Joan, I totally support your decision to stay as safe as you can, especially given Josh’s extreme vulnerability. I know it will be hard to upset your sister, but truly, what *is* she thinking under the circumstances?? I’m guessing we’ve offended (or at least baffled) a few friends who’ve been trying to get us to join them for some “socially distanced” gatherings. But we know they’ve generally been willing to expose themselves to riskier situations than we have, and frankly, I still don’t want to be near anybody at all right now with our cases still surging here in our part of the country. So I encourage you to stick to your guns, and stay as safe as you can.

And I do understand your relief that your mom’s tribulations are finally over. For humans and animals alike, I do believe that release becomes a blessing when all pleasure is gone and daily existence is nothing more than mere survival. But the passing does change things forever for those of us who are left behind. How dear that Sibbie chose to comfort you as she did at that moment of time. Perhaps right then, there was indeed an overlay of spirits in the midst of the coming and going. And even though you’ll all miss your mom as she was at her best, I hope your whole family will now find comfort in knowing that she’s at peace. And that will give you more peaceful days, as well.

Love, Marianne