I have been keeping a close watch for Addison’s symptoms and I have some prednidale (steroid) tablets at home, provided by my vet, in case his cortisol is too low.

He does still have increased thirst and does need to go to the toilet more frequently, and of course has the breathing issues, but he has a voracious appetite and is not lethargic. I always keep an eye on his bowel movements, these tend to be soft as he has IBS but he hasn’t had diarrhoea.

However, I take your point about regular ACTH testing. We will be having another test in the next couple of weeks.

He has always been a quiet dog and likes to keep himself to himself – he came from Eastern Europe and was shut down when I first got him, clearly he’d had a difficult life and was very nervous of people. He’s absolutely wonderful with all other animals though – including cats. He was a street dog, likely put out on the streets when he got older and was no longer required as a ‘guard dog’.

He doesn’t covet attention, I think he has never had any love so he’s a little unsure about why I want to give him a cuddle or scratch his ear. I try not to impose but he has these beautiful, soulful eyes so it’s difficult!

Like everyone else on the forum, I want to do everything I can for my boy. It can be so difficult to know what to do when the same symptoms have different causes. I really wish I could do something to help his breathing – it’s so distressing to see. However, the next step should be another ACTH test.

Thanks for your support and please let me know if you think of anything else that might help with the breathing.