Hi, folks! I see familiar names among the moderators and, perhaps, some will remember me as the Mom to Cushing's beagles, Maggie and Abbie. A year after I had to let Abbie go I adopted Sadie Sue who was then 6 yrs. old. She is now 10 and was really healthy until about a year ago. Her first problem was severe diarrhea which was very difficult to treat --after trial and error with several different medications, supplements and diet changes, it finally improved. No specific cause was determined. Around the same time protein started showing up in her urine. Every time we tested urine the protein level increased. An internist was brought on board to try and determine the cause. An ultrasound was completely normal; cortisol levels were tested and were normal via a panel done by a Texas lab. The only abnormal result was a high level of pancreatic enzymes. The concensus was that there was an inflammatory process going on, probably due to glomerular (sp?) disease.
A week and a half ago I moved into a new home within a continuing care community. I didn't have to downsize so Sadie Sue's beds are the same, same recliner she likes to sleep in at night, etc. Before we moved my vet started Sadie Sue on telmisartan with the hope that would stop the increasing proteinuria. Tomorrow we have our first appointment with a new vet and have several tests scheduled as it has been a month since starting the telmisartan: a CBC, urine obtained by cystocentesis to run full urine tests and a UPC. During the last week Sadie Sue has been having episodes of heavy panting, every day her water uptake has increased substantially and tonight peed in the house for the first time ever in spite of going out to pee every couple of hours. This morning I got up from the breakfast table for a second and Sadie Sue tried to jump up on my chair to help herself to food. This totally out of character for her.
I put in a call to my "old" vet to ask his guidance before we see the new vet tomorrow but I have not heard from him. Since urine is already going to be drawn, I will ask that a UCCR test be added.
I donÂ’t remember how to post a picture. I will look around to refresh myself since it has been 5 years since my last participation. I will probably have to change my signature line but will leave it for now. Thanks in advance for putting up with my long post!