Thread: 10 y/o Chi/Pom mix; PDH turned Addison's; now Macro?

Default 10 y/o Chi/Pom mix; PDH turned Addison's; now Macro?

Our 10 year old Chihuahua/ Pomeranian mix was diagnosed with pituitary Cushing's 5years ago. He was treated with mitotane and unfortunately his adrenal glands were destroyed which caused him to have Addisons disease. We have been treating him with florinef and prednisone and he has been great...never know he was sick. Things changed about 2.5 months ago.Teddy started to refuse to eat....things have gradually deteraited now and he refuses mostly all food.we have had to force syringe feed him now for the last 3 weeks. The other change is he started with some mild head bobbing....this has progressed to 3-4 instances of head shaking,eye twitching and sometimes his front legs will give out....or he just lays down quickly cause he feels weird. We had a complete work up at ourr vet hospital.ultrasounds,radiograph,blood and urine. The only thing found was a small foreign object inside him. This thing is laying beside his kidney and pancreas. The vets there want to operate. I'm concerned as I would be putting my dog through major surgery. And I still have a dog who is aneroxic. Its becoming increasingly difficult to get his meds and liquid food into him. He is becoming aggressive and more difficult to feed. My local vet feels Teddy has a macrotumor. We tried dextamethasone and phenobarbital with no success in either appetite or the neurological signs. I'm at a loss as to what to do.......

Default Re: 10 y/o Chi/Pom mix; PDH turned Addison's; now Macro?

Welcome to you from a fellow Marianne.

I have only a moment to post, but you'll see that I've moved your reply from the "Macroadenoma" thread on our "Everything Else" forum to create a new thread for you on our main discussion board. Since you are in the midst of diagnostics with many question marks involved, it will be much easier for our members to talk with you directly if you have your very own thread. So here it is!

Wish I had more time to talk right now, but I'll come back later on, and I'm sure you'll be greeted by other folks very soon, as well.

Glad you found us!
    Marianne

Default Re: 10 y/o Chi/Pom mix; PDH turned Addison's; now Macro?

I'm sorry that no one has gotten back to you.

I do understand your concerns with a surgery considering the neurological signs already present and the risks of anthesia to an addisons dog and one with possible macro tumor.

What do the surgeons think the risks are of not doing the surgery? Also what about anthesia and what kind of chances do they give him of surviving the surgery.

I think those are questions that have to be answered, but I would be cautious too.

Welcome to the forum.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)