My funny little dog Charlie is about 10 years old and is a maltese/chihuahua/pug/yorkie/something or other. He went blind in late 2012. In 2013 we spent the entire year finding a better vet and doing lots of tests that resulted in him being diagnosed with Cushing's and at beginning of 2014 started Vetoryl. Since then, his dose has been increased once, to 20mg a day, and the results are very good -- mostly.

The most difficult problem we have is a constant struggle to calm his itchy scabby skin down. I know it's fungal and yeast. Does anyone have any advice on what to use? When I use the shampoo from the vet it relieves his skin instantly and it starts to heal but after a day or two gets worse again. The only time his skin is completely clear is when he has been on antibiotics for it. But I don't want to have to have him take antibiotics every single day forever -- and I don't think you can do that anyways.

I have tried anti-fungal creams and ointments for things such as athlete's foot and yeast infections. These seem to help with the itch but not very much with healing. Spray-on Gold Bond itch powder works great for itch but he HATES it. And again, no healing properties. Any advice?

Also, I noticed that there were a few people on this site that experience similar breathing problems, but there is very little to no information on the web about what I can do to help him breath easier. It's the whole "sounds like he's snoring up a storm except that he's wide awake" thing.