Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sadie my 7 1/2 year Weimaraner has been diagnosed with cushings today

Default Sadie my 7 1/2 year Weimaraner has been diagnosed with cushings today

. Hello, I am new to this forum. I ran across searching the Internet for information on cushings. I am devastated my baby has been diagnosed with cushings. We go back to vet for 3rd test tomorrow to find out if it is adrenal or pituitary. This all started last year she had a little knot on the side of her bell. My old vet said oh it nothing but a fat pocket. My weim is over weight. I always thought it was due to her bloat surgery as a puppy. She has always been a big girl. 100lbs. Anyway, this knot continued to grow and as it was getting bigger I became worried. I took to a new vet 2 weeks ago to have it removed. He annual check and gave her yearly shots. We schedule the surgery for the next week to remove what he called a lipadema. It is a ft knot but actually a tumor per the vet. Mind you it is the size of a cantaloupe. It was a golf ball last year and the other vet didn't seem concerned and she didn't act as if it bothered her. Meanwhile, I took her back for the surgery and he ran blood work. They called and said they can't do the surgery because her liver enzymes were 1800 and they should be 200. He asked how long she has been over weight during the annual visit and I said all her adult life. He also ran a thyroid test which came back fine. So he said with her liver enzymes being so high we need to perform a cushings test on her. You will need to bring her back for the 8 hour test. So here we are today with the results. Tomorrow we go back for the high dose Dex test. If pituitary they will treat with medicine for four weeks before they try to remove lipadema. If adrenal they stated we have to go to UGA to have surgerywhich is $4000 dollars. I don't have this kind of money. I am so upset I am praying pituitary is the kind. I am not ready to lose her. However, after reading some threads here I fear she may go into liver failure or some other issue. I don't have her numbers yet. But I will ask for them tomorrow to publish here.

Default Re: Sadie my 7 1/2 year Weimaraner has been diagnosed with cushings today

Hello and welcome to you and Sadie! I have only a moment to write, but I wanted to alert you that I've moved your post here, to our main discussion forum. This way, our members are more likely to see your post and reply to you directly.

Marianne

Default Re: Sadie my 7 1/2 year Weimaraner has been diagnosed with cushings today

Thank you I am seeking all advice and support I can get. My heart is broken. She is my baby and she is the first word all four of my grand babies have said (all under 3). They call her "aide".

Hi and welcome to you and your girl!

Cushing's is not a death sentence for a dog, it is a treatable disease, I know that right now your head is swarming with all kinds of dreadful thoughts regarding your furbaby's diagnosis but trust me once your knowledge about Cushing's grows that fear will lessen, ok?

Now, does your sweet girl have a lipoma or lipedema? And, yes, please do get those test results and post them here. Some of the common symptoms from Cushing's are increases in drinking/urinating, a ravenous appetite, skin/hair issues, pot-bellied appearance, exercise intolerance, and difficulty or unable to go up steps or jump on furniture, does your girl display any of these? Does your girl have diluted urine? Dogs with Cushing's commonly have very elevated ALP liver enzyme levels. That ALP marker can be elevated by a host of other medical issues and even some medications can cause high ALP numbers.

The medications used for Cushing's do not to cure it, the sole purpose of treatment is to remedy problematic symptoms which is why strong symptoms play a huge part of the diagnosis for Cushing's. The two drugs generally used to treat Cushing's are Trilostane/Vetoryl and Mitotane/Lysodren, both can be used to treat the adrenal or pituitary type of Cushing's so I'm not understanding what surgery the vet is referring to unless he is talking about an adrenalectomy, which is a very expensive and serious operation.

As for that high-dose dexamethasone suppression test, I'd be more inclined to wait to have that done and would spend that money on an ultrasound instead.

I am sorry for the circumstances that brought you here but so glad you found us and we will help in any way we can.

Hugs, Lori

Hello, I am thankful for the post I have read a lot of post where you and Marianne have been very helpful. The only symptom I can tell is ravenous appetite and over weight. Yes, she has a lipoma. He stated he can't remove the lipoma because she would not be to handle the anesthesia with ALP of 1800. Due to the location of the lipoma at the right rear leg she is finding it difficult. To climb in the bed or on the couch. She now circles the floor to try and find a way to sit down. She still takes short walks daily. I asked the vet if they were going to do a sonogram and he stated no. This would be the last test before medication. I asked if he would please remove the lipoma soon because I want her to have a quality of life.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Not everyone whose dog has an adrenal tumor opts for surgery. Yes it can be a cure, but it is also very expensive. Some treat with medication just like the pituitary.

Ultrasound gives you a lot of bang for the buck and can confirm if adrenal or pituitary. (they look for a tumor on the adrenal gland).
    Even with treatment not all liver enzymes come back into range, some do and some don't. My dogs have been high for years, but her cortisol (cushings is controlled now).

Does she have any of the cushing symptoms as mentioned by Lori? Drinking tons, peeing a lot, accidents sometimes in the house, ravenous hunger, etc?
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

I see we where typing at the same time.

It being so big, I can see why they want to do a full anethesia.
    We did have a dog the forum who had a very large lipoma removed using sedation and local anaesthetic. He did very well. Same reason, they didn't want to risk full anethesia but it had to come off. Maybe you could talk to your vet about that option?
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Thanks I will ask them tomorrow. Now I wonder should I ask why the test and not a ultasound?
    Last edited by Sadielove; 03-31-2016 at 09:37 PM.

Well most vets would and do recommend the LDDS or the ACTH to check for cushings.

I personally thought of the ultrasound due to wanting to be able to do the surgery and it would show the state of the liver and if there where any other possibilities to cause the liver enzymes to co up, like say sludge in the gallbladder or something.

I'm just throwing thoughts out there that you can run by your vet.

Hello all. I have sadie's labs. I am not sure what this test is but here are the results.
    Baseline cortisol 13.90. Ref. .5-6
    Cortisol 4 hr 5.30 ref .5-6
    Cortisol 8hr 3.30 ref .5-6.
    Friday she had another 8 hr test. I think it was LDDS to determine adrenal versus pituitary. She has lost 4lbs but still a big girl at 116lbs. They stated when results come back wed they will know how to treat her with trilostane. I asked questions about removing the lipoma. Dr said have to get cortisol levels I. Line first depending on what type cushings. He said they checked her blood work.(22 markers?) and all was fine but her alph was 1800. I wonder if she could be having a gall bladder issue. She does not have any hair loss or frequent urination. She does seem hungry a lot, over weight, drinks a little more than usual not excessive.