Thread: Anal Gland problem

Default Anal Gland problem

Hi everyone, I have a problem with Desi's anal glands and am looking for some advice. About three months ago she had an anal gland infection and it came up really quickly, got her to the vet and it abcessed. She was on antibiotics and metacam for the pain. Now its happened to the other side and she is on a different antibiotic. Do you think they will want to remove the anal glands? I am a bit worried about her and wondered why this would happen. She is always fine in that area every time the groomers or I check they are never swollen but then all of a sudden this has happened.

Also what can I apply to clean the area under her tail that won't harm her if she licks it?

Love and hugs,
    Ellen, Sweet Angel Casey, Desi and Oreo

Default Re: Anal Gland problem

Hi Ellen,

So sorry to hear about Desi's issue. I know nothing about the anal glands but here is a link to a thread from Christy as one of her dogs was having the same issue: http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/show...+glands&page=2

Hope Desi problem resolves soon.

Love and hugs,
    Lori

Hi Ellen, my almost ten year old Pom had his anal glands removed about 5 years ago. We were at the vet constantly with his anal gland issues. He had no problem with the surgery and has been fine since then. The only problem was his hair never grew back from where they shaved him.

xoxo,
    Cindy and Alex

We haven't dealt with infections but our dog has had problems expressing the glands adequately so they have gotten over full a couple of times, which I believe helps lead to infections.

We added some Metamucil powder to his meals. It bulks up the stool, which gives him an assist in expressing them. This has been working very well for him.

He's 55 pounds and I add about 1 teaspoon of Metamucil to each of his two meals.

It's actually slightly sweet tasting and he doesn't mind it sprinkled into and mixed with his food.

Maybe something like that could help keep them cleaned out.

Natalie

Thank you everyone for your help. I hope it can be resolved without surgery - the worst about this is giving her the pills! She is not a normal dog that eats anything so I have to shove them down her throat and I fell like I am choking her.

Thanks again,

Ellen,

I hope Casey feels better real soon and surgery is not needed.

Sending you moral support and tons of hugs!!!!!!

Feel better soon sweet Casey

Love,
    Addy

Hi Ellen,
    Erik had the surgery a while back and it made him a completely happy dog. I really believe this surgery did him a world of good. When their anal glands get full it is very painful for them, and when they get absessed it is a very serious health problem.

My vet said when his anal glands got full it was comparable to a human with a sciatic nerve problem, constant pinching and ache.

My vet did not push me into the surgery, he said I could come in weekly to get his glands expressed if I wanted to. The groomer does it differently than the vet, the vet is much more thorough.

Christy

Thanks Christy for the support and good news. Desi's are not full but all of a sudden it blows up and then we have an abcess. We have an appointment with the vet tomorrow afternoon so I will let you know what she advises.

Thanks again all,

Hi Ellen,

I hope all goes well at the vet and Desi is fine. It is always something.

Miss Ella now has a rash on her belly and gential area so trying to figure that one out, but will be at the vet on Friday so we will see what it is all about.

Has anyone tried Natural apple cider vinegar to help with aliments? I was reading about it so that I would ask...

Take care Ellen!!
    Marie, My Angel Girl Maddie, and Now Miss Ella