Thread: Calcinosis Cutis treatment thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Calcinosis Cutis treatment thread

Hello, I'd like to offer this thread to catalog calcinosis cutis treatment journeys so that we can learn from the successes of others. I have started documenting my dog, Phoebe's, battle with CC, and you can find the google photo album here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RilEfECYugjNWcXR2

I will be periodically updating that album and this thread. Phoebe's CC appeared about a week into treatment (60mg Vetoryl 1x/day) as a thickening of the skin traveling down her spine from the back of her neck to almost her tail. Right after we first noticed it, her hair would pull off in clumps with very little effort. The vet took a sample to test, and we are waiting on the results. However, since she has been diagnosed with Cushing's, the consensus is that it is CC. We are currently treating with MiconaHex+Triz medicated mousse 2x/day, and our vet prescribed cefpodoxime 100mg antibiotics (1x/day for 14 days) to battle any skin infection that may begin.

3/15/18 - ACTH stem test results:

Pre: 8.1 ug/dL

As I was informed in a different thread, the CC will most likely continue to form until her cortizol levels have dropped below 5 ug/dL. Our next ACTH stem test is scheduled for March 30. At this time, the skin does not appear to be bleeding, and seems to be sensitive, if not painful (she flinches when you touch near the effected area.)

Leah

Default Re: Calcinosis Cutis treatment thread

YAY! Good for you! It will be good to have a place for those affected by this Cushing's complication to share what they learn and what works for their baby!

I would like to contribute to this educational thread on calcinosis cutis by sharing a thread where lots of info can be gleaned - http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/show...bey-has-passed
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Crosspost from lulusmom in a separate thread:

Quote Originally Posted by lulusmom View Post
    Lola, if you have a facebook account, I recommend that you join a relatively new group called Calcinosis Cutis in Dogs. You will see many pictures of dogs as well as read about treatments other members are using that might be helpful. You will definitely see pictures of French Bull Dogs. I have provided a link to that group below:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/988564191285009/

Here are a few pdf files I have in my library that members may find interesting/helpful.

Minocycline_as_a_treatment_of_dog_with_calcinosis_.pdf
    Calcinosis Cutis in Dogs - Histopathological and Clinical Assessment of 46 Cases.pdf

I am late to the party, Leah, but I think this thread is a great idea and I thank you for starting it! In fact, I’m gonna go ahead and make this one of the informational threads that stay “stuck” near the top of the forum index page ;-). It will be so good to have this place where we can consolidate related info/research about CC.

Marianne

Great idea Leah.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)