Thread: Can symptoms come on suddenly?

Default Can symptoms come on suddenly?

So, I lost Cooper to Cushings related complications in September and in November we adopted Layla, another beagle. She's been a joy and we absolutely love her. She can't possibly replace Cooper, no dog ever could but we love her. Anyway, she's been a great dog and has fit right in with our routine from day one, until tonight. She was extremely agitated, sniffing all around the house, along the baseboards, licking the ground, excessively thirsty and gassy. She was eating everything and threw it all up. Then when I put her in her playpen for the night she ate the wee wee pad. That's when I knew I had to take her to the ER vet. In December we had her boarded while we went to see our son in NC. At that time she was seen by our vet and weighed 24lbs., tonight she weighed 28lbs! 4lbs. in 3 weeks! Her belly is really distended and I'm so scared she has Cushings. Can the symptoms come on so suddenly? With Cooper it was gradual. You guys have so much experience and knowledge, please let me know what you think. The ER vet there was in a surgery and there were complications so I left Layla there to be seen tonight and she will call me after she examines her. It's a great facility and if necessary they will US her. I'm so scared they will tell me to have her tested for cushings. This is the same facility that told me to have Cooper tested.

Default Re: Can symptoms come on suddenly?

I've never heard of Cushings coming on suddenly. I wonder if she caught something while boarded? Maybe a parasite that is making her act starved?

Good luck!!!!
    Valerie

//^ ^\\ //^^\\
    (/(_•_)\) (/(_ "_)\)
    /''*''\ / "*"\
    (,,,)^(,,,)​ (,,,,)^(,,,,)
    ❤ ♥
    Daisy Bella

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dog's eyes." - Author Unknown

Gosh, I'm so sorry to hear about these problems! But I agree with Valerie -- Cushing's symptoms do not all suddenly appear overnight. I would suspect that something else is going on to cause this acute episode. Please let us know what you find out today, OK?

Sending big hugs,
    Marianne

I am so sorry for all that has happened to you with both dogs, but I agree with the others that there is something possibly in the abdomen- maybe fluid retention that could be going on from some other disease process. I will pray for you and your baby. Hoping for a good outcome. Blessings
    Patti
    Tipper and Tipper's Mom

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
    Mahatma Ghandi

So, I talked to the doctor at the ER a few times late last night. She ran blood work and took an X-ray. Everything looked good but Layla was still anxious so she gave her a sedative. I guess she had a really painful BM at 3 this morning as well as painful gas. I just called to see how she is and she's doing fine so, crisis averted! I'm so relieved. After posting this I started to realize she's probably too young to have cushings yet anyway. I think I'm just overly cautious now because of Cooper. Thanks so much to all for taking the time to respond but all seems to be well now and I'm going to pick her up and bring her home soon.

Of course you are cautious. I think that is perfectly natural. Coopers loss was quite traumatic and heart breaking, so it's perfectly natural to wonder what on earth is going on with Layla. Did the vet have any ideas of what brought this on?
    Cushings does arrive slowly, so anything sudden, I would think something else. Still have to get to the bottom of it though.

hugs,
    Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

For now they told me just to keep an eye on her and feed her a mild diet. She's back to herself for now so I'm relieved. They think it was anxiety brought on by her gastro problem. I need to follow up with my vet about the weight gain but she had an awful lot of gas so she may not have gained 4 lbs. after all.

I'm so glad that it was nothing serious! Having gas is painful when you can't relieve it immediately. Poor thing.
    Valerie

//^ ^\\ //^^\\
    (/(_•_)\) (/(_ "_)\)
    /''*''\ / "*"\
    (,,,)^(,,,)​ (,,,,)^(,,,,)
    ❤ ♥
    Daisy Bella

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dog's eyes." - Author Unknown

But gas doesn't weigh anything! Or do you mean from her being a little constipated that might have caused the weight gain?
    Stop worrying about what can go wrong and start getting excited about what can go right!