Stopping back by again, because I am realizing that we’ve never provided any specific links that discuss surgical tumor removal as an option for pituitary macros. Kathy, who started this thread, has shared a lot of info about her dog Macy’s unfortunate surgical treatment. However, we do have a success story to share, as well. That’s the treatment of another member, Lucy, who was the first dog to undergo surgery in a pilot project introduced in Los Angeles a few years ago. In order to provide some related links, I’m going to copy a reply that I wrote last fall to Yogi’s mom when she was debating stereotactic radiation at North Carolina State. It’s kind of a general summary of treatment options, so it’s somewhat repetitive of things that have already been shared here. But it also contains those links about Lucy and her surgical team. To my knowledge, surgery is still offered only rarely here in the U.S. But I did want to let folks know a bit about the history.

Through the years, we’ve had members who have undergone a variety of treatments for enlarging macrotumors. Initially the only option here in the U.S. was the prospect of over a dozen traditional radiation treatments over the span of a month, with general anesthesia required for each procedure. Over time, more specialized options have been introduced in some centers, including cyberknife-type treatment that only requires a very few sessions, and also actual surgery. In that vein, Dr. David Bruyette has helped pioneer successful canine surgery as a joint effort between UCLA and Cedars-Sinai Hospital in L.A. One of our very own members, Lucy, was his first patient in that pilot program, and I believe surgeries are still being done there on select patients. Here are some write-ups:

http://dogaware.com/articles/newscushingssurgery.html

https://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Researc...st-Friend.aspx

We’ve also had members who have received advanced stereotactic radiation treatment at UC Davis and Washington, among other centers. I think Florida may also offer advanced options, as well. As you might expect, results have been variable. Some dogs have had very good responses and remained neurologically improved for an extended period of time. Some have not. Some have had an extended respite from Cushing’s treatment. Others have had to continue with Cushing’s treatment even though the tumor size was reduced enough to relieve neurological symptoms. I think a lot will depend on the actual location and dimension of the encroachment, as well as the vets’ assessment of Yogi’s overall viability as a treatment candidate.