Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1 Vetoryl capsule, afraid to continue

Default Re: 1 Vetoryl capsule, afraid to continue

Quote Originally Posted by Jacie View Post
    Thank you all again. Just wondering...I have 29 30-mg Veterol. Would it be possible for me to open a capsule and divide it into 2 or 3 doses to be mixed in with food?
    Absolutely not! Please do not do that. These are not pills that can be split. It is very dangerous.

I have heard some pharmacies are able to take the pills and rewrap them into smaller doses, but I am not sure how that works or how expensive that is.
    Reneé
    Mom to Tobey, Ichiro & Skeeter. Foster mom for Polar Pug Rescue

“Animals have done us no harm and they have no power of resistance…there is something so very dreadful…in tormenting those who have never harmed us, who cannot defend themselves, who are utterly in our power.”—Cardinal John Henry Newman

Re dividing up the capsules myself -really just grasping at straws. Wouldn't have the nerve to do it. But checking with a pharmacy is a good idea if/when I come to the conclusion that i need to put him back on the vetoryl. Really think I need to see another vet first -preferably one who is more up to date on recommended dosages.
    Thanks to all of you.

That dose is too high for your dog. My dog was 16pounds and we started on 6mg twice a day...total of just 12mg. Also do not split the capsule or put it on food.
    You were smart not to continue. The newest recommended dose is for 1mg per pound of the dog, but I wouldn't even give 16mg to start.
    My dog has had real success on this drug but we had a low and slow approach...very low dose (and twice a day also means less at one time) and tweaking very slowly until symptoms are controlled. It can really help your dog but conservative use is best for safety and effectiveness.

Barbara

Hi Jacie, checking in on you and Beau.

How is he doing? Did you find a way to get the capsules split by a pharmacy?

Sharlene and molly muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)