Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: In need of advice - Update: Norman will be crossing the Rainbow Bridge

Question Re: In need of advice for my Norman

Quote Originally Posted by labblab View Post
    Sharon, I know you are not feeling well and I don't want to upset you by saying this -- but I do not understand how your vet can justify charging you such an excessively high price for those tablets. She knows how hard you are struggling, and that is a ridiculously high price for compounded trilostane. I just checked, and brandname Vetoryl capsules are even far cheaper than what she is charging you (I found thirty 30 mg. Vetoryl capsules online for $85!).

But since you now have them in hand, yes, I believe I would do just as you are suggesting: combine 1/2 of a new tablet with one of the 5 mg. quarters that you have left over so that Norman is getting 20 mg. twice daily. I would tell your vet, though, so she knows that's what you're doing. I don't want to advise you to do something different than what she has knowledge about. And maybe other folks here will have a diferent thought about the dosing.

But regardless of what you decide, in advance of the next refill I sincerely hope we can put the plans in place for you to order the medication yourself. The truth is, you would have the money to perform an ACTH right now if your vet hadn't been charging you such a terribly high price for Norman's medication all along. That just frustrates me to death!!

Marianne
    I completely agree Mairanne....The Trilostane 30 mg - 30 count at $113.40 (IS NOT EVEN A MONTHS WORTH)- if given at 1/2 tablet in morning so 15mg - then whole tablet 30 mg. pm

I am definately switching vets to the vet that only charges $92.00 for the ACTH test, I called and the Vet doesnt have a problem allowing patients to order online, He'll write a script.

I stated Norman on the 20 mg am / 20 mg pm - Drinking less, Hungry though (but he has been (hungrier) And only woke up twice last night ...Happy mama!

Grandpa is watching the pupps while I attend a healing seminar - He will keep a very close eye on them - doesnt leave the house when he has the pupps and we are having a snow storm so he won't be going out for sure. I made everything real simple for him (daily am/pm medicaine holder) and he as directions plus he can call me. I also gave him the predisone (just incase)

Looking forward to having Norman tested in March...Hopefully!

I know Marianne already asked But does Anyone order tablets not capsels on line??? and what is the pricing like?? Name of the place?? I would kind of like to stick with what he has been taking as far as pill form, but will do what I have to, to make it work.

Thanks all! Peace and Love,

<3 Sharon, Norman and Millie

Default Re: In need of advice for my Norman

Sharon, I love seeing smiley grins on your thread.

Have a really good healing seminar!!!!

The roads are really bad, though, careful if you are driving.
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

Thanks Addy!....I love you! I thank everyone for the encouragement I ave received from this group...I feel Very Blessed !

It was beautiful out last night...snow = slow. Heading off to the warm water pool before the long day begins...Seminar went pretty good last night.

Take care all! (((hugs))) and peace,

Sharon =)

Unhappy Re: In need of advice for my Norman

Update on Norman - He seemed to be doing better at night and drinking less. He did great by my step-dads while I was gone to the healing seminar last weekend. looked good too when I picked him and Millie up - they did miss me... = ) as I did them.

However, he still is waking twice a night. Every once in a while I think I see blood in his poop. His water consuption is between 8 - 12 cups of water.

Now.. yesterday, he is super bloated (still is today) and he whinned last night for about 6 seconds then was fine. His appettite flucutates. is breathing is at times normal than at other times snorty, gaspy...not sure how to describe it.

I have to make an appt with the new vet. His expensive meds he recieved from the old vet won't last until the end of the month. Don't have the funds for bunc of testing and more meds.

The whinning has me concerned. ...as what may be blood in his stools - a couples times in the past week.
    Bloating is normal right? Breathing I am not sure.

Any suggestions...??? Guidance..

I wish they could speak to us....He is laying down by my feet...like the normal healty Norman..just resing his eyes...most like waiting to see if Mom is going to get up..so he can follow me where I go.

Another note, my former coworker, close friend put er dog down earlier this week...I cried harder than when my mom passed...too close to home...Cancer in his lungs the doctor told them it would be weeks....They were going to put him down that night...but decided they had to wait...the next day - he was having a really good day...but they put him down that afternoon - he had been graoning when trying to get up and lay down. They are at peace... Beautiful golden lab - Luke... RIP Luke... I loved you too.

Thanks for listening and all of the advice so far.

Love, Norman and Sharon
    Last edited by NoonelovesmelikeNorman; 02-16-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Hi Sharon,

I hope your retreat was enjoyable for you. Sorry to hear Norman is a bit under the weather. Blood in the stool can be caused by many different things. How is the rest of his stool? Are the blood drops bright red blood or is it dark tarry looking?

Since Norman was away for the weekend my first thought went to stress colitis or being fed something that did not agree with him. But it is so hard to say. I guess I am concerned that his tummy is bloated (does it seem hard?) and he whinced a few times. For Zoe''s colitis, a quick fix was always cutting back on her food by 1/2 or fasting her for twelve hours. But I cant advise that for Norman since I really dont know what is going on with him.

For the noisy breathing, I found this link when my daughter's pom was diagnosed with stridor

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/...oisy_breathing

Perhaps it will help you try to identify Norman's breathing sounds. Chewy's was a very high pitched wheezing caused by a dental probelm. Is this sound new for Norman?
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

Quote Originally Posted by addy View Post
    Hi Sharon,

I hope your retreat was enjoyable for you. Sorry to hear Norman is a bit under the weather. Blood in the stool can be caused by many different things. How is the rest of his stool? Pretty normal size and consistancy, solid for him. Are the blood drops bright red blood or is it dark tarry looking? I would say neither bright red or tarry, more plain red..small amount not every time he goes but I would say 5 times in the past two weeks.

Since Norman was away for the weekend my first thought went to stress colitis or being fed something that did not agree with him. But it is so hard to say. I guess I am concerned that his tummy is bloated (does it seem hard?)not really ard full...very cushing-like and he whinced a few times. He only whinned the one time, last evening...for a few seconds, he was on my lap, so I put him on the floor and then he snuggle in a blanket, it was like a pain whine, but very briefFor Zoe''s colitis, a quick fix was always cutting back on her food by 1/2 or fasting her for twelve hours. But I cant advise that for Norman since I really dont know what is going on with him.Norman did eat shortly before so maybe his tummy was upset???

For the noisy breathing, I found this link when my daughter's pom was diagnosed with stridor

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/...oisy_breathing

Perhaps it will help you try to identify Norman's breathing sounds. Chewy's was a very high pitched wheezing caused by a dental probelm. Is this sound new for Norman?
    I checked out the site...Norman didnt seem to fit any of them. He is laying next to me on the couch...He is a nose breather...very slight sound at the moment. When I pick him up and hold im uprigt it is louder.

Thanks for responding...Sharon

Hi Sharon,

I have two thought both of which I hope are very wrong. One is the possibility of pancreatitis. Is Norman walking in a hunched up manner at all - the back arched up?

The second is a condition called Bloat, or Gastric Volvulus. This is a life-threatening condition and requires immediate attention. The dog can have the distention (the gastric dialatation) without the twist (the volvuvus) but once the distention begins the twist usually follows and without intervention, the pup will likely not make it. Here is some info on Bloat -

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/gastric-v...ning-emergency

Signs of Bloat

The classic signs of bloat are restlessness and pacing, salivation, retching, unproductive attempts to vomit, and enlargement of the abdomen. The dog may whine or groan when you press on his belly. Thumping the abdomen produces a hollow sound.

Unfortunately, not all cases of bloat present with typical signs. In early bloat the dog may not appear distended, but the abdomen usually feels slightly tight. The dog appears lethargic, obviously uncomfortable, walks in a stiff-legged fashion, hangs his head, but may not look extremely anxious or distressed.
    We had a dog that got this. She didn't go into the twist, thankfully, but was at high risk by the time we got her to the vets. Her behavior was similar to what you are describing with Norman with the exception she would try to vomit and couldn't.

I'm NOT saying either of these are what is going on but the more info you have the better you can gauge what you are seeing and decide if you need to take action.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirt's Mom View Post
    Hi Sharon,

I have two thought both of which I hope are very wrong. One is the possibility of pancreatitis. Is Norman walking in a hunched up manner at all - the back arched up?

The second is a condition called Bloat, or Gastric Volvulus. This is a life-threatening condition and requires immediate attention. The dog can have the distention (the gastric dialatation) without the twist (the volvuvus) but once the distention begins the twist usually follows and without intervention, the pup will likely not make it. Here is some info on Bloat -

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/gastric-v...ning-emergency

We had a dog that got this. She didn't go into the twist, thankfully, but was at high risk by the time we got her to the vets. Her behavior was similar to what you are describing with Norman with the exception she would try to vomit and couldn't.

I'm NOT saying either of these are what is going on but the more info you have the better you can gauge what you are seeing and decide if you need to take action.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    Hello Leslie! I am happy to say Norman doesnt fit either of the above desciptions. At least I don't think so... He only arches his back when he poops but not as much as he did when he was a pup....I need to read up more on the Bloat...Boy, I hope that is not it...
    He has been more bloated like this on other days but then he goes back to not so bloated...He isnt whinning today...so hopefully this will get better.

I will keep a close eye and ear on on him...

Thank you Leslie....
    Last edited by NoonelovesmelikeNorman; 02-16-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Hi Sharon,

Just checking in to let you know I'm thinking of you and Norman =)

You are so sweet...I should be checking in on you....Sorry to hear of Baxter's passing...That time was just crazy with my family and loved one all having surgery and then trying to cope with Norman's cushings situation. I am thinking and praying for you...I am always amazed on everyone's strength...It is helping to prepare me....

I noticed for the first time today Norman's skin on his back underside is flaky...I am not sure what to do for it?? If I should do anything? Norman's bloating is much better today...He slept until 4 am this morning. He is sleeping a lot today. I hope he is just resting to heal.

I filled is medicine container for the week this morning, I believe I will have enough medication for him until the end of the month...Maybe March 2. I will call the new vet who will only charge me 92.00 for the ACTH test and allow me to order his meds online...I am curious to see what he will say when he sees Norman...At times I feel the time is close

I don't have the funds like so many to do all that would help Norman's quality of life better.... Working on it every day....I know he knows I am doing the best I can...I am blessed for every day with him...I wish I had a camera to take some pictures or had the knowledge on how to take a video of him on my phone, although I dont think my phone plan allows it. Working on having some pict's of Millie, Norman and me taken by someone.

I know God has blessed me with Norman & Millie thus far. I am so grateful and that he guided me to this site...otherwise I wouldn't have this extra time with now.

Thank You, Peace, Love and Appreciation,

Sharon and puppies