Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Lena, Teacup Poodle w/ adrenal tumor - Lena is now an angel

Default Re: Lena, Teacup Poodle w/ adrenal tumor - Vetoryl

There is a gate, but when we are home we keep it open for our cat, who won't come any further than 4 feet from the stairs. He's afraid of our two rescues who would leave him alone if he would just stop running away from them! With the gate open he can still feel like he's a part of the family and can get down quickly and hide if they chase him. Our older dog who died in 2011 loved him and he loved her, so it confuses him that these two rush at him. Lena used to taunt him when she was the queen bee and even though he is huge, he used to run away. Now that she is so different, they tolerate each other and sometimes share the space by the stairs. We will figure out something high enough to keep Lena from taking another header, and low enough that he can hop over it without getting hurt. His hips dislocate sometimes when he runs or jumps.

Tomorrow Lena will have her blood work done and I will sit with her for the two hours and we will see what it shows. I don't want to raise the Vetoryl any higher.

Has Molly changed the way she interacts with you? Lena used to be a part of me, attached to me all the time. Now she will only sit with me for a few minutes and then wants to get down. She used to stand up on my legs and ask to be picked up...I wish I remembered the last time she did that. I miss everything about the way it used to be. I miss hearing her nails on the floor, now she mostly slides; I miss hearing the way she used to eat her food in the bowl, now I make it special because she stopped eating the kibble by itself; I miss how she used to cuddle up next to me in bed, now she sleeps on the other side of the bed...I just miss so many things...

Molly was never a cuddle muffin. She has always preferred to do things her way and interact with us on her terms. Mind you I've had her since she was 11 months old and that is just her personality.
    She hasn't actually changed much from that, other than maybe a bit more needy actually than she use to be, but that is mainly due to her sight issues I think. She doesn't play like she use to but still will have the odd day when she'll drag a toy out. She isn't going to play with her ball much though, since she can't actually see it.
    So, yes there have been some changes, and I miss playful silly molly, of course I do, but she is 13 now, cute as a button and I just tell myself, that well, my grandmother didn't really want to get on the floor and scamper with the kids when she got older either.
    As Renee said, you will find your new normal.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Default Re: Could really use some strength and support/ Calcinosis cutis

I am so nervous about her ACHT test today...dreading what the results will show. I am consumed by all of this! It's hard to concentrate on anything else. I'm a fixer, a problem solver, the one everyone goes to! And I can't fix this for the dog who has been my heart for almost 15 years.

The others keep trying to distract me and I feel bad that they are worried. My big boy Gable, a rescue from a Georgia shelter, is my number 2 love and he follows me around and sits close by my side and watches. He is my guardian...I know they are all safe while I am at work and he loves Lena.

Hi Joan,

I have taken the liberty of moving your post about Lena's ACTH today to her thread from where it was posted on Abby's thread. This way, members can respond to you about Lena here, and about Abby on her thread. Thanks!

Let us know how it goes today and don't worry! Easy to say from where I sit, huh? But the ACTH is not that hard on most babies. Some will show some signs of elevated cortisol again after the test but this is not unusual so if you see that, don't panic.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Default Re: Could really use some strength and support/ Calcinosis cutis

Deep breaths. Whatever the results are, once you have them, then you can make decisions. It is all about knowledge when it comes to Cushing's. I don't know how anyone gets through it without learning a ton of stuff.
    You will be fine.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Thank you, Sharlene and Leslie...she just took a long, and I mean long, walk around the backyard, navigating the snow like a real pro! And thinking clearly about where to step and working her way back. A few weeks ago, she would've been lost and I would have had to slide out there to get her! Some days are so good <3

Dear Joan
    This is where you will get support, guidance and love. There will be good days,bad days, and so so days. I would do the same with my Apollo when he would get the Ach tests. I would sit with him, go for a walk, hold him while waiting for the test results. I fought to keep the dosage on trilostane low because he would not do good on higher dosages. I also realized every moment I still had with him was a blessing. Enjoy the moments,they are gifts.
    Apollo and I adapted made adjustments as the disease progressed. But I treasured every moment I had with my baby boy.
    Think,learn, pause,question before you make any decisions. Cushing so is a very complex disease.
    Love Sonja, Angel Apollo
    Last edited by apollo6; 01-30-2016 at 03:36 PM.

Thank you, Sonja...yesterday was a good day. She was quite calm at the vet's. We went out for a couple of pee pee walks and she sat in the window looking out over the parking lot and didn't even get agitated when other dogs came in. Her blood pressure is down to 120 (yay) so at least that is better. Met a lot of nice people while we waited. One man who dog sits and also takes in rescues and tries to find them homes. He also pays their vet bills, God love him! Another person in the waiting room gave me his contact information and told me the story.

My two grandsons spent the afternoon with us and she managed to take a nice nap. They can be exhausting, even though she can't hear anymore.

She was in such a deep sleep before bed last night that I hated to wake her up to go up to the bedroom, but I hate to change our routine...she is very regimented!

Love,
    Joan

Good morning all!

Does anyone know if any of the following herbs would not be okay for Lena?

I have been putting a teaspoonful of this tea in her breakfast and dinner since December. It's supposed to be good for everything and my husband uses it religiously. It is also supposed to work for animals.

It's called Essiac Tea Formula, ingredients are: Blessed Thistle, Burdock Root, Kelp, Red Clover, Sheep Sorrel, Slippery Elm Bark, Turkish Rhubarb Root and Watercress.

Tastes like dirt, but is supposed to lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol, shrink tumors, cure cancer, etc.

My husband hasn't had any health issues since he's been on it, so he thinks it should help.

I have no knowledge re: the other ingredients, but I do have this caution to note about slippery elm. It has been used by several members here with success for its GI-soothing properties. However, we have read warnings that it should not be consumed within two hours before or after Rx medications due to the possibility that it will affect the absorption/effectiveness of the drugs. I believe this is true for humans as well as dogs. There may not be enough SEB in this tea to really have a major effect. But since you have been needing to increase Lena's trilostane dose due to an apparent lack of control, if it were me, I would not be giving her anything near the time of her medication dosing that might interfere with its effectiveness.

Marianne