Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kasey, New to group- intro (9-10 y/o min poodle)

Default Kasey, New to group- intro (9-10 y/o min poodle)

I've spent the last few days reading through a couple threads..

My name is Tracey, owned by two poodles (Kasey the probable cush dog, Turner, 5yrs) in Central Ohio

Kasey- 9-10 yr old min poodle

History- He has been on thyroid meds since he was 4 or 5yrs old. He had some sort of episode right before, his eyes were tracking (jiggling), head tilting, had trouble keeping his balance, partial facial paralysis that has improved over the years. He has to blink with his inner eyelid. (The thyroid meds helped with the eye tracking, balance, head tilt)When I had a better job, I took him for acupuncture/chiropractic. It definitely helped the paralysis .

He has always had concentrated urine, rarely any infection. The vet recommended low protein diet but for both dogs wasn’t really feasible. When I got him from the rescue, they warned me that they had not been able to housetrain him. I of course that that I could.. ha ha.. There was no rhyme or reason to his accidents. The last couple years, I have just used belly bands on him. My mom comes over during the work week to let the boys out mid day.

Present day..
    About 3-4 months ago, he was rather quiet, not wanting to eat (extremely unusual), so to the vet we went. The vet put him on two weeks of Simplicef, boiled chicken/rice. He improved. About a month later he was bloated/retaining water. Back to the vet.. He is now on Lasix. He said to let him know how he did. He improved greatly, surprisingly his accidents became less frequent (assuming the Lasix was forcing his bladder to empty?). Few weeks later (after being so paranoid).. he seemed that to be having labored breathing, back to the vet. He is now on Enalipril, another trip he is now on Vetmedin. My vet suspects congestive heart failure. If I had the money to spare, I would absolutely have it verified by a cardiologist.

Kasey’s thyroid med was increased so I had to get his levels checked. I asked about getting some other levels checked (bun, creatine etc), they were supposed to ask. The tech, popped her head out and asked if he was “ravenous”? I said all the time! They said with his thinning hair, pot belly….. they wanted to get a urine sample to send out for a cushings test. Few days later, I got the call and the indicators (not sure what they were) are there. Next step is the ACTH(?) where he will basically spend the day at the vet. If he thinks I am late with his food, he stomps his feet, snorts and will bark. I have a few choice names/descriptions of this. It makes it VERY hard to give meds an hour before a meal! Periodically, I give in, choose my battles. I read in one of the threads that you can’t give the Veteryl when they have CHF? Or is it just a specific med interaction? What about the lysodren?. I know the acth test is $100+? Does that price go down after diagnosis? At least two of his meds I can get at Walmart for the $4..

Tracey & Kasey

Default Re: New to group- intro

Hi Tracey,

Welcome to you and Kasey! So sorry for the reasons that brought you here but glad you found us.

Cushing's is one the most difficult diseases to get a confirmed diagnosis for because not one test is 100% accurate at diagnosing it and nonadrenal illnesses can create false positive results on all tests for Cushing's.

How did the vet diagnose Kasey's CHF? Was an x-ray done? It is true that Trilostane/Vetoryl is contraindicated in dogs that have liver and/or kidney problems. Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors, such as enalapril, should be used with caution with Vetoryl since both drugs have aldosterone-lowering effects. More information about Vetoryl/Trilostane can be found here: http://www.dechra-us.com/files/dechr...ts/Vetoryl.pdf

If you could get copies of all tests that were done on Kasey and post anything that is marked abnormal that would help us a lot....e.g. ALT 150 U/L (5-50)...Thanks!

The initial expense with Cushing's is during the diagnostic phase, once the dog is stablized with treatment the cost does go down. Both the medicines, Trilostane/Vetoryl and Mitotane/Lysodren, which are usually rx'd for Cushing's can be compounded, that saves money too.

Please know we will help in any way we can so do not hesitate to ask all the questions you want.

Love and hugs, Lori

Hello and welcome from me too.
    You have come to the right place! There are many K9Cushing's angels standing by to help and stay with you every step of the way. They love details, test results, any information you can get your hands on. The more the better. We will do all we can to help, but be ready for lots of questions! So again, welcome Tracey and Kasey.
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Thanks! He was diagnosed primarily from xrays, his hack/cough that i forgot to mention in his history. He has no problems inhaling, but exhales in puffs or panting. My vet did recommend a visit to the cardiologist, but the $6-800 is my 20% of a much needed sleep study. I can't get a part time job if i'm not sleeping

Do they have to fast for the acth test? hope not.. my vet doesn't open until 9am, and during the work week they are used to eating 4-5am!

I tried to call my vet for info but they closed early for family emergency (which worries me to death, the family member is a dear friend )

Tracey

Fasting is usually not required for an ACTH stimulation test, and if a dog is being treated with Trilostane/Vetoryl then it is vital that they NOT be fasted.

Hello and welcome, so glad you found us, this is a great site, settle in and ask questions, knowledge is power...read posts, theres tons of info in them and get ready for encouragement along the way, one day at a time!!
    Letti and Angel Simba, Meeko too!

Hi. I just want to welcome you to the forum. It is so hard to diagnose cushings, one of the hardest and if anything else serious is going on, then it makes testing very difficult to get an exact reading on what is up.

We know that you have to sometimes just take things day by day and do the best you can with what you have. Not always easy, when trying to figure out your own medical problems too, which it sounds like you are. Those sleep studies can give you some good feedback, so I hope you get that figured out too.

If you are feeding at 4 - 5am then you are going to want to get the ACTH done at 9am sharp. You need to test within 4 - 6 hours of giving the medicine with a bit of food.

Did you figure out how to get replies, and see them? If not let us know and someone will help you with that.

Welcome again,
    Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Kasey goes in Monday for his first ACTH test.. praying there is no complications. i did forget to ask if he should still take his morning dose of meds.

Tracey

Hi,

He needs to take his dose with food and the test needs to start 4-6 hours after giving the pill. I usually try for 4 hours and keep that time as consistent as I can for each ACTH test. Sometimes that means being forceful when scheduling the test

We'll be waiting for the results
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

With Trilostane/Vetoryl it is vital that it is given with food and the ACTH stimulation test be performed within 4-6 hours after the morning dose of Trilostane/Vetoryl was given.

Here is a link with info regarding Trilostane/Vetoryl: Trilostane/Vetoryl Information and Resources

When the ACTH is done please do get a copy of those ACTH results and post them here...Thanks!

Love and hugs, Lori