Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharing Maggie's story

Default Re: Sharing Maggie's story

MODERATOR NOTE: I have merged your post about the vomiting into Maggie’s original thread. We normally like to keep all posts about each pup in a single thread as it makes it easier for members to refer back to the pup's history when needed. Thanks!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

If your vet did not tell you immediately to STOP the Vetoryl and bring Maggie in for an ACTH and electrolyte check when you told them about the vomiting, you need a new vet NOW. If you have not stopped the med, do not give another dose until you can chat with us for a bit.

Please, please, please get the test results and post them here. You paid for the tests, you have a right to the results. Don't let them give you any guff about getting them! If your vet is not willing to listen to you and talk to you when you ask questions, that is another BIG reason to find another vet today.

When I adopted Trinket I was told she was in kidney failure but once she was home and feeling better, those values improved greatly and that original diagnosis was proven wrong. Even if the vet happens to be right about Maggie, there are things you can do to help and give them quality time - more time than you think in many cases. BUT let's not worry about that right now. First get the test results and let us see them, ok?

You are not alone regardless. We will be with you and Maggie all the way.
    Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

It sounds as though you did have an ACTH and a blood panel performed, and the ACTH should be back today. Just wanted to tell you that if Maggie's cortisol and/or aldosterone levels have dropped too low ("Addisonian" condition), that could account for certain lab abnormalities that can be misinterpreted as kidney failure. So the results of the ACTH will be very important in conjunction with the other lab values. Maggie's kidneys may be fine, but other restorative treatment may be necessary to rebalance her cortisol or blood chemistries.

Marianne

Please no more Vetoryl. Did you vet describe the overdose signs to you? If not that is really sloppy practice. The vomiting, lethargy, won't eat, diarrhea, can't stand are all signs to stop the Vetoryl. You never give Vetoryl to a sick dog. It can always be restarted so don't worry about stopping it. Please post the test results so we can help you with this or you could run into problems. Blessings
    Patti
    Tipper and Tipper's Mom

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
    Mahatma Ghandi

...when I wrote and introduced "us" two weeks ago that I hoped I wasn't jinxing things as Maggie (12.5 year old cockapoo) was doing so well....no really, I am not that superstitious. But.....last Friday she vomited (first time in prob 8 years!) so I called the vet as I had been told that is a flag for a dog on Vetoryl...she said to monitor over the next few days but to come in if she got worse. She was then fine but she wouldn't take any meds, so called Vet on Monday...
    Maybe I am misreading the above but it reads to me as if you told the vet on FRIDAY she had vomited and the vet simply told you to "monitor" - nothing about stopped the med THEN or about bringing her in for an ACTH on Fri. The vet did not see her until Monday to do the ACTH - three days later in which Maggie was apparently still trying to take the meds. Am I off base? If so, I apologize for telling you to get another vet.