Hello,

My baby Pookie, which is a 15 ½ year old Pekingese has been suffering from Cushing’s for a year. The vet advised not to treat until the water and food intake excessively increased. She started of with panting and has had acth, low & high dose dex. The vet feels it’s pituitary based. Recently, I took her in because I wanted to start Trilostane with her, but her Kidney values were high after the Vet did another ACTCH test. They also found a minor UTI, which I’m hoping her Kidneys were high. After this test, my Pookie was excessively panting and listless/lethargic. Brought her to the ER for IV’s and antibiotics and her Kidneys got normal again. Now the main concern is her weakness and her lack of appetite. She doesn’t eat much at all and I’ve been feeding her Gerber baby food by syringe. Before the recent ACTH test, Pookie was doing pretty good. I had her on melatonin, lignans, ginkgo, adrenal harmony, fish oil, and denamarin advanced for her liver. Now I’m extremely worried about her and hate Cushing’s. I just started to give her the supplements she has been used to, because she has been off of them for 10 days. Maybe these supplements were helping her all this time, but I want to do everything I can for her. Her right eye is red too, which has got me worried. The vet gave antibiotics for the eye, but it didn’t change anything. Luckily, I have been on vacation this week and have been able to help my Pookie get by. She was running before the ACTH test and after that, Pookie went downhill. I don’t know if it was Adrenal fatigue, Macroadenoma possibility (loss of appetite and red eye), or her being off her supplements. She has been through so much the past 10 days and was going to have an MRI done, but held off to give her a break. Any clues, suggestions, or feedback would be appreciative. Pookie has a half sister who is older and is doing just fine. Pookie sleeps well, but her weakness and loss of appetite has me very concerned. I know she is old, but her blood tests are pretty good given the circumstances. She has always been a strong girl, and still carries herself outside to pee, but it’s challenging for her. I know that day may come for me to put her down, but if it’s Cushing’s that’s causing this or Old Age, I don’t want to put her down if something can help her. Sorry for all this info,
FK