Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Vet asked if I wanted to test for Cushings? (15 y/o cairn terrier) Hamish has passed

Default Re: Vet asked if I wanted to test for Cushings? (15 y/o cairn terrier)

Oh No Hamish! No scaring mom over the holidays. Keep an eye on it and if it looks like it is swelling any further, take him in to Vet ER.
    Hope it isn't anything serious either and that it can be fixed quickly.
    Now is the appointment today or next Friday?

hugs,
    Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Hope Hamish's eye gets better.
    He's awfully cute!
    Based on what I've read here, it does not sound like he has cushings, but it's possible he's in the very early stages, I suppose. I went through a similar process when my Aussie was afflicted. Symptoms were quite mild at first, then reached a point when it was clearly Cushings (still on the mild side, but more clearly diagnosed).

But doesn't sound like he is ravenous, his weight at 14lbs is not excessive, and a handful of pee accidents may not equate with Cushings...even the liver values are not excessive.

The UC CR test is the best starting point and quite inexpensive. If that does not rule out Cushings, ACTH makes sense; usually between 200-300 dollars.

I'll cross my fingers for you.

Jeff & the Girls

Hamish's appointment is now Wednesday - the vets has been really busy with the holidays but the staff are trying to help us if they get cancellations. The swelling in his mouth doesn't appear to be getting worse, however we are checking it almost hourly just to be sure.

We have experimented with different bowls and cups to help him eat and drink and he seems to be managing quite well, although it takes him longer than it used to.

My plan is to focus on his mouth and get that resolved before starting any testing for Cushings, especially as it seems like he would be early stages. He has pee'd overnight every night for the last week, but that could just be a weakening of his bladder.

Actually that reminds me - I seem to remember reading that with Cushings the pee is clear - is that correct? Hamish's pee is, as my OH said, very yellow!

The good news is that his eye definitely seems to be OK now - I used the antiseptic gel for a few days after the vet gave the all clear just to be sure and he's not been squinting.

p.s. sorry if the above is disjointed or mis-spelled - Hamish is currently fast asleep on my right arm.

Unfortunately I have some very sad news as Hamish contracted a liver infection at the weekend which caused his health to deteriorate very rapidly and we had to say goodbye to him, however he will live forever in our hearts and in the wonderful memories we have from the time we were lucky enough to spend with him.

Default Re: Vet asked if I wanted to test for Cushings? (15 y/o cairn terrier) Hamish has pas

I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Hamish. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Godspeed sweet Hamish

Default Re: Vet asked if I wanted to test for Cushings? (15 y/o cairn terrier) Hamish has pas

I am so sorry about Hamish.....you will always have the happy memories with you.....sending you lots of love support and strength..

Love and prayers

Cindy and Bailey xo
    xoxo Cindy & Penny

I'm shocked! This is so heartbreaking to hear and my heart just goes out to you and your family. He will always be your beloved Hamish.
    Love,
    Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

I am so very sorry this happened so suddenly!!!! My heart is with you.

(((hugs)))
    Terry

Oh, honey,

I am so sorry to read this about Hamish. Even tho I haven't contributed to his thread I have kept up with his story. We are never ready to lose our babies and there is no good way for it to happen. I have lost them suddenly, and lost them after prolonged illnesses - it doesn't matter. We find ourselves with a huge hole in our Souls.

Hamish was lucky to have you on his side. It is obvious how very much he is loved and I know he carried that love with him as he crossed The Bridge. Today he is well, strong, and running in the Rainbow Fields with many new and old friends who were there to greet him. Hamish will always be with you, always watching over you. In time, he will be one of those to greet you as you cross over and tho it seems like an eternity for us who are left behind, for them it is only a few seconds that we are apart.

We are here for you anytime, honey. Please feel free to talk, to vent, to simply cry with us. We understand and are holding you gently in our arms.

Our deepest sympathies,
    Leslie, Squirt, Trinket, Brick and our Angels Ruby, Crystal, and Tasha

Weep not for me though I am gone, into that gentle night.
    Grieve if you will, but not for long, upon my soul's sweet flight.
    I am at peace, my soul's at rest; There is no need for tears.
    For with your love I was so blessed for all those many years.
    There is no pain, I suffer not, the fear now all is gone.
    Put now these things out of your thoughts, in your memory I live on.
    Remember not my fight for breath, remember not the strife...
    Please do not dwell upon my death, but celebrate my life.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words, thoughts and prayers - they are greatly appreciated and it's helpful to know that there are people who understand what you are feeling.

We are trying to celebrate Hamish's life because he was always such a happy lively dog who lived life at 110% and we know that he would hate to see us sad, but it's difficult when everywhere you look and everything you do reminds you of him and makes you want him back.

He was actually the retirement gift I'd always promised my Dad, and only came to live with us after my parents passed away. In the 7.5 years he lived with us he created so many happy memories and we miss him so very much, but it was time for him to return to my Dad.