Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Information Please (11 y/o Husky) Neeko on Vetoryl

Default Need Information Please (11 y/o Husky) Neeko on Vetoryl

I have an 11 year old Husky named Neeko who as of today was diagnosed with Cushings Disease. I am picking up pills called Vetoryl 50mg and will give them to him 2 times a day and in a week he will have a blood test. Can anyone please tell me if they have had great success with these pills or have they made your pets syptoms worse? I am so afraid of the cure killing him before the disease does and do not want him anymore tired and less active than he has been. Any experiences anyone may of had would be of great help. I am desperate as I am about to spend $108 on pills that may harm him before they help him..Thank you all very much

Default Re: Need Inforamtion Please

Hi and welcome to you and Neeko,

Sorry for the reasons that brought you to us but glad you found your way here.

Cushing's is one the most difficult diseases to get a confirmed diagnosis for because not one test is 100% accurate at diagnosing it and other non-adrenal illnesses can create false positive results on all tests for Cushing's.

Since strong obvious symptoms play a huge part in the diagnosis could you tell us what Cushing's symptoms Neeko is displaying? Also, if you could round up copies of all tests that were done on Neeko and post any abnormalities that are listed that would be great, we are especially interested in the results of any Cushing's tests that were done.

The two most rx'd drugs for Cushing's are Lysodren/Mitotane and Vetoryl/Trilostane. These are strong medicines but are life savers for dogs that have Cushing's.

With Trilostane/Vetoryl the starting dose is based on a dog's weight, could you provide us with Neeko's weight? Is he taking any other herbs/supplements/medicines? Does he have any other health issues?

Cushing's is a treatable disease but must be managed with the proper protocols. Experience and knowledge of this disease is very important, has Neeko's vet had any experience with treating dogs with Cushing's?

Please know we help in any way we can so do not hesitate to ask any and all questions.

Love and hugs, Lori

Default Re: Need Information Please

Hi:
    Just wanted to welcome you to the group. What tests were done to conclude Cushings? Please keep copies of them and could you post the numbers, as it will help everyone to help you. About the pills, My Tipper has been on them for a year. She had such severe symptoms that I feel she would not be here if it were not for the Vetoryl. Just one big thing I learned very quickly. Start on a low dosage. You can always go up. A lot of the vets start the dogs too high and then you have problems. Start low, you can always go higher after the dog adjusts. I believe you said you were using Vetoryl so you need to call the manufacturer. They have vets on staff to help you and your vet. If your vet is inexperienced at Cushings please find one who is. Dechra # is 866-933-2472. They will tell you the appropriate dose you dog should be on for his weight so call them, better safe than sorry. Just be vigilant about watching for signs that your dog is not handling the Vetoryl. Diarrehea, vomiting, won't eat. Did your vet give you prednisone? You will be ok and your dog will too as long as you watch him carefully and act quickly if any problems occur. Blessings
    Patti
    Tipper and Tipper's Mom

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
    Mahatma Ghandi

Hello and welcome from me too.

If you are giving 50mg twice a day then does Neeko weigh 100lbs?

Do you have the test results of the cushings test and any blood work that you could post? Just abnormal and ranges, and then the full results of ACTH or LDDS. Also, was a urinalysis done?

A dog with cushings, treated by a knowledgable vet and diligent owner can live our a normal lifespan. The key is the vet to know what they are doing and the owner to make sure they are doing what should be done and proper testing and medicine protocols followed.

Welcome to the forum
    Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Hello and welcome from me too.
    You have come to the right place! There are many K9Cushing's angels standing by to help and stay with you every step of the way. They love details, test results, any information you can get your hands on. The more the better. We will do all we can to help, but be ready for lots of questions.

The starting dose of Vetoryl should be no more than 1 mg. per pound per day. You are giving Neeko 50mg twice daily, he would need to weigh at least 100 pounds. Many vets are still using old manufacturer recommendations. That has changed. It is important to start on the low side and work up if needed. What tests. Have been done to determine if Neeko even has Cushings? Please post any and all test results here.

So again, welcome To you and Neeko.
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Thank you all sooo very much. It is a comfort to know I have help out there that is only a click away....Yes Neeko weighs 101 pounds as of last week. He did have a 8 hour low dose test that supposedly showed the Cushings Disease. I am going to call the vet today and have them fax me a copy of the results and will post the levels and such for you all to look at. He has been treated in the past for some type of liver disase as his liver levels were high. I will get all blodd tests and post them here as well. You are all like Angels that have been waiting in the wings to help me. I am in the Medical Field and help many people each day but have never asked for help myself. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I will post more soon once I gather all the info. xoxo
    Carla, Neeko's Mom

Default Re: Need Information Please (11 y/o Husky) Neeko on Vetoryl

Neeko's Mom:
    I just wanted to say that dogs with Cushings can have high liver values. Are you giving you dog any supplement for the liver. There are some the members on here using some like Denamarin or Hepato Support. Check with you vet first. I give them to my dog as they help support the liver. Hope you can post the results soon. Keep a daily diary of your dog, it will help when you need to reference something. Blessings
    Patti
    Tipper and Tipper's Mom

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
    Mahatma Ghandi

Neeko has been on Demamarin 425mg daily since Novemeber of last year. I am waiting for the results of his Low Dose 8 hour test and his latest blood work. What levels would you like posted on here. Thank you
    Carla

If you would post all the info from the LDDS and just the abnormal values, too high or too low, on the other labs, that would be great! Please include the normal ranges as different labs use different norms so it helps when we can see what that lab calls "normal" and how they measured it. Thanks!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

The results from the Dexamethasone Suppress 3 Cortisole were
    Pre-Dex 3.13ug/dl
    Post-Dex 1: 0.980 ug/dl
    Post Dex 2: 1.15ug/dl

[On 7/5/13 he had blood work and the abnormailities were;[/U][Alk ALK Phosphatase 1314
    ALT 379
    AST 53
    Calcium 11.9
    Triglyceride 420
    Cholesterol 412

Everything else in the test was normal.....Whats everyone thoughts..
    Thank you
    Neeko's Mom Carla