Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: My Baby Bonnie

Default Re: My Baby Bonnie

I believe you can get them at Walmart but the folks on k9diabetes will have much more information for you. Please visit www.k9diabetes.com and let them help you learn how to do home testing so that you know what is going on in Bonnie's little body and what the red flags are so you can be proactive rather than reactive when she crashes. When it comes to diabetes and cushing's, you need an experienced vet and an educated pet owner. When either or both are missing, that's when dogs get into trouble so please, please let Natalie's group help you. We'll be here for you on the cushing's front but cushing's needs to go on the back burner until you have the diabetes, anemia and HGE under control. I am truly concerned about Bonnie.

All right. Thank you for your help.

Ketostix or Ketodiastix are urine test strips you can buy at a pharmacy. If they don't have them in stock, they should be able to order them for you.

http://www.americandiabeteswholesale...s_1641_130.htm

Ketostix test ketones only. Ketodiastix test glucose and ketones. But with his blood sugar, a sugar test will be pointless and it would be much better to test blood sugar at home.

If you can take time to go to the main website, there is a lot of information there: www.k9diabetes.com

Natalie

Hi, I wondered if some of you may be interested in how Bonnie is doing. She is the best she has been since I got her. She healed from the HGE or whatever it was. I was really scared. She has had a few other short episodes of bloody diarrhea, but none in several weeks. She developed insulin resistance again. Her blood glucose fasting yesterday was 479, which is high, but much better than her usual over 800 reading. She is back on Lysodren. She has had 125 mg. twice daily on Wednesdays for almost three weeks (her third dose will be tomorrow). She is getting 8 units of insulin twice daily, and tomorrow I am to only give her 7 in case the Lysodren lowers her blood sugar. She sleeps a lot, but when she is awake she is pretty peppy. I feel like we are on an upward swing, and I am extremely grateful. One day at a time...

That is wonderful news!!!! I'm so pleased to hear that she is doing well. Congratulations. It's a tough journey sometimes and dealing with both is no fun, but you're doing an excellent job.

Sharlene and molly muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    Hi, I wondered if some of you may be interested in how Bonnie is doing. She is the best she has been since I got her. She healed from the HGE or whatever it was. I was really scared. She has had a few other short episodes of bloody diarrhea, but none in several weeks. She developed insulin resistance again. Her blood glucose fasting yesterday was 479, which is high, but much better than her usual over 800 reading.
    Thanks for updating us and I am glad she is feeling well. In a previous post Natalie asked if Bonnie was checked for ketones, has this been checked?

She is back on Lysodren. She has had 125 mg. twice daily on Wednesdays for almost three weeks (her third dose will be tomorrow). She is getting 8 units of insulin twice daily, and tomorrow I am to only give her 7 in case the Lysodren lowers her blood sugar. She sleeps a lot, but when she is awake she is pretty peppy. I feel like we are on an upward swing, and I am extremely grateful. One day at a time...
    I am a bit concerned about Bonnie though, was an ACTH stimulation test done before the Lysodren was restarted? Also, I'm assuming that Bonnie was started on a maintenance dose of Lysodren, the protocol for the maintenance dosing is for the entire weekly loading dose to be divided and given 2 or 3 times throughout the week. Another thing that concerns me is that the initial loading dose of 125mg twice a day, which was at the 50 mg/kg, was too much for Bonnie and her cortisol dropped too low. If this was me, I would have an ACTH stimulation test done and if the results show that she needs the Lysodren I would lower her maintenance dose to around 25-30mg/kg, which would be around 113 mg of Lysodren being divided and given throughout the week.

Hugs, Lori

Quote Originally Posted by Harley PoMMom View Post
    Thanks for updating us and I am glad she is feeling well. In a previous post Natalie asked if Bonnie was checked for ketones, has this been checked?
    Yes, but it has been a while now. I probably should check again.

I am a bit concerned about Bonnie though, was an ACTH stimulation test done before the Lysodren was restarted? Also, I'm assuming that Bonnie was started on a maintenance dose of Lysodren, the protocol for the maintenance dosing is for the entire weekly loading dose to be divided and given 2 or 3 times throughout the week. Another thing that concerns me is that the initial loading dose of 125mg twice a day, which was at the 50 mg/kg, was too much for Bonnie and her cortisol dropped too low. If this was me, I would have an ACTH stimulation test done and if the results show that she needs the Lysodren I would lower her maintenance dose to around 25-30mg/kg, which would be around 113 mg of Lysodren being divided and given throughout the week.
    I'm sorry, I just realized I miscalculated her Lysodren dose. She is getting 62.5 mg. twice once a week (1/8 of a tablet). I'll ask the doc if I should further split the dose. She did not have an ACTH stim. test. Are they expensive? I'll ask him about that also.

Thank you...I appreciate your help very much. I am learning more every day!

Janet

Baby Bonnie, 10 yrs. old, spayed, shih tzu/poodle mix, 10 lbs.
    Diabetic (no idea when diagnosed), 7-8 units Novolin N twice daily
    PDH diagnosed 1/15/14, Lysodren 62.5 mg. twice daily once a week
    Diet: Came to me extremely picky with a love for junk food. Currently we begin with a dry food (whichever brand/flavor she will eat that day) which she will only eat if I feed her on my lap out of my hand like a treat, usually 1/4 c. or less; then I break out the canned food, which right now is Purina One SmartBlend, 1/4 a can which I feed to her by the spoonful or she eats it so fast she vomits; then a couple of bites of yogurt; and finally, a small amount of peanut butter as her shot treat.
    Criminal activity: pilfers mints, candy, cough drops, granola bars if left where she can reach, most especially my purse; knocks over trash if left down when she is home alone, then chews and uses creative decorating abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by molly muffin View Post
    That is wonderful news!!!! I'm so pleased to hear that she is doing well. Congratulations. It's a tough journey sometimes and dealing with both is no fun, but you're doing an excellent job.
    Thanks so much! I feel inadequate, but then remember she most likely would not have lived if I hadn't adopted her. I'm not perfect or rich, but I do the best that I can.

Janet

Yes, but it has been a while now. I probably should check again.
    Since her sugar readings are fluctuating so high, I too, think that a check for the ketones is a good idea.

I'm sorry, I just realized I miscalculated her Lysodren dose. She is getting 62.5 mg. twice once a week (1/8 of a tablet). I'll ask the doc if I should further split the dose. She did not have an ACTH stim. test. Are they expensive? I'll ask him about that also.

Thank you...I appreciate your help very much. I am learning more every day!

Janet
    Unfortunately ACTH stimulation tests are expensive but this is the only way to make sure Bonnie's adrenal glands are able to produce cortisol. If a dog is feeling well while on treatment a baseline or pre reading can be helpful in determining if the dose is adequate but with Bonnie's blood sugar not stabilized I am afraid that would skew a baseline/pre result.

Also, if the ACTH stimulation post number is high than a maintenance dose might not be able bring the cortisol level down to within the therapeutic ranges.

Criminal activity: pilfers mints, candy, cough drops, granola bars if left where she can reach, most especially my purse; knocks over trash if left down when she is home alone, then chews and uses creative decorating abilities.
    Now that is funny, Bonnie is a feisty one!!

Hugs, Lori

Now that is funny, Bonnie is a feisty one!!
    Yes, she is such a sweet little girl & everyone immediately adores her. Then I find little wrappers hidden under or behind chairs, or a little candy stash, and a little adorable innocent-looking dog sits and wags her tail....she really would be a great pickpocket. I may have to put her to work to pay vet bills!