Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Possible Cushing's, 8.5 y/o male Boxer (Sweet Jordan has passed)

Default Re: Possible Cushing's, need advice on next steps (Jordan) 8.5 y/o male Boxer

Just rang the vet - he is awake and almost sitting up, we can come get him! Whew!!

Don't know anything more than that just yet, will update when I can, but I may be busy tonight - loving all over my sweet little boy!

Best,
    Jenn

PS Thanks, Leslie!!

Talking Re: Possible Cushing's, need advice on next steps (Jordan) 8.5 y/o male Boxer

Fabulous news!
    Go spoil your boy, give him huge hugs and kisses from us!

Default Re: Possible Cushing's, need advice on next steps (Jordan) 8.5 y/o male Boxer

Woohoo!!!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Yipppeeeee! Great news! I've been thinking about you both today.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Woot, Woot!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a quick note - you all have touched me so, your reactions brought tears to my eyes. Truly...you are all angels. Thank you a million times for all of your positive thoughts and support!!

The doc showed us the kidney, which was literally FULL of some sort of nasty brown mass. The doc seemed fairly intrigued by it, kind of like he hadn't seen anything like it, and when I asked if it was cancer, he said he really didn't know and we would have to wait for the labs.

Because my boy has such a deep chest, they were unable to view the adrenals, but said his liver looked healthy and very much not like a Cushing's liver. Whatever the nastiness was, it was contained 100% within the bad kidney, so it's history now. He gave me a long term that started with 'poly' and I'm going to have to ask my Mom to help me figure out the rest of it, but used it to describe the body compensating for one thing with others, and essentially said he wants him off all medication for a bit because he believes that this might have been the problem that's been causing all his Cush symptoms. I'm cautiously (very) optimistic about that. Since Dr. Bruyette was so great about responding to my last email, I may take advantage of his generous nature to ask that one more question - could this have been causing everything?

Not sure if I will discontinue the flax/melatonin...would love to hear your thoughts on that.

He's beat up pretty good, and his future as a six-pack abs model is definitely in jeopardy, but he was alert and able to walk when we picked him up, and is mostly resting now.

Thank you again....all of you...I'm so touched by the support!

Jenn

Hi Jenn-

YAY!!!!

I'm so glad to hear things went well! I'm glad you were already able to go get him. I'll be looking forward to hearing more about what they discovered. I'm so glad to hear it was contained and that other things looked normal. It would be wonderful if the other issues resolve after this.

I would have been a crying mess leaving either of my dogs like that, so I can totally understand your reaction. Now that he's home just enjoy your time loving and cuddling him!

Sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts your way!

Julie & Hannah

Fantastic news!!!!! Sending love, Kim

Hello, All...

Things are OK here, but it’s been a trial. His first night home was a nightmare that included a 2a.m. vet visit for more pain medication that didn't even put a dent in his discomfort. He and I were up for the whole night, save for about an hour, I think, and my poor husband didn't get much more than that. At our follow up in the a.m., they said he was dehydrated and wanted to keep him for the day for IV fluids. At this point, there was still blood in his pee, too, and I was having some regret at having put him through this.

He was like a new man when we picked him up at six last night, but he deteriorated to the degree that yours truly spent another sleepless night trying to comfort him. I now understand that the symptoms he displayed were pain-related, but at about four this morning, I was pretty sure he was dying and I decided I was going to let him, rather than dragging him out to the ER again in the middle of the night. This, by way of explaining just how bad a night we had. Once we got past the worst, I realized he wasn’t actually planning to check out just yet, which of course is a huge relief but also leaves me with a pup who apparently feels like he got run over by a truck. At our follow-up appointment this morning, they asked if they could just keep him overnight, and we all agreed that would be best for everyone. His kidney function has improved even from yesterday, so it seems like we are definitely headed in the right direction, but he was still (or again, I guess) dehydrated, so they needed to put him back on IV and the vet felt he would be more comfortable staying there, being fed and hydrated 24/7 and also watched/managed for pain. As much as I hate leaving him there, it was unquestionably the best thing for all of us. If I don’t start getting some rest, I’m going to be in the hospital right next to him, and that’s not good for anybody.

So. Things are not great, but we’re headed in the right direction and he is, in fact, healing. No blood in his urine as of the wee hours (Wee hours! See what I did there?!) this morning.

I'm exhausted, but encouraged by his blood and urine results this morning. Jeff deserves a medal in all of this...bless his heart. We're going to spend the day doing some special things with Barkley, since she's been such a trooper about Jordan being the center of attention all week. Right now, she's playing with the joy and abandon reserved only for fleece toys, and it is nourishing my soul in a way that only she and her brother can. Must remember to be grateful for all that we have...

Keep my little man in your thoughts, please. And thanks once again for all of the support!
    Jenn

Oh, Jenn,

How scary for you! I remember when Squirt's pancreas flared up after she came home from surgery. I was terrified and so, so scared she was leaving. I am so glad the ER was close and they were able to provide Jordan some relief. Staying the nite was a good idea even tho I know how incredibly hard that was to do.

I am holding tight to the belief that Jordan will be home for good very soon and will be through the worst portion of his recovery. Before long, he and Barkley will be romping and playing together, providing endless laughter and joy...and, I imagine, plenty of messes to clean up!

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.