Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugar Has Cushings

Unhappy Sugar Has Cushings

Hello, my name is Debbie. My baby is Sugar. She is 14 1/2 and has had cushings for over 5 years. She is on trilostane, blood pressure medicine and several natural supplements. For the first years she did very well. A couple of urinary infections and skin issues .Doing very good. But in the last year and a half she has declined quite a lot. Hair has become very thin and she has hearing loss. At times she seems to forget were she is at in the house. The most concerning is her loss of muscle in her hindquarter and hindlegs. From her ribs to her tail is very narrow. She can no longer stand. Lots of weakness. I use a harness to help her walk. She has also lost 4 pounds in the year and a half. My vet thinks the muscle issues and weight loss are from long standing Cushings. He said Sugar is his longest living Cushing dog. Most live only 2 to 3 years. Is he right. Is this type of muscle issues from the Cushings. He did say that there is a small possibility that she has an issue in the head or base of neck. But an mri or cat scan would not be an option for her because of age and health issues. His advise is to keep her comfortable as long as possible. I knew this day would come, but it is heartbreaking. Sure could use some advise. From me and Sugar, thank you.

Default Re: Sugar Has Cushings

Welcome to you and Sugar! I'm sorry I have only a moment to post right now, but I wanted to let you know that I've moved your thread here, to our main Questions/Discussion forum. This way, our members will be more likely to see your thread and have the chance to respond to you.

We're really glad you've found us, and I'll try to return, myself, before long.
    Marianne

I appreciate that Marianne. And for the warm welcome. I realize that Sugar is probably nearing the end of her journey with cushings. When she leaves, I hope I can say I did everything possible for her. That is why I am here. I hope I am not missing anything that perhaps could help her. Her bloodwork is still good. Only thing she has is a low albumin which the vet does not seem concerned with. Debbie

Hello and welcome from me too. aI think if she has lived with cushings for several years, then you are doing an excellent job for Sugar and have definitely given her a good life and done all you can for her.

How long a dog lives with cushings, mostly depends on age they are diagnosed and the normal life span of the breed, and other health issues. We've had dogs not survive very long and others go for years and years, I think 8 years is one of the longer ones I know of from the forum.

It is true that cushings often does lead to muscle loss in the hind legs, so does age. My dog is 13 and she has problems with the rear legs (also has luxating petulla), but on this last grooming I too noticed how thin she has gotten from ribs back. I think it is maybe some cushings and maybe some age related. She too is on blood pressure medication.

It's hard when they get older, whether they have cushings or not and we Never want to lose them.

So the albumin is low. Is it always low, and is it grossly low or just a bit low? I'm guessing a bit maybe if the vet doesn't seem to be concerned?

Low abumin can go along with several disease, such as kidney, liver, pancreatis, etc. If it is very low it can be a problem, if it is just a one off barely low then maybe not so much. You basically want to see if it is trending downwards on a continuous basis.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

What a kind thing to say Sharlene. Thank you. I truly hope I have done the best I can for Sugar. It is sad to see her struggle to walk. I do not let her see me cry as I know there will be plenty of time for that when she is gone. I have asked my vet if she will in time lose use of her front legs. He really does not give me a direct answer. So, Does cushings in time take all muscles and use of all legs. I have not read that as a part of the disease. At 14 1/2 would any one this site attempt to do a cat scan or mri. Her albumin is a 2.1 with normal 2.4 - 3.6 range. Your Molly is so adorable and I hope the best for you and her. .

Hi, I'm new here too. I'm sorry about your sweet baby Sugar. But I also wondered about Cushings and the use of the legs. When my boy tore his ACL in Oct., the xray was the least expensive option, and we were afraid of surgery at his age. My vetsaid his hips were good but the ligaments in his legs were weak from the Cushings. So he gets laser therapy on BOTH legs. But I do notice muscle loss in his body, and I can feel his spine & hip bones. He has been on limited activity since the injury, but I need to let him have some fun and stop being so overprotective. We have a vet appointment today, so I will ask about the use of his legs. We have not done cat scans, MRI or ultrasound, because the end result would not change how we treat his disease. We feel the money is put to better use on his Denamarin and Vetoryl, laser therapy and his favorite treats of course! Love to Sugar from Whiskey

Hi Debbie,

What a great mom you are to Sugar, taking care of her with Cushing's for 5 years! I am sorry she is having a rough time now. What kind of dog is she?

Shana

Usually the muscle weakness is in the rear legs from what I can tell from being on the forum and seeing any number of cases throughout the years. If you start to see front leg weakness, then possibly an xray would be able to show if there are any spine issues.
    Would I do an MRI or Ct Scan at Sugars age, doubtful. If you aren't going to do surgery or extensive treatments, then I don't know that is would be the best use of money for Sugar.
    Last edited by molly muffin; 04-25-2016 at 05:10 PM. Reason: reword sentence
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Thanks to Whiskey's mom and Shana. Both of your babies are darling. Love the names. I hope Whiskey will continue to do well.. Sugar sends her love back to Whiskey. Shana. Thank you for saying I am a great mom. I truly hope so. I still wonder if I could have changed something in terms of her leg weakness. She is a maltese and as her name indicates, she is white. She use to weigh 8 pounds but weighs a little over 4 pounds. Very skinny looking. Probably a pound was her hair. She use to have tons of hair. . And Sharlene, I will watch for front leg weakness. Debbie
    Last edited by My Baby Sugar; 04-26-2016 at 09:59 PM.

Please don't be too hard on yourself. You love your pup and she loves you that's the important thing.