Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my 10 yr old pom kizzy with cushings disease

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile my 10 yr old pom kizzy with cushings disease

hello cushings community im new my name is jasmine my k9 fur kid is kizzy 10 yrs old a sable brindle rarest color in poms but beautiful
    she has had cushings for a few yrs my old ( trusted ) vet ignored it & her weight ect now im with a new vet she is not a tiny pom she used to stay around 12 pounds & has bolloned up to 17 .9 i was shocked i have multiple sclerosis & a back injury i can barely carry her
    she has to be carried to potty & back cant walk far , she is a very special baby girl , i lost my mother 9 months ago & if not for my baby i dont think id of made it thru , of course my new vet wants to go the normal route with cushings id had my misgivings on that & not sure i want to put her thru it & not sure if i can afford it but thats seconondary , i been ding research & i bought a natural product called supraglan & im praying & hoping its the miracle we need i will post her progress today was day # 1

kizzy used to have chronic skin infections & was treated with prednisone a lot , i changed her diet to evo small bite no grains no more infections over 2 yrs , she has bumps on her skin fron cushings a weak back end , constant panting day & nite , with short rest periods inbetween , drinks alot i keep a closed bowl of water bedside & offer it thru the nite some nites we dont enough sleep
    she consumes excess water & of course wen she pees its a puddle
    she has been pad trained since 6 wks old but in last year she refuses to go on pad she will wait to go out side i had to pad train because of my m/s i cldnt walk for 9 months started walking with forarm cruthes wen i got kizzy so i couldnt carry her withher weigt gain its hard carring her , she has an odd texture to her hair vet said was related to cushings , she is graying more , her symptoms are constant , she has a big belly , in addition to her cushings
    she has luxating p[atelas back knees pop in & out of place, she has a collapsing trachea , she has severe arthritis head to tail
    if i could just decreasehe panting & water intake & get some weight off her & bet her back end stronger id be happy

does any one have tips on how to reduce weight in cushings ? & also does any one have any experience with supraglan natural cushings product ? im looing for a natural holistic , natural , homeopathy vet
    i am in the area of ft worth texas i found a vet but she had a baby & not taking new patients ???? rrrr i highly reccomend get insurance on your dog wen a puppy , my vet said kizzy wldnt qualify because of her congenital diseasess ? i wish id not believed her on any thing , she ignored cushings for a few years i even brought it up a few x , also if any one knows of a good book ect on cushings let me know please jasmine i hope & pray all your babies do good !!

Moderator's Note: I have manually approved your first post so other members can start responding to you. Please check your e-mail, especially your spam or junk folder for an email from k9cushing's that you will need to answer, so we can get your membership approved.
    Last edited by StarDeb55; 05-05-2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: approval of first post

Default Re: my 10 yr old pom kizzy with cushings disease

Hi and Welcome,

I am sorry to read about Kizzy's problems. I understand how much your pup means to you. We all do.

We usually ask tons of questions to try to better answer any questions you have.

I know you are hoping for a miracle, but if Kizzy really does have Cushings I just dont think Supraglan is going to help. Usually our pups need stronger drugs and we have yet to see any benefit from Supraglan. High cortisol is the culprit that needs to be tamed and usually that means Trilostane or Lysodren.

I know others will be along soon to welcome you as well and give you their thoughts.

I am glad you found us and you and Kizzy are no longer having to start this journey alone.

hugs,
    addy

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

Hi Jasmine,

Welcome from me too. Sure am glad you found us.

I did want to make a comment on the prednisone. There is a type of Cushing's called iatrogenic Cushing's (basically means prednisone induced). Was she taking this when she was diagnosed with Cushing's? If so, any testing would be skewed.

Tell what symptoms you are seeing in Kizzy other than the increased water intake and food. Has she been tested for diabetes or thyroid conditions?

Regarding the supraglan, I have not seen any success stories on this. What the ingredients do is treat the symptoms and not the root cause.

Keep us posted
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by mytil View Post
    Hi Jasmine,

Welcome from me too. Sure am glad you found us.

I did want to make a comment on the prednisone. There is a type of Cushing's called iatrogenic Cushing's (basically means prednisone induced). Was she taking this when she was diagnosed with Cushing's? If so, any testing would be skewed.

Tell what symptoms you are seeing in Kizzy other than the increased water intake and food. Has she been tested for diabetes or thyroid conditions?

Regarding the supraglan, I have not seen any success stories on this. What the ingredients do is treat the symptoms and not the root cause.

Keep us posted
    Terry

excessive water intake & urinating of course , constant panting , radid wt gain 13 pds to 17.9 pds weak back end cant walk now never got on furniture , recurrent infections bladder , skin ect
    dull coat off feeling , skin bumps , hyper pigmentation on tummy only , pot belly pig tummy , hungry , but wen full will turn head
    heat intollerant b4 wen she cld walk ahe was reluctnt to exersize those are the symptoms i can think of rt now she has all the symptoms except hair loss ,

can any one give me an idea of the cost for trilo for her at 17 pds ? per month ? & how often will the retest with dex test ? so i know aprox cost to expect thank you & ps i will post all test as soon as i get them / can afford them
    ps no thyroid test has never been done it will be soon , she is going to have a cushings test & a full blood panel incuding tyroid , she was tested for diabetes & heart worms a while bk & neg & neg

Quote Originally Posted by jasmine1971 View Post
    excessive water intake & urinating of course , constant panting , radid wt gain 13 pds to 17.9 pds weak back end cant walk now never got on furniture , recurrent infections bladder , skin ect
    dull coat off feeling , skin bumps , hyper pigmentation on tummy only , pot belly pig tummy , hungry , but wen full will turn head
    heat intollerant b4 wen she cld walk ahe was reluctnt to exersize those are the symptoms i can think of rt now she has all the symptoms except hair loss ,

can any one give me an idea of the cost for trilo for her at 17 pds ? per month ? & how often will the retest with dex test ? so i know aprox cost to expect thank you & ps i will post all test as soon as i get them / can afford them
    ps no thyroid test has never been done it will be soon , she is going to have a cushings test & a full blood panel incuding tyroid , she was tested for diabetes & heart worms a while bk & neg & neg
    ps she has ben on steriods in past yrs for skin infections & supposed allergies , not in last 3/4 years so it wld be natural induced cushings she is 10 a female & a small dog a pom
    Last edited by jasmine1971; 06-14-2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: miss spell

Quote Originally Posted by addy View Post
    Hi and Welcome,

I am sorry to read about Kizzy's problems. I understand how much your pup means to you. We all do.

We usually ask tons of questions to try to better answer any questions you have.

I know you are hoping for a miracle, but if Kizzy really does have Cushings I just dont think Supraglan is going to help. Usually our pups need stronger drugs and we have yet to see any benefit from Supraglan. High cortisol is the culprit that needs to be tamed and usually that means Trilostane or Lysodren.

I know others will be along soon to welcome you as well and give you their thoughts.

I am glad you found us and you and Kizzy are no longer having to start this journey alone.

hugs,
    addy

as for my $ 45 dollar bottle of supraglan yes i hoped for a miracle however i only gave her 1 dose & she panted more & i didnt give more ? i guess i should have asked on here if any of you had used it b4 ? i was swayed by all the good reviews , but july she will have a blood cushings wen i have more money i just spent 183 tue on her cough & i only have enough for phone bill & sm groceries left so i have to wait

Quote Originally Posted by jasmine1971 View Post
    as for my $ 45 dollar bottle of supraglan yes i hoped for a miracle however i only gave her 1 dose & she panted more & i didnt give more ? i guess i should have asked on here if any of you had used it b4 ? i was swayed by all the good reviews , but july she will have a blood cushings wen i have more money i just spent 183 tue on her cough & i only have enough for phone bill & sm groceries left so i have to wait
    i dont mind any questions ask away i need any info & help suggestions ect

Smile Re: my 10 yr old pom kizzy with cushings disease

hello pom mom im a pom mom too im 100 % sure she has cushings all symptoms except hair loss but dull coat 10 yrs dr wants to so a 2 hour test ? & then try trilo sm thing for cushings said it wld cost like 80m a month doesnt cause as many bad symptoms will this med or other help her to not pant & drink so much any more & help her lose weight ? please help

Here is some additional information about Kizzy
    "no hair loss , she also has a clollapsing trachea all these are non cushing related , severe arthritis head to toes vet said by xray & , luxating patelas in bk legs &
    she has never jumped on furniture ect ive had her since 6 wks old , my mom bought her & i kept her while she went out of town & fell in love & kept her she also can detect a seizure b4 i have one so she is more than just my pet & baby ,. my service dog medical alert
    also i have multiple sclersosis & im on disability & the vet costs are atronomical , rt now she has severe cough vet put her on antibiotics zithromax & cough syrup hydrcodone each over 50 dollars & pain med mtecam over 50 too cost 183 for visit for a cough all liquids
    this same vet ignored all cushings symptoms for last few yrs i had no choice but use same this time , id like to know if treated for cushings with this trili sm thing or other drug will it decrease her panting ? water intake . peeing , & hunger ? & will it cause her to lose weight ? , the wt is affecting her trachea ? & her legs for walking
    these are the things i want to no if they will improve with what meds how much are cushings meds ? $$$ ? & with her constantly panting its hard for me to sleep or her , am causing her to suffer with this panting ? vet said no but i ? i dont want to lose her she is like having a disabled child i must get up each day & take care of i rarely leave her but i dont want to cause her pain & suffering i had to put 1 dog down this year due to cancer 15 yrs old big dog mom mom passed 11 months ago , i cant bear to lose kizzy ? thank you for any info greatly appreciated !!!"

(Admin note - I merged this post you had written up in Rebel's thread with your original thread just to keep everything together )

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

Hello again.

When you get the chance, please post the test results of the this test. Given the 2 hours, I would be it was an ACTH test.

How much does your vet propose to give your girl should the test be positive?

Keep us posted
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by mytil View Post
    Hello again.

When you get the chance, please post the test results of the this test. Given the 2 hours, I would be it was an ACTH test.

How much does your vet propose to give your girl should the test be positive?

Keep us posted
    Terry

she did not tell me that but i see her next tue to recheck kizzy for her cough due to collapsing trachea we assume ?
    thanks for the info because i feel all alone in this & kizzy has been panting / drinking excessive for last few years urine cushings test was neg in feb 08 wen she was real sick with bladder & breathing problems some x her panting is soo bad i feel like vim allopwing her to suffer & it breaks my heart , i asked my vet & she said i wasnt but she has few rest periods w/ out panting heat intolerant , cant exersize i have to carry her , , & she has a stroller too it hleps her & me me with balance due to my m/s & not having to carry her at 17 pds , any how , i shave her & i have a window unit in my bedroom she stays close too it , i cant turn it off w/ out her having breathing trouble year rd its on 60 i just cover up if cold any scrafice to keep her comfy , i want the symptoms to go away but can any one tell me personal experience with the side effects of trilo ?

also if she gets to where she cant stand to go potty i dont know becausenow she just puts bk legs together & hops & does each & bk down that all she can do , she wont let me hold her up to go potty

i wont have the money for tests till july i will post them then

but can some one please tell me about the 2 hour test rather than th 8 hour ??? my vet said it cost more gave same results & less stress on her & not having to leave her there will help us both i rarely leave her , i recently started dating after 1 yr & i go out on friday nite for a few hours now & have a baby sitter she no's come sit with her , im very particular w/ her ive passed up several vacations but she is worth every scrafice ive made including money spent $$$$ i just dont get alot now on disability & w/ my mom gone she cant help me so its hard , but this same vet ignored this since o8 , wen i went in tue i told her i didnt care what tests b4 said i want to do a new blood cushings test & she said thats reasonable with her symptoms