Thread: Newbie questions/intro - Fluke.

Default Newbie questions/intro - Fluke.

Hi everyone. I'm writing about my boy, Fluke. He's an 8 year old BC x aussie. He's super active and competes in flyball and disc. Last October I had his uncle pass from spleen cancer and so I ran some routine blood work on Fluke 6 months earlier than I would have. I expected everything to be normal but did it just because I had just lost MOTH and wanted to make sure all was good. Well his ALP and ALT were elevated. His ALT was over 900. We did an ultrasound and xray and all looked good. Started him on Aventi and retested bloods 2 weeks later and ALP was normal and ALT had gone down. Fast forward until now; we've done a urinalysis test, thyroid test and went to a board certified radiologist who did an ultrasound too - all came back clear. We then did a bile acid test and it came back in the grey area. Stumped as no other symptoms. Certainly of all our dogs (we have 9) he's the 3rd oldest and probably the most active. Then I realized a month after his last ultrasound that his belly fur didn't grow back well... and then I noticed a very small patch of missing fur on his shoulder. So we hesitantly tested for Cushings and low and behold he came back positive for it. He weighs 48 lbs and so on Saturday we started him on 60mgs of Vetoryl. I knew nothing, and still don't!, about Cushings but the bit I read makes me think back to certain things and think hmmmm interesting.. Fluke used to sleep through the night very well, but for the past several years he's up super early and any flinching and he's ready to get up and go go go. I've read that some Cushings dogs are like this and when the med works they even out a bit? I've also been questioned about treating him with homeopathics instead of with the Vetoryl with supplements and food changes... I'm certainly not against that but I worry in doing so that he will get the pot belly and will muscle waste... any thoughts? Suggestions? His ALT is now between 151 and 186 (normal is 125). We go to the 10 day test for the Vetoryl in a week... Thanks in advance!! (I'd post a pic but I have no idea how LOL)

Default Re: Newbie questions/intro - Fluke.

Hi and welcome! I have manually approved your post so members can start replying to you soon. Please check your email for a message from K9Cushing's - you will need to reply to that message in order to release your account. An admin may be along and fix this for you but just in case they are all tied up, check your email.

Here is a link from our FAQ section on photos, albums, etc - https://www.k9cushings.com/forum/faq...atures_avatars

Glad you found us and look forward to learning more about you and your sweet baby boy, Fluke.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi and welcome to you and Fluke! Hopefully, you can follow the instructions re setting up an album and posting pics so we can see your handsome fellow.

If you have done any reading on the forum, you will already know that, in order to provide you with the best guidance we can, we ask members to provide us with the actual results of tests performed, for Cushing's specifically as well as blood tests and urinalysis. With regard to the diagnostic Cushing test that was done, please tell us what tests were done as well as the numbers. If an ACTH, there would be two numbers: a "pre" and a "post". If an LDDS, there will be three numbers. If you would, take a look at the last ultrasound that was performed and let us know what, if anything, was stated regarding the adrenal glands. With regard to the blood tests, you need only post those items that are marked "high" or "low" such as the ALT and ALP which you have mentioned. You would need to post the specific result as well as the range.

I will say that the lack of typical Cushing's symptoms stands out to me as well as the normal ultrasounds but, after you provide us with additional info, perhaps we will have a clearer picture.

We have a great resource forum where you can spend lots of time reading about Cushing's. Of particular interest will be the technical brochure produced by Dechra, the manufacturer of Vetoryl. Here is a link to that particular document:

http://www.animalhealthinternational...s-v6-15-15.pdf

Others will be along with their thoughts -- again, welcome and I am glad you found us!
    Judy H. (Always "Maggie and Abbie's Mom" & now "Sadie Sue's Mom")
    Venice, FL

Hello and welcome to the forum.

How is his drinking and eating? And yes do you have the numbers of the cushings tests available to post? Was there any other test results out of range other than ALT/ALKP? You said the bile acid was border line. Did any sludge show up on the ultrasound in gall bladder?

I know lots of questions. If you caught it early enough and you can get a good post ACTH reading on the follow up test after starting vetroyl, somewhere up to 9.0ug post but not over, then perhaps any muscle wasting from high cortisol can be decreased. It is the high cortisol that causes the muscle problems from my understanding.

Keep an eye out for any lethargic behavior, not eating, drinking. The starting dose is normally 1mg/1lb since the manufacturer changed the starting recomendations.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)