Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Wayne has crossed The Bridge / Wayne-Newly diagnosed 10-year-old pit mix

Default Re: Wayne-Newly diagnosed 10-year-old pit mix, horrible reactions to Vetoryl/Trilosta

Such fantastic news!! Thank you for coming back to let us know. Love to read good news!!
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Default Re: Wayne-Newly diagnosed 10-year-old pit mix, horrible reactions to Vetoryl/Trilosta

Yoo Hoo, what great news indeed!! Thanks so much for taking the time to update us! We love hearing success stories, and we wish you guys continued improvement ;-).

Marianne

Great update! So happy to hear that Wayne is doing better! As for expenses, check out this link (you may find some aid you qualify for) - http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/show...with-Vet-bills
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

I’m so glad Leslie gave that link to you, and one additional thought occurs to me. Just within the last couple of weeks, those of us in the U.S. have learned that many vets in the U.K. and Europe have shifted away from using ACTH stimulation tests to monitor trilostane treatment unless there is a worry that a dog’s cortisol may have dropped too low. Instead, they are simply measuring resting cortisol right before the next dose of trilostane is due to be given. New research supports the notion that this actually gives better guidance re: the need for dosing increases, and it’s certainly a heck of a lot cheaper. Take a look at this link and the monitoring flowchart that’s included. Your vet may be very interested in this info, as well, and might be willing to investigate it further on your behalf.

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/show...=1252#post1252

Marianne

Very interesting, Marianne! I think the vet who figured out the diagnosis tries to be very cost-conscious for her clients, but I admit I would feel very awkward giving advice to her on how to save us money... But this is really fabulous news, and I will keep it in mind. Maybe she'd be willing to work with us to implement this alternative testing method starting after the next ACTH test.

And Squirt's Mom, I will check those out! Thank you for the link!

Your ace in the hole, though, is that the researchers are endorsing this protocol not because it’s cheaper but because they believe it actually provides more accurate information upon which to base dosing decisions. The fact that it’s cheaper is a fringe benefit ;-).

http://veterinaryrecord.bmj.com/content/179/23/597

I just read the study - how awesome! I would feel way less awkward broaching the topic with my vet if I had something in hand as good as this. Thank you so much!

Okay, so maybe I spoke too soon... Wayne seems to have yet another infection. This time it is on his lower eye margin (though not the eyeball itself, more like the lower lid). It was not there last night, and this morning, it is swollen. At first it looked like his eye was bulging out but on closer inspection it looks like just the skin beneath his eye. Either way, it is scary. I am assuming it is an infection because of the Cushing's but I am wondering what else it could be, so we'll be making another trip to the vet. We just finished the antibiotics from his prepuce infection a few days ago! I really hope this isn't some kind of drug-resistant bacteria that survived the 2 weeks of antibiotics, but of course I'm getting ahead of myself. I will keep you guys posted. I hope this isn't related to growth of the pituitary tumor - I know that can cause visual problems, but I didn't think it would cause symptoms like this.

Oh dear, poor you and poor Wayne Do let us know how it goes and good luck.

Oh no! Just when he'd been doing so very well. What did the vet say it is?
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)