Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Jenny, 8 y/o Maltese - Stop the meds - sweet Jen Jen has passed

Default Re: Jenny, 8 y/o Maltese just diagnosed - treatment?

Quote Originally Posted by 1DebbieJo View Post
    Thanks for the pharmacy info. My vet said we'd wait to buy a large amount until we're sure this drug is the right one and dosage for Jenny.
    The med does seem to make her not feel well. I'm watching her. I think it makes her nauseous. "(
    If that is the case, I really would ask your vet to lower her dose. You have much more to lose by overdosing than you do by starting lower and taking some additional time to work upward if a higher dose is warranted. Cushing's is a slow moving disease, and taking some extra time to gain optimal control is preferable to the possibility of serious side effects from overdosing.

Marianne

I just wondered if you are giving the Vetoryl with food? It has to be given with food that has a tiny bit of fat as it is fat soluble. You may have to lower the dose to be safe like Marianne said. I use Slippery Elm Bark for Tipper if she gets a tummy ache, but you must be careful that it is given an hour or more away from meds as it will affect absorption. Hope Jenny feels better. Blessings
    Patti
    Tipper and Tipper's Mom

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
    Mahatma Ghandi

How are things going today? Hope the tummy issues have settled down. Blessings
    Patti
    Tipper and Tipper's Mom

Mahatma Ghandi

Well, today, Jenny's skin condition has returned. While on antibiotics, it went away, but now one week later, it's back. I was hoping her new meds would control this symptom. What exactly is the skin blotches and lesions/rash? Anyone?

I am not sure what it is without seeing it. Cushings dogs do get lesions called Calnisosis Cutis where calcium deposits in their soft tissue. It can be very hard to control if that is what she has. A number of people on here have dogs with that condition. Blessings
    Patti
    Tipper and Tipper's Mom

Mahatma Ghandi

Ok, I just did see your replies on the top of the new page. Jenny only vomited that one time. The dosage she's on is in capsule form and I cannot cut this in half. She's not lethargic, eating, has not runs, or vomiting. Her panting is less. She was playful even I think I mentioned in the earlier post. But, her skin condition is returning as I just posted after 8 days off her Rx.

We just got back from a trip to the car wash and she's resting, but was happy to get to go. I don't know if she's ill, but her dry nose is gone. But, her general look has not quite returned, but that's just me I suppose worrying to death.

She sees the vet in a week for the 8 hour test or whatever the test he said he was going to do. I faxed the data on storing the expensive stuff to the vet and asked for further clarification. I'm sure we'll discuss it in a week.

I cannot believe that at only 8 she's got this horrible disease.
    She's gotten closer to me in the last two weeks, but I've been really doting on her when I think she needs some extra loving.

") One day at a time.

When you take her to the vet for her testing why don't you have them do a skin scraping to see what this really is? Blessings
    Patti
    Tipper and Tipper's Mom

Mahatma Ghandi

It looks like diaper rash and she licks the areas continuously. It's on her abdomen and near her rectum and vulva. Lesions first started on her back and looked like dry skin. Then became circular lesions. But now, they appear to be localized on her under-belly.

She'll be seen again in a week and I'll ask him to do a definitive diagnosis on her lesions.

Her panting is better at times. She sleeps with me and she does not pant while she's sleeping or resting with me on the bed. But, first thing this morning, after we got up, she started panting as we walked to go outside.

And, this is weird, but the male Maltese, Jenny's six year old son, has now become a regular lift his leg in the house dog. He did this as a puppy, and off and on for a few years, but now it's almost a daily thing. I'm going crazy with him baptizing our furniture.

Are these lesions raised? What you are describing sounds a little like ringworm to me as it is circular. I would want a skin scraping if it is not ringworm so you know how to treat it. It could be early CC, but without seeing it just guessing. There is something else I think Addy's dog Zoe may have had with her vulva, but I am not sure what it was called. I know the dogs can make it sore and keep licking it. Are you able to put an E collar on her to stop the licking? Blessings
    Patti
    Last edited by goldengirl88; 06-30-2014 at 02:29 PM.
    Tipper and Tipper's Mom

Mahatma Ghandi

Circular lesions - check for ringworm. Your description does not sound like CC. It does not come on as a 'diaper rash'. There are many pictures in some of our albums that document CC. My album has some really good, up close pictures.

CC is generally along the spine, back of the head, trunk, and sometimes down the legs. If she has CC, I do believe you'll need a biopsy to confirm, although I have heard of some vets diagnosing it by scraping. I just hesitate with that type of diagnosis. My vet did a scraping too, and could not tell at all what the lesions were. Most scrapings are looking for bacteria, viruses, etc. CC is not a virus, bacteria, fungus, or any of the things normally looked for under a microscope, which is why I don't understand how it could be diagnosed just by scraping.

Although it seems that CC is more prevalent than once thought, it is still rare enough that most vets will never see it, or maybe see it once in their career. My pug was diagnosed with CC by doing 4 punch biopsies.
    Reneé
    Mom to Tobey, Ichiro & Skeeter. Foster mom for Polar Pug Rescue

“Animals have done us no harm and they have no power of resistance…there is something so very dreadful…in tormenting those who have never harmed us, who cannot defend themselves, who are utterly in our power.”—Cardinal John Henry Newman