Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My dog has an adrenal gland mass - sweet Tigger has passed

Default Re: My dog has an adrenal gland mass

Good luck! Ask about the location of the tumor relative to the vena cava and any other obstacles the surgeon sees re removal. Ask about his experience with this type of case - not just any tumor - this type/size/location. Look him straight in the eyes and ask what he would do if it were his dog. Then listen intently and go with your gut. I wish it were simpler. Sending prayers and warm thoughts, Kim

I agree with Kim, you want to know the size of the tumor and its involvement with area blood vessels. You want to get a feel for how many similar adrenalectomies s/he has performed and the long term success rate. Tumors in the left gland are generally easier to remove than in the right gland. You need to feel comfortable with and believe in the surgeon. I know it is really difficult but try to hang in there tough. Ken

Hi! Popping in to wish you luck for the neurologist appointment tomorrow, hope he finds some simple reason like a tweaked neck muscle that is causing the funny walking. I have noticed Flynn do a few stumbles but they were in the postop recovery period. I never saw any preop. Hope they settle right down! Glad to hear that referral has gone through to... you are onto it!!

Will be looking in tomorrow night to hear the update!
    Trish
    Stop worrying about what can go wrong and start getting excited about what can go right!

I know I am a worrier with our adrenal tumour pups but how is Tigger doing, hope the appt with neurologist provided some answers. Hopefully you will get a chance over the weekend to provide an update! So hope all is going well for you two
    Stop worrying about what can go wrong and start getting excited about what can go right!

So Tigger & I made our trip to Tufts yesterday and I am feeling discouraged as I feel at least just as confused before we went. I really was hoping for better news or some clear cut info that would determine what to do regarding surgery. They set me up with the internist that specialize in endocrinology. Initially, she was saying that there was no need to rush into surgery an maybe to treat medically was a good idea and then in the future considering surgery perhaps. Then, she took her in for an ultrasound (her first one was almost 4 wks prior). After the u/s she changed what she had been saying and said the tumor was large (about same size as it was 4 wks prior) and that time probably wasn't a luxury we have in deciding on surgery. She said she has a large mass on left adrenal gland and a smaller nodule on right gland. The said the left mass was pushing on vena cava but was no definite evidence of invasion.She also has a 3 out of 6 heart murmur. Her blood pressure was 160 when they checked it. I asked her if she would do surgery & she said she really didn't know. She left off that she was going to check with the surgical team and see what they thought but also said that surgeons usually always recommend surgery. She said she just didn't know with her age and other health problems but at the same time she said her tumor is like a ticking time bomb left inside her that you just don't know when it will erupt. I cannot bear the thought of losing her and keep thinking of precious little fella.

Well crap. I was hoping you'd meet with the surgeon because frankly what she told you I COULD HAVE TOLD YOU. Did you find out the name of a specific surgeon that specializes in adrenal tumors? Push them for answers.

Otherwise Dr Peterson is in New York City. You could email him giving him specifics to see if he or anyone he knows could be of help. He's one of the top experts in the field.

http://www.animalendocrine.com/staff...rk-e-peterson/

If you feel like you are just a number and not getting to the expert while at tufts then move on. Kim

I agree with Kim. Crap. This really doesn't answer the questions that need to be answered. Such as what is their prognosis of outcome based on age and location of tumor and size too.
    Every surgery has some risk, it is how much risk vs possible outcomes that you have to consider and they need to give you the right answers so you can make that decision.
    I agree, if you come away without a positive feeling, then move on to someone else that can give you the answers you need. It is your call, how do you feel about it, about whom you met with, etc.

Hang in there
    hugs,
    Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Thank you all for your feedback. Why does it seem like trying to see oz when trying to see a surgeon? I will keep you posted on what the surgical team thinks as soon as I hear back from them. In the meantime, thanks for dr. Perversions info. I think I will try to get his feelings on this. I think his Bedford hills office is only an hour and a half from home which is actually a little closer than tufts. Does anyone know anything about the nuclear imaging mentioned on his page? Curious.
    Love from both me & Tiggy!

Smile Re: My dog has an adrenal gland mass

I have to laugh, as I re-read my post, I see that my spell check really hacked dr. Petersons name.

I was laughing hysterically... bet he has never been called that before. LOL Nuclear imaging is beyond my expertise. We have had dogs that had leading edge surgeries performed by leaders in the field. Dr. Perversion (LOL) is one of those guys. No doubt his office would have leading edge equipment. Kim