Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Jenny Cushings & Diabetic poodle (Jenny is in heaven)

Default Jenny Cushings & Diabetic poodle (Jenny is in heaven)

Hi: I have already received a lot of help on the K9 Diabetes Forum. My 11 year old toy poodle Jenny was diagnosed with diabetes on May 17. We are up to 5 units of insulin twice a day with hardly and change in her BG yet.

On July 1 she tested positive for Cushings and we have started on Lysodren. Her doctor prescribed 1/2 a tablet once a day. I didn't realize I should be giving it with food. She took her half tablet at noon today, had some runny diarrhea but then was normal. I gave her some amoxycillan this evening for an ear infection and she spit up a small vomit half an hour later.

Since it is 4th of July weekend, I'm thinking I will give her the Lysodren with her breakfast tomorrow and watch for diarrhea or vomiting. The instructions say to call the vet but it would be the ER and she is still ravenously hungry and drinking a ton of water.

I know none of you are doctors but should I be more alarmed and call the ER vet?

(we signed up as poodles on the diabetic forum cause I couldn't think of a name.)

thanks, Judi and Jenny

Default Re: Jenny Cushings & Diabetic poodle-2nd day of Lysodren

Judi, I want to welcome you & Jenny! I had to manually approve your first post, so that is the delay in you seeing it on the board. Could you please check your e-mail including your spam folder for a note from k9cushings.com that we need to have you return, so we can finalize your membership.

Debbie
    Mom to 2 Cushing's angels

Yes. I would call the ER vet because even if you gave it with food this is strange. One dose and your dog vomits and has diarrhea? Those are both signs of too much lysodren. I am wondering if your dog even has cushings?

Please don't give any more lysodren. It is a wonderful drug but something isn't right. Did she have any new foods today or anything else that could be the culprit?

Keep us posted ok?? Kim

Here is some information on lysodren that might be helpful.

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181

Thanks for activating me Debbie. I followed the one link I have so far and it says I'm activated but on moderation. It didn't work earlier so I used one of the alternate links earlier. Let me know if I need to re-do something. thanks!

Thanks Kim. We had ACTH test on Friday. He wrapped the test up at 5:30 just as they were closing so it was a little rushed. He said that for a level that is normally -2, I think, she was either over 300 or over 500. I'll get copies next Friday when we go back.

I called the emergency vet and she said it was up to me but that if Jenny is not lethargic and drinking water I don't need to bring her in. So I guess I'll need to decide if I give her Monday's dose or wait till Tuesday when the vet wanted me to call him anyway.

Better safe than sorry so I can hold off on Monday's dose.

thank you for your fast response. I'm not going to take her in, I'll just hold off on tomorrow's Lysodren.

eta: I had just given her amoxycillan and put some antibiotic in her ear. Maybe it was just too much. I'm almost at the spreadsheet point to keep up with her meds.
    Last edited by Jenny & Judi in MN; 07-03-2011 at 08:58 PM.

The ER person probably didn't read up on lysodren but rule #1 is you never give it to a sick dog - that means both diarrhea and vomiting. So even if it is something else please don't give it.

The number you posted doesn't make sense to me because an acth test for a cush dog would be a reading above normal which is around 20. So above that would indicate cushings. YOu said it was rushed so I will chalk it up to that... so yes, please get copies of all tests done to diagnose cushings (there should always be more than one done because it is soooo hard to diagnose and there are false positives frequently)

The link I provided will give you hints on how to give lysodren. Also, did your vet give you prednisone? It is a must have in case of emergencies.

What type of ear drops did you give? What other drugs is she on?

Thanks!! Kim

Hi Kim: thanks. It had been such a stressful week with my Jenny I did not retain all of the tests results. They did 2 tests, one at 3pm and one at 5pm. The 3pm test was negative and the 5pm test was positive. Jenny's regular vet does not do the Cushings test and we had issues with him regarding where we would go to get it done.

She gets her insulin shots twice a day, eye drops (cyclosporine) once a day, a hormone called Diethylstribestrol every 4 days, some malotic for her ear infection and the amoxycillan.

I do have the prednisone on hand. After her diarrhea this morning she had a normal stool. She's always had poo issues which is why we didn't panic but I will keep an eye on it and not give her any more of the Lysodren till I talk to the Doctor.

thanks. Reading the link you gave before I registered is what made me re-think calling.

Quote Originally Posted by frijole View Post
    The ER person probably didn't read up on lysodren but rule #1 is you never give it to a sick dog - that means both diarrhea and vomiting. So even if it is something else please don't give it.

The number you posted doesn't make sense to me because an acth test for a cush dog would be a reading above normal which is around 20. So above that would indicate cushings. YOu said it was rushed so I will chalk it up to that... so yes, please get copies of all tests done to diagnose cushings (there should always be more than one done because it is soooo hard to diagnose and there are false positives frequently)

The link I provided will give you hints on how to give lysodren. Also, did your vet give you prednisone? It is a must have in case of emergencies.

What type of ear drops did you give? What other drugs is she on?

Thanks!! Kim

would it be safer to give her the prednisone?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny & Judi in MN View Post
    would it be safer to give her the prednisone?
    Nope! The prednisone is to use in the event that there is an overdose of lysodren resulting in cortisol levels that are too low. When this happens the dog becomes lethargic to the point you think they are dying - they don't walk straight, they can't get up, they can't lift their head. Prednisone replaces the cortisol in a matter of hours and makes them feel normal again. So if your dog has high cortisol (which is what cushing's is and you give prednisone then you are increasing their cortisol levels.

Hope this helps. Kim