Hello, Everyone ~

From what I've read, this seems to be a welcoming site with really warm, helpful people. I will tell you this is a long post, but I'm trying to answer some of the questions that seem to be asked of the new folks. )

Here is my situation: My dog, Bibsy, a 10.5 y/o Peke, was diagnosed right before she turned 9 with Cushings. We had her tested because her hair had not grown back after a clipping and she was panting terribly. After testing, my vet (whom I've used for over 20 years) confirmed Cushings. He suggested Vetoryl.

The Vetoryl has helped immensely with the panting, but that's about all I can see. She can no longer go up or down steps. Since she has always been tied to my side, I carry her up and down the stairs with me. When she tries to jump off the sofa (I put her on the sofa because she can't jump up), her back legs can't make it.

Bibsy drinks a lot of water, has lost even more fur, but doesn't pant while on the Vetoryl. She has doubled her body weight from 10 pounds to 20.1 pounds. Her skin is very dry with her elbows and heels being especially dry and cracking. I rub lotion on her hairless areas daily and her elbows and heels several times a day.

Last October, she developed bladder stones and had emergency surgery to remove them. As you know, dogs with Cushings can develop very thin skin. Her incision did heal, but in one place, it almost looked translucent. Seven months later, back in May of this year, a huge blob extended from this area of her body. It was blood red, but not bleeding. I got her to the vet asap and when I got there, it burst. The vet immediately took her and 'debrided' (proper word?) the area telling me that the muscle was fine, but the material between the skin and the muscle was like mush. He did something different with the stitches this time and it has healed nicely; HOWEVER, she has developed yet another bladder stone and we are giving her meds for that as well. I'm afraid if she has to have another surgery in the same place, the skin may not heal a third time.

For the last six months or so, she will still bark and 'go nuts (you know in a good way)' when someone she doesn't know comes to the door; however, more and more often she just lies around with her eyes open and not moving. It's not the "I'm relaxed and feeling good" kind of not moving, it's an "I don't feel good" kind of not moving. Also, her breathing has become labored at times and she will snore terribly.

What I'm asking is when will I know she is near the end? I don't want to wait until she's miserable, but I want to keep her for as long as I can. When she barks, it gives me hope, but when she lays there with her eyes open and not moving, it scares me.

What is your experience and what are your suggestions to help me with my baby?

Thank you,

Camille and Bibsy