Thread: New member with a Lhasa Apso

Default New member with a Lhasa Apso

Hello,

New here after finding the forum with a internet search. I found out last week after my vet performed the Urine Cortisol and ACTH tests that my 13 yo Lhasa Apso Minni has Cushings. We go on Friday to another facility for an ultrasound of her adrenals to narrow down the type. After that I suppose they will let me know what course of action we need to take. This kind of took me by surprise and of course I'm very concerned about my little girls health. She's always been in excellent health until now. She still seems fine except for the thinning hair, ravenous appetite and taking on water like a camel.

I'm finding a lot of good info here to supplement what I've already learned about Cushings from the vet and internet so I'll just keep on reading.

Not really sure what else I can add or ask here at this point so I'll wait until the results of the ultrasound are back.

Ron
    MI, USA

Default Re: New member with a Lhasa Apso

Hi and welcome to you and your girl,

Sorry for the reasons that brought you here but so glad you found us. First thing I want you to know is that Cushing's is a treatable disease, really it is. Some dogs go undiagnosed for years and once treatment is started and they are stablized they go on to live their normal life span and usually with complete resolution of symptoms.

Getting copies of all tests that were done on your girl and posting any abnormal results will help us to provide you with more meaningful feedback. We are especially interested in those ACTH and UC:CR (Urine Cortisol: Creatinine Ratio) test results. Was an urinalysis done on your girl, and if so could you post those finding? Has other non-adrenal illnesses, such as thyroid issue or diabetes, been ruled out? Can you tell us how much your girl weighs?

Vetoryl/Trilostane and Lysodren/Mitotane are the two drugs that are generally used to treat Cushing's. These are strong drugs but are life savers for our dogs with Cushing's diease.

Please know we will help in any way we can so donot hesitate to askk all the questions you want.

Hugs, Lori

Default Re: New member with a Lhasa Apso

Welcome to the forum. You came to the best place possible to get help for your girl. I am sorry she is having troubles. When you get all the results like Lori said please let us know what they are so we can better help you through this journey. It will be OK and this disease is manageable. You have a very wonderful group of
    Knowledgeable people to help and support you through this journey. Blessings
    canceled
    Tipper and Tipper's Mom

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
    Mahatma Ghandi