Thread: Our Silver Belle Labrador~Athena has crossed the Rainbow Bridge

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Update on Athena

I had a long post typed here and removed it. I should have shortened it but I started to type and it all came out. I'll try to keep it short as I can.
    Athena, as everyone know was diagnosed very young with Cushings
    When we got her as a puppy we didn't know she had been bitten by a Lyme Tick. The people we got her from never told us ( but they later told us they knew. They were afraid we wouldn't take the puppy. That would have never happened. She was ours lock stock and barrel good or bad).
    Our first Vet found out after some testing and then shortly there after came the Cushings Diagnosis For Lyme she was treated with a big antibiotic and did well and then had a negative test afterwards.
    Fast forward to her going through treatment with Vetroyl and it nearly killing her twice using two different dosages. We took her off and just winged her treatment best we could to keep her going and happy. It was very frustrating but she was just not well at all on the me.
    Fast forward to Dec 15, 2018. We had to put our beloved boy Axle down. Athena and Axle were very close. We never saw any dog ever grieve the loss of a dog the way she grieved Axle. We were all heartbroken but we had to let him go because we loved him so much and promised all our dogs a wonderful life and when it was time..no suffering...just a peaceful journey to the rainbow bridge.
    Suddenly Athena started doing the same thing again. Drinking gallons of water, unable to get any weight off, etc. All signs of that nasty Cushings. We took her into the Vet two weeks after losing Axle because she wouldn't eat and it took all we could to get her to eat enough to take her pain med for the damage/arthritis to her rear leg joints due to the Cushings/Lyme. So there we were in the vet office ( we have a new vet after the first vet was horrendous. We've had this new vet for a few years now)
    They did all sorts of blood work, exams, etc..nothing over the top just a good overall exam.
    As we were discussing her Cushings history and all with the Vet Tech. The Vet came back in quickly and said "Athena is Diabetic".... I felt weak in my knees. All I could think was HOW MUCH MORE CAN THIS BEAUTIFUL CREATURE TAKE... Her numbers were off the charts. How did we miss this? The Vet said we didn't. The symptoms are much like Cushings except the weight loss but we thought that was due to her not wanting to eat after losing Axle. So... They immediately set her up with Humlin NPH insulin. We started out low. She must have this particular insulin and we get it from the pharmacy. Very costly but we don't care. She can't have the generic kind or the one people get at Walmart for 25 bucks. Her's is 170 a vile and she needs two a month because now she's up to two viles a month ( 30 units twice a day). We had to work up to that amount. Athena was very resistant to the insulin and her number were awful. The first few months were touch and go then suddenly after awful curve test results and all she started to come around. Since she couldn't d be on Veteroyl-we actually tried the lowest dose and she's a big dog but it nearly killed her again and we refused anymore of it. We were very apprehensive about starting that stuff again but they tried the lowest dose possible and same thing. She nearly died. ( the vet wanted her Cushings dealt with again because otherwise her Diabetes wouldn't get under control) We had to place her on a compound version of the drug from a pharmacy in Arizona. She actually responded to that one for whatever reason. Finally after so many touch and go moments trying to stabilize her she turned the corner and once again Athena was acting like a young dog, she lost more weight that she needed to lose, she played like a 6 mos old puppy, she was running despite her rear legs not being the greatest but it was amazing to watch.

All the hard work, keeping a logbook, never missing a dose of anything, her special food ( she's on RC Glycobalance which has been the only food to work for her) she was like a new Lab... I get tears thinking about it because she just became this vibrant lab again.

Then out of nowhere 4 days ago she lost her vision. OVERNIGHT. GONE. just like that. We knew there was a high chance of it ( 80% of dogs in the first 9 mos ) but we hoped she would FINALLY catch a break and fall into the 20 % category after everything.
    No such luck.

We couldn't believe it. I know that people will say dogs without their vision do well, they don't use their eyes like humans do and more so use their nose but to watch it was horrible. She bumped into things, she had to learn to navigate ( we helped her) and she has been very anxious and confused. She's very sensitive now to sound. The worst has been watching her missteps and trying to make sure she doesn't hurt herself. Her back legs are not the greatest which is our concern. If she had a stronger set of legs it wouldn't be so bad.

Watching her look around but not really looking at anything is tough. I know we are to not feel bad for her. People say she doesn't feel bad for herself but I'm sorry I see her confused, anxious and no matter how calm we stay and encourage her it's been tough. We are using all the things to help her with small treats to navigate and scents and anything she needs.

There isn't a thing we wouldn't do for our dogs. Our Vet and her techs told us many times that if there is such thing as reincarnation they want to come back as one of our dogs.

I'm trying to keep my emotions in check but I'm so heartbroken inside. This girl has been dealt one bad hand after another ( like me with serious medical issues which is why I'm so bonded with Athena) and it's like another big punch in the gut.

We've done everything right so far and moved nothing and she's been adjusting here and there but it's so tough. My concern is hear back legs and if she falls and breaks a leg. It's over. Athena is not a candidate for surgery at all, not for cataracts, not for any injury because while she's doing better with things her diabetes is not totally stable but it's the best we're going to get for all she has going on. Other than this loss of vision she's been so happy and doing great. She actually found her toy last night and was playing with it. It was sweet to see but when I look at her eyes I see that strange color now and it's gut wrenching.

They want to do a tonometer test on her eyes but they want to give it another week so that she's not as anxious or the result will not be accurate. Her being anxious at all and this being new but I'm thinking no matter what she will be anxious because she will still not realize where she's at and she's always anxious at the vet even when she can see. She just hates going ( she's never forgotten her bad experience with our old vet when she was spayed and had her nails cut. Long story)

We just don't know what to do? Are we doing the right thing just going with the flow? This is affecting her quality of life to some degree. Is it right to keep going? We don't know what to do. She played that one time with her toy but now for the most part she sleeps. She always with me. I can't stand people saying "don't feel bad for her, she doesn't feel bad". While I don't show her I do feel bad. I don't believe she doesn't feel bad. I know her the best and I see her personality has changed. I want her to be safe. I don't want her to go out because she fell and broke a leg.

Also, if she can't have surgery....does this mean she will develop awful painful glaucoma because I can't have this beautiful girl suffer with the pain they say that causes. How do you even know if it's that or cataracts. We don't see the Vet till next week. Reading the stuff on these two things ( Cataracts vs Glaucoma) is confusing at best.

Any input is appreciated. Thank you. Sorry for sounding like a crazy person. I just wish this beautiful girl could have been given one stinking break!!!! Even though she is currently anxious and confused she still a strong beautiful girl and an amazing dog. I just wish she could’ve been given one stinking break

Thank you

We aren’t even sure at this point what she can see your can’t see

Thank you for listening I tried to make it short but didn’t work out that way

Her meds are as follows twice a day every 12 hours.

1/3 tablet of Compound Cushings Med
    1 Carprofen
    30 units insulin
    Tramadol in between as needed
    RC Glycobalance food A mixed bag of wet and dry every 12 hours with her insulin
    Her treats are diabetic friendly treats along with homemade ones
    Last edited by WeLoveAthena; 06-24-2019 at 09:02 AM.