Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Kirby, Boston Terrier with PDH on Trilostane (Kirby has passed)

Post Re: Kirby, Boston Terrier with PDH on Trilostane

Tricia - hopefull I will find out it that is what is wrong with penny - she was on trilo now off trilo - she got very sick for a week??? we put her back on her Rimadyl meds and she was wonderful for two weeks and we changed nothing and then very sick again????? So macro or just pain for legs muscles lumbar??? She pants alot - gets up and down alot like not sure how to get comfy - groans - and sometimes she digs? Does not do circling - but not steady on her legs - yup so frustrating!! I wil pray for our little fur babies and hope we both can get some answers and some relief
    xoxo Cindy & Penny

Default Re: Kirby, Boston Terrier with PDH on Trilostane

Thanks, Lori and Cindy.

He had a restless night but has had a good breakfast with the selegiline and trilostane and is sleeping comfortably now. He will be watched 24/7 until Nov 3rd, when my visiting friend who loves him like a second mother returns home. I will hope that he is showing some improvement by then. I'm still hoping someone else has tried this and found out if the trilostane dose should be adjusted once the dog is also taking selegiline for CCD. It would be really sad to have his cortisol levels drop too low now the numbers are looking good. I haven't scheduled the next ACTH test yet. Those test days exhaust him and cause him such stress. His veins are so hard to draw blood from and it is such a long day because of the distance and waiting times between blood draws.
    I just don't want him to be suffering in any way. I can't tell if his head is hurting. He has always made little groany noises when I pick him up and stuck out his big ole' tongue when he sleeps so there are no signs if he has a headache.

Aloha and hugs you your furkids,

Tricia and Kirby

Yes Tricia - I know - wish they could tell us how they feel - you are doing a great job with Kirby - I know its alot - Ive been doing it since last December - jope wed answers some more questions - hopefull a member can give you some info on the selegiline - sending alot of hugs support and strength!!
    xoxo Cindy & Penny

Tricia, re: your concern about trilostane dosing upon having added Anipryl -- you or your vet could call or email Dr. Tim Allen, one of the veterinarians who serves as a technical rep for Dechra (manufacturer of brandname Vetoryl) in their Kansas headquarters. He is a very nice man and has been extremely helpful to many of our members. If he doesn't know the dosing answer himself, I feel certain he'd be able to find it out quickly. Here's the contact info:

http://www.dechra-us.com/Default.aspx?ID=365

Marianne

Marianne,

What a good idea! I didn't think of asking them. Thank you so much for Dr Allen's contact info. I'll email him right away and post his advice should others find themselves in a similar situation some time.

Aloha,

Tricia and Kirby

Wow! Dr Allen replied right away! What a lovely man. Here is his response -good information should anyone else have a PDH dog with CCD considering these treatment options:

I'm glad your Boston's cortisol concentration is under control. Because Vetoryl and Anipryl work by completely different mechanisms it's unlikely that the two drugs together will cause over suppression of adrenal gland function (Addisonian crisis). Furthermore, the Anipryl dose used to treat Cushing's is two to three times higher than the dose used to treat cognitive dysfunction. My advice in this situation is be certain to follow the recommended Vetoryl protocol of re-checks every 3 months and if your Boston shows signs of appetite loss, vomiting or diarrhea stop Vetoryl immediately and contact Dr. Verluys.

Regards,

Tim

Timothy A. Allen, DVM (SAIM)
    Technical Services Veterinarian
    Dechra Veterinary Products
    Toll free: 866.933.2472
    Fax: 913.327.0016
    Last edited by kapohotricia; 10-17-2011 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Typo

Tricia -

I was just going to give you Dr Allens toll free number but he got back to you and now you have it - Isnt he the best!!!!! I called him like 5 times already and he picks right up and he is so pleasant to speak with!! I am glad he answered your questions - I think I should be asking the new IMS Wed about Anipryl for Penny??? How is Kibry feeling today??? Sending you both HUGSSSSS!!!!!!!!
    xoxo Cindy & Penny

Hi Cindy,

Yes, he is so kind and prompt. I am so relieved. Of course, Anipryl can't stop the tumor growing but I am hoping Kirby is one of those that will have better quality of life with this drug. He is on day 3 and tolerating it just fine with the Trilostane at breakfast and fish oil and milk thistle, bless him. He has always been a good eater, thank goodness. I am told it could be a month or even 2 before I really know if it will help.
    Hugs for you and a kiss on the head for dear Penny. You are blessed to have an IMS available. It will be interesting to hear what she thinks.

Aloha,
    Tricia and Kirby

Tricia- Thanks for the thoughts and Kiss for Penny - I will let you know how it goes - I pray the med will help Kibys quality of life - that went on my question list for the vet!!! Hugs and a HUGE SLOPPY lick to Kirby from Penny
    xoxo Cindy & Penny

Hi everyone,

I haven't updated for a while because nothing has really changed in Kirby's condition these past few months except that he is very gradually getting a little weaker. His right legs fail on him when he circles for too long so, when I am home, I pick him up and settle him on the couch. He does need some exercise so I don't stop him walking around at all -he just doesn't go straight much at all. He is generally content with his quiet life -he gets lots of cuddles and enjoys his food and can still see and hear but, I'm writing today to ask for advice with one thing. When I am home I take him outside when he wakes after a nap or signals that he wants to go out. He goes after circling for a few minutes and he is always so proud he actually runs across the little lawn afterward. But, now I am back at work after the holidays I can only come home at lunchtime to check on him and he can no longer wait 4 hours between going out. I've tried pee pads but he isn't used to them and pees on the tile by the front door instead. He has obviously wanted to go out and there is a pattern of circling paw marks around the area over the puddle, poor thing. I tried a towel on the floor but he goes to the nearest tile by the front door.
    Has anyone found a way to train an incontinent older dog not used to going inside?
    Thanks for any advice you might have.
    Aloha,
    Tricia