Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Cushing's, 8.5 y/o male Boxer (Sweet Jordan has passed)

Default Re: Can Anipryl causing urine discoloration?

Hi there,

I can't answer your question, unfortunately, but my dog was on it for a few months and that never happened. I read everything I could on it too, and did not see that. Hopefully someone else will know.

Julie & Hannah

Default Re: Can Anipryl causing urine discoloration?

Hi Jenn,

I haven't found anything about discolored urine with Anipryl use either. If memory serves, Dr. David Bruyette had something to do with Anipryl - developing it, studying for use in Cushing's, something. Anywho... you might contact him for the answer.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/west-los.../veterinarians

I will be merging these two threads for Jordan in just a bit so when you see this one gone, it is in his original thread.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Default Re: Possible Cushing's, need advice on next steps (Jordan) 8.5 y/o male Boxer

I have no experience with Anipryl but I don't recall any members mentioning dark urine shortly after starting treatment with Anipryl. I was able to find one site that listed dark urine as a side effect of Selegiline in humans so I'm thinking if it makes a human pee brown, why not a dog. In my search, I also checked the FDA website and could not find dark or brown urine as a side effect listed in any of the summaries of clinical trials Deprenyl Animal Health, Inc submitted to the FDA for approval of Anipryl. It may be that brown urine, with no physical side effects, doesn't actually qualify as an adverse event.

It could be the drug that is the culprit but it could also be a urinary tract infection, bladder stones or kidney stones. Organ failure is also a cause of dark urine but since Jordan appears to be fine otherwise, I think that's an unlikely scenario. Aside from peeing brown, is Jordan's behavior any different, such as licking his penis directly after urinating or assuming the squat or lifted leg posture well after the pee has stopped? Does he pee, walk a few steps and try to pee again?

With the noticable sediment you saw in his urine, if Jordan were my dog, I would get a urine specimen to the vet to rule out the obvious causes before feeling totally confident that Anipryl is the cause.

Default Re: Possible Cushing's, need advice on next steps (Jordan) 8.5 y/o male Boxer

I went so far as to call the drug manufacturer here, who said they can't comment on what it might do in a dog, but that it does not cause urine discoloration in humans.

I decided to take him to the local vet, since she was still open, and we just got back. Doc wasn't there, but one of the techs did enough of a test to tell me that it is blood, and made an appointment for 0915 tomorrow. I'm not sure if I should keep that appointment or go back to the vet that prescribed the Anipryl and ask that he examine him and do a more complete urinalysis. Probably the latter...loathe as I am to dare to question him.

As to behavior, his peeing is otherwise normal, no excess squatting or straining or anything. He isn't drinking as much as he was pre-Anipryl, but he is eating fine and drinking what I would consider a normal amount. He seems physically fine, other than I've seen him drool a little bit with no apparent reason.

His Momma, on the other hand, is a flippin' train wreck at this point.

So...blood in the urine.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,
    Jenn

With the presence of blood, my first thought was crystals or stones. But if crystals were present, I would think they would have seen them if they looked - they could see Crys' under magnification. Maybe that wasn't looked at?

I would certainly be taking him to someone asap to find out the cause. I, too, panic and tend to RUN to the vet when I do. Of course, then you run the ever present chance of finding out things like lumps on the belly ain't cancer but BOOBS!

Hanging with you til we learn what this is!
    Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi Jenn,

I know it's not funny buy your comment about being a flippin train wreck made me giggle. I've been there, done that so I get it. Every one of my dogs has had blood in their urine at some point from either a urinary tract infection or stones. Chances are Jordan has a UTI which can be remedied with a round of antibiotics. My Lulu is currently on week two of Clavamox for her UTI. So take a deep breath, remember to exhale and try not to worry until Jordan tells you to. I bet your boy is sitting there right now wondering why mom is so upset.

Thanks, Ladies.

First of all...I can't find my other thread merged into this one, but I'm pretty sure it was you, Leslie, angel, who suggested I contact Dr. Bruyette? Um, yeah, BOTH of you?? ROCK STARS!! I emailed him, and within five minutes I had a response that, as suspected, no, the urine discoloration is not a side effect of Anipryl. While the end result is upsetting in that I'm going to have some veterinary problems come tomorrow morning, I cannot even express to you how refreshing it was to get a straight answer from somebody...and so quickly!!

So, that's that. Glynda - you're welcome to laugh at me any time. Lord knows, laughing at myself is the only thing that keeps me even remotely sane. Also, the idea that maybe this is just a UTI or something so benign is very comforting, particularly given that it's 20.00 here and there's not much I can do 'til morning anyway.

Oh...and Leslie...I just checked, and he hasn't any extra boobs, thank goodness!!!

Y'all are angels. Angels, I declare!

So, onward to a very diplomatic chat with Dr. Maurer tomorrow morning, lest I find myself in search of yet another German doctor.

Hm. You know, I think it's time that I "out" myself....we're coming home, y'all!! I'll spare you all of the drama (and there has been much)...but I will be in NC by the middle of August, with pupsters and DH to follow soon after. As much as I have adored living in Europe, there is absolutely nothing that can make me long for home like the need for veterinary care, both here and when we were in Italy. After today, I'm ready. So, so ready.

OK. I'm temporarily calm, now that I have a course of action, unpleasant as it might be. Meanwhile, the Woobster asked for his usual evening wrestling match with Daddy, and is now resting peacefully, chasing big scary German bunnies (they grow 'em the size of horses here, I swear) from the comfort of his corner of the sofa.

Bless you all.
    Sloppy Boxer smooches,
    Jenn & Co.

(Threads now merged. )

Oh my goodness, you have certainly been having the Drama in your life! Yay for coming home!
    Well, my molly had blood in her urine, totally freaked me out, turned out to be crystals and a urinary tract infection. That was when we switched her to the S/O food and try and make sure she drinks plenty of water. So far we haven't had any more incidents of crystals and only one other UT infection.
    Now she has cushings diagnosis and you'd think getting the water into wouldn't be such an issue, but alas, it is as she isn't a super heavy water drinker unless I give her the S/O food.

Drama, drama drama. LOL I've lived in Germany and their bunnies are super sized! Bet someone is having a blast with those things! hahaha

Take care, all the best in the morning!
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

We had a very productive vet visit today, and I have to admit that there may have been a communication problem with the whole, "it's a side effect" thing. Doc took me very seriously, particularly when he saw the sample I was packing.

Long story short, as I am a bit spent, we had a very thorough ultrasound that showed something is quite wrong with his right kidney, but since we hadn't fasted in preparation, the doc was unable to get a decent picture and thus not prepared to diagnose. We are to return, fasted, on Monday afternoon, for another (gratis) ultrasound. He said that based on Jordan's healthy behavior, as well as blood count, that this is very serious but not immediately life-threatening. We determined to stop the Anipryl for the weekend, since it is not vital and might be making extra work for his ailing kidney. We are both curious to see whether suspending the med has any effect on the blood in his urine. Toward that end, I have a theory...I think it is possible that he may have had blood in his urine prior to now, but that I never noticed discoloration because his urine was so dilute from excess water consumption. With the introduction of the Anipryl and subsequent decreased water intake, his urine is now a normal consistency, which means the blood is making it that much darker, causing me to notice the problem. I welcome your thoughts on that...

While I am worried, certainly (enough to send DH off on his own without me for our weekend with friends), I am encouraged to be moving forward with the diagnostic process, and deeply comforted by the fact that my boy is in very good spirits and seemingly no discomfort, much less pain. The doc was very respectful of my input, and very thorough...it's nice to say I have no complaint on that front, for a change.

That's it for now...I hate typing on the iPad!

Best,
    Jenn & Co
    Last edited by Somesie; 07-13-2012 at 04:20 PM.