers as well. Just more opinions, but it's up to us to make decisions.

Default Re: 15 yr old Maltese just diagnosed. So overwhelmed! Vetoryl questions

Quote Originally Posted by Maggiemoo1 View Post
    Thanks Lori!

Now I’m really concerned. Do you think we should stop the vetoryl?
    I believe stopping the Vetoryl is a good idea right now, and I did see that you have done this, great job!

Could the thyroid actually case a false positive on the LDDST? And her adrenals are both slightly enlarged. Ugh. I’m so frustrated!
    Any non-adrenal illness and even stress can cause false positive results on all tests for Cushing's which is why strong obvious symptoms play a huge part in the diagnosis of Cushing's. The adrenal glands can be enlarged due to any chronic illness, so yes, a thyroid issue could be a cause of those adrenal glands being enlarged.

Lori

Default Re: Gastrointestinal issues with vetoryl

Pepcid should be given 20-30 minutes before the Vetoryl is given, also you want the regular Pepcid AC not the fast acting or slow releasing kind.

I purchased my Slippery elm bark online, I'm including this post from one of our Moderators, Leslie, with info on SEB:
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirt's Mom View Post
    About that diarrhea. My little Trinket had colitis and it is SCARY when it comes on bad. All that blood! But we started using herbs called Slippery Elm Bark and Marshmallow. SEB is the one most well known and the one most here have used but Marshmallow has the same properties and has worked just about as well as SEB when I have used it. I will say for the really stubborn cases the SEB is what I use. These herbs work as a sort of bandaid throughout the digestive system, seeking out, finding, and healing that whole track from mouth to rectum. Here are some links about SEB and one where you can purchase safe herbs of any kind (Mountain Rose Herbs).

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/is...es/5455-1.html

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/slippery-elm

https://healthypets.mercola.com/site...-diarrhea.aspx

https://www.thepossiblecanine.com/sl...e-differential

https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/pr...powder/profile

I always use the powder from with my animals because you can so easily make anything from a thin soup to a thick gruel - what the case calls for. You MUST give the SEB/Marshmallow 2 hours before or 2 hours after all other meds, supplement, herbs, etc because these herbs will prevent the absorption of other meds. Just in case you weren't aware - diarrhea is one of the side effect of the Zonisamide so that may be having a bearing on this issue too. I think the SEB/Marshmallow is worth a shot for your precious baby boy. Be patient and give the herb time to work in his body.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    Lori

Update
    Maggie saw the vet. Electrolytes checked all ok. He suggested a reduction to 5 mg per day and gave metronidazole just in case.

Checked her thyroid with the MOST EXPENSIVE panel ever. Normal

First dose of vetoryl today and she had soft stool again.

Wondering if she just shouldn’t take this medication. Scary bc she needs treatment. Her blood pressure was so high vet put her on meds.

Is there anyone who had the same GI experience after beginning vetoryl? Did it stop? How long after begging? Please!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated

Update
    Maggie saw the vet. Electrolytes checked all ok. He suggested a reduction to 5 mg per day and gave metronidazole just in case.

Wondering if she just shouldn’t take this medication. Scary bc she needs treatment. Her blood pressure was so high vet put her on meds.

Is there anyone who had the same GI experience after beginning vetoryl? Did it stop? How long after begging? Please!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated

Did you try the Pepcid and Elm Bark as suggested before? I'm still waiting to here back on Pookie's thyroid. It has been over a week and now her hair/skin is peeling away from the middle of her back. I hope your pup will be ok. I'm also wondering about Probiotics or something else to help the GI. Wish I had some experience with this med, but I haven't used it yet.

Update

I took the liberty and copied your updated post and placed it in Maggie's original thread so that all of her information is in one place.

Besides the soft stool, is Maggie experiencing any other GI issue, such as nausea or vomiting?

Quote Originally Posted by Harley PoMMom View Post
    I took the liberty and copied your updated post and placed it in Maggie's original thread so that all of her information is in one place.

Besides the soft stool, is Maggie experiencing any other GI issue, such as nausea or vomiting?

Thanks!
    No other issues at all! Vet and manufacturer think it may subside after her body gets used it it. She has had two doses of metronidazole and she’s much better. I just don’t want to keep her on it! I also know she’s going to need a higher dose and that scares me.

Any thoughts?

Vet said probiotics may help. Also gave us RX clay. It didn’t really help so we used the metronidazole

I haven’t found the slippery elm yet.

Pepcid usually works for vomiting for Maggie. I think this is more of an intestinal inflammation.

I hope the meds work for your baby, because I may have to start Pookie on them. I'm still waiting on her Thyroid test to come back, which was over a week ago. Given the immune suppression of cortisol in our dogs, I'm supplementing Pookie with Vit C twice a day. Since Cushing's has effected her liver and her kidneys were failing last month, I have her on Azodyl, SubQ's, Denamarin Advanced, and Vit B12 shots once a week. I also give Pookie fishoil, Pepcid, HMR lignans, Kidney Gold, and just started alternating Kidney Gold and Adrenal Harmony, and a little Ginkgo Biloba again. Since my vet hasn't recommended Trilostane, I have to be my own vet and see what works and doesn't work for Pookie. It's dangerous to experiment with our own dogs, but I feel leaving Cushing's untreated is not a good idea. At the least, I think VitC is needed if their immune system is being suppressed. Since Pookie is suspected of have been dealing with Pancreatitis, her CLP still shows a light positive, but the Vet said it could take time for that to resolve.