Page 2 of 164 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Confused and Overwhelmed-Diagnosed Anal Sac Carcinoma (Woody has passed)

Default Re: Confused and Overwhelmed

Hello and welcome Tracy and Woody.

It sounds like your vet has things well in hand and is on his way to ruling in and out, what could be the issue.
    Leslie covered the pertinent about maybe DI if everything comes back negative. Either way, Woody can be treated and live out a good long life.
    I'm so glad that you and Woody found each other. A pair made for each other. Poor little guy, feeling so awful that he had an accident. My golden was horrified when she had an accident in the house. It just never happened and wasn't her fault, but hard to tell that to a dog.
    I'm glad you found us and you'll have a place to ask any question, have a constant support group, whatever you need.
    We'll be looking forward to seeing those test numbers. They help so much in trying to figure out what can be going on.

Welcome again,
    Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

I,m struggling tonight or this morning its 1 am in the morning in Scotland and Woody has had 2 accidents tonight, whilst I was in the bath, was only in for 20 mins or so surely that can,t be right. He had his evening walk at 10 pm then back out at 11pm for toilet break, tell me I,m not imagining this, tell me that it,ll get better, tell me whats up with him. (cry)

I will now spend the next hour or so sitting on the floor , speaking softly telling him I,ll make sure he gets better and that its not his fault that he has accidents and if I,m lucky he will come out from behind the sofa where he is at present hiding he is a sensitive wee soul but don,t tell him I said that he likes to think he,s a matcho dog ha.

If his results come back on Friday positive I know with all your help I will be able to deal with it and get Woody on the right track, but what if they are negative again and I,m left not knowing whats causing this

It will get better sweetie.
    With proper veterinary care and patience.

We've all been where you are right now and how I despised those little accidents.
    When you have a moment, and if you care to, please read through my thread "Daisy Mae had just been diagnosed with PDH".

It will give you a timeline of how we've progressed as an example.
    Last edited by doxiesrock912; 08-07-2013 at 08:27 PM.
    Valerie

//^ ^\\ //^^\\
    (/(_•_)\) (/(_ "_)\)
    /''*''\ / "*"\
    (,,,)^(,,,)​ (,,,,)^(,,,,)
    ❤ ♥
    Daisy Bella

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dog's eyes." - Author Unknown

Hi Tracy,
    Oh poor Woody, I am sure he feels awful and you do too. Make sure to get copies of all the tests and the results from the vet.
    If this comes back negative, then you give the DI med a shot and see if that helps. If not, then you get an ultrasound. But before any of that, we want to see the numbers.
    It's okay, we're with you. Do you have any pee pads that Woody could maybe use when he can't hold it? Put him in an area when you aren't with him, like when you are in the bath, or even bring him into the bathroom with you and put a pee pad down. It might take some time, but it won't hurt to try it.
    Arriving at a diagnosis is the hardest part to get through. It does get better, once you know what you are dealing with and have a plan. A plan can be a great and wonderful thing.

Hang in there.
    Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Hi Tracy,
    We all know how you're feeling right now, the beginning of this is just an awful worry....but it will get better for you and for Woody!!
    Poor little fellow is feeling so badly about his accidents.
    Puppy pads will definitely help if Woody will use them. If you put them in the spots where he's already gone he may go along and use them.
    I was feeling just like you only a few months ago. Thank goodness for everyone here on this board that helped get me through!
    My dog was diagnosed is April. It's taken a few months of dose tweaking but she's much better now. Hope you get answers from the vet soon so that Woody will be on the road to feeling better.

Barbara

My poor little Buddy NEVER had an accident and refused to use pee pads. He would burst something before peeing anywhere in the house. I felt really bad for him and worried that he would physically injure himself trying to hold it. As his Cushings took over, his rear leg weakness made him unable to use his doggy door anymore. It was stressful for both of us. I worried because he couldn't get out while I worked and would rush home each afternoon. Buddy stressed trying to hold it. My point being, I would have preferred accidents. Yes, accidents worry some dogs. Since Woody is already having accidents, maybe you could get him to eventually use a pee pad in an emergency. It helps to mark one with his scent from a previous accident, so he knows that it's okay to pee there. None of this is ideal. We all cope the best we can. I have often done the crying and sitting up ALL night thing, to the point of exhaustion. Then going off to work in the morning with little or no sleep. It does help to talk about it. At least, it did for me.

Hopefully you'll have some answers soon.
    Last edited by Budsters Mom; 08-08-2013 at 12:55 AM.
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Thanks again for all your kind words. Woody eventually came out from the sofa about 3 am and slept peacefully the rest of the night, where as me I slept rubbish, I kept watching him to make sure he didn't need out again. I,ve been this morning and bought pee pads, just have to hope that he will use them, this way he may not feel as bad when he has an accident. He did look at me strangely when I put them down and explained to him what they were for, don,t think he was listening though

Test result day is tomorrow and I,m feeling a bit sick about it all. I really cant believe that it takes so long to get a diagnosis, I had heard of cushings before all this but didn't realise how hard it was to diagnose until now. I have a really good vet which is half the battle I think and will listen to me rant on about Woody. Back at the beginning of all this he mentioned cushings but decided to rule everything else out, diabetes, kidneys, thyroid etc before cushings. I trust him as does Woody as we see him every month as Woody takes other medication, and needs to get it checked regularly. Thank god for pet insurance as the bill is sitting pretty high at the moment.

I,m popping to work for a few hours so will leave pads down and see if he uses it.

Tracy and Woody x

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

Hi and a belated welcome from me too.

It looks like you and Woody have settled in just fine here and have received some great advice.

We are all looking forward to those results as well.

Terry

PS -- What other types of medication is Woody taking at the moment and for what conditions?

Welcome to the forum. I know what you are going through as well as many others on here and it sometimes can be overwhelming.
    Please don't get discouraged. I have had to literally take one day at a time and not worry about things that might present themselves later.
    Your story is somewhat similar to mine as far as peeing goes and just when I thought he was stabilized last night I came home to almost a lake in the kitchen and excessive thirst again. Sometimes they throw you for a loop with behaviour but again, one day at a time
    Once you get your test results, you'll know what course of action to take and you'll feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by mytil View Post
    Hi and a belated welcome from me too.

It looks like you and Woody have settled in just fine here and have received some great advice.

We are all looking forward to those results as well.

Terry

PS -- What other types of medication is Woody taking at the moment and for what conditions?

woody takes fortekor I tablet 5mg each morning for a grade 4.5 heart murmour. It was diagnosed at the rescue centre so he has always taken it woody also has a luxating patella on the right leg but its not bad enough yet to operate I did think that his reluctance to jump up now was related to his leg but vet checked it and there has been no change to it. He also had an accident nov 2012 where he was running around like a loony jumped for his toy and landed funny he slipped 2 discs on that occasion L4 L5 but recovered well with crate rest, again I thought this could be why he was jumping on the sofa and struggling a bit with the stairs but an x ray confirmed although he has been left with a weakness all has healed. Oh sorry I ve just waffled on and given you info that's probably irrelevant a complete guide into woody,s medical history the only thing left is he is suffering from hayfever this year this is a first for him