Thread: Akita Scalping Hair Loss Forehead

Default Akita Scalping Hair Loss Forehead

Dear all and anyone,

I need some help with our 11 month old Akita who is losing hair on his forehead. When his hair comes off it comes off with skin which has dried off and scalped. I would really appreciate your guide with identifing a solution to cure our little big buddy.

Please help!!!

Default Re: Akita Scalping Hair Loss Forehead

Oh your poor boy I really don't know what could cause the hair to fall out only on the forehead, or are there other places on his body too? Has he been seen by a dermatologists? If not, than that is what I would recommend as they might be able to identify what is going on from a skin biopsy.

I wish I could have been more helpful Keep us updated.

Hugs, Lori

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The problem with your pup's loss of hair on his forehead is not an issue that is normally associated with cushing's. Hair loss pattern in cushing's is normally limited to the torso and tail. The hair on the head, legs and feet are usually not affected. Does your dog have cushing's and if so, can you share his history with us, such as what prompted you and your vet to pursue a cushing's diagnosis and which tests were done to diagnose him. Is he currently being treated for it and if so with which drug and at what dose? Have the required acth stimulation tests been done to determine if the current dose is appropriate? If so, can you post the results of his last test? Aside from the very odd hair loss, is he showing any clinical signs that are more commonly associated with cushing's, such as excessive drinking and peeing and a voracious appetite?

I apologize for not being able to be of more help at this point but it would help us immensely if we knew more about your boy. However, given that the hair loss you described is so different and nothing I've ever seen in all my years of monitoring threads, I would suggest that you have your boy seen by your vet asap. If your vet does not know what the problem is, I would definitely ask for a referral to a veterinary dermatologist.

Glynda

Hello and welcome. I would take him to the vet. Have books run and also have then take a sink scrapping to see if there is a dermatology reason for the hair loss.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

kanga Guest

It's kinda symptoms of
    "Alopecia why dont you check this. to help to treat your dog.