Thread: I lost my sweet Timmy to Cushing's 2/16/11

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default I lost my sweet Timmy to Cushing's 2/16/11

Hello.

First, I want to thank lablab and Squirt's mom for your very kind and much needed words of understanding, compassion and support.

I am so thankful that I found K9cushings.com

Until my sweet Timmy was diagnosed with Cushing's back in January I had never heard of the disease. I lost my Timmy just 6 weeks later. I was not prepared to lose my sweet westie rescue so soon (he adopted me back in 2005--when I rescued him his age was unknown--he was found as a stray in the middle of winter, had been placed in a couple of homes, was finally placed in westie rescue foster care and then he finally found me with the help of his foster mom).

I do not have kids of my own. I am a choir director. My students and my dogs are my kids.

Now that school is out and my students are gone, I feel like the grieving process for my sweet Timmy is starting all over again. In a moment of intense sadness, Mother's Day actually, I found the k9cushings site. Reading stories, one's that sounded so familiar to mine, reading the section on dealing with grief, and then finally joining and finding the open arms of lablab and Spuirt's mom, has been overwhelming and words cannot express how thankful I am. Thanks too for the assistance with the In Loving Memory section.

I wish I had discovered you earlier but now I'm here. Thanks so much. Timmy was my angel and I really miss him.

Timmy's mom

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

Default Re: I lost my sweet Timmy to Cushing's 2/16/11

Hi Timmy's Mom,

I am so very sorry for Timmy's passing. Most of us here understand the tremendous grief that comes with it. Myself, I lost my Mytilda in 2004 and not a day goes by that I do not think of her and miss her.

I am hoping my little Mytilda has already met up with Timmy and he is being introduced to all the pups who have passed on.

Please do stay with us - and post more about your Timmy when you feel up to it.

Terry

Hi there,

Yes, it's really hard; we totally understand how you feel. A day doesn't go by when I don't think of my special friend who is no longer with us. I can fully grasp how you feel with such a quick departure. I have had 2 Aussie terriers with Cushings now, and my first passed very quickly, despite initially responding well to treatment. It can be heart breaking. But, I was more fortunate with my last girl who endured for over 2 years with the condition. You just don't know...this stuff is very hard to control. And, it does seem that several of the terrier breeds are prone to this condition, unfortunately (boston, westie, aussie, etc.)

But, you can be proud of the fact that you gave Timmy a loving home for the time you had him...that really counts for a lot.

Jeff & Angel Mandy

Hi Timmy's Mom,

Bless you for rescuing Timmy and giving him a forever home that was filled with so much love for him.

I, too, totally understand about one's furbabies being their kids as I don't have any children either. Losing them is so very hard and I am so sorry for your loss. Please know we are here for you and as you feel you can, we would be honored to hear more about your sweet Timmy.

Love and sending huge loving hugs,
    Lori

Thank you so much for your kind words! They really mean a lot to me. I cannot tell you how glad I am that you've found us, too (so the feeling is totally mutual ).

I have no human children, either, and my dogs are my furbabies. My Cushpup, Barkis, was the first dog for my husband and me, and I was totally unprepared for the depth of the grief that I felt when we lost him. He was 9 years old when he was officially diagnosed with Cushing's, but he had suffered from a series of health issues even before that. In retrospect, I realized that Cushing's had been causing problems for quite a long time. We started treatment with trilostane to which he responded quite well, and we had a few months of relief as we watched him return to being a happy, middle-aged Labrador. But then neurological problems emerged and worsened rapidly. Although we did not have the chance to confirm our fears with an MRI or CT scan, we assume that the pituitary tumor causing his Cushing's had expanded and was placing pressure elsewhere in his brain. When he would no longer eat nor drink, we reached a point of crisis, and chose to release his proud spirit from his ailing body.

Our decisions at the end were forced so quickly, and I was so distraught during those last weeks of sudden decline. I had thought (hoped) that I would feel peace upon setting him free. But there was no peace, just questions and second-guesses and horrible loss. It took me a long time to find solace from accepting that we had made the best decisons we could at the time, with the information that was available to us, and loving Barkis with all our hearts. And I owe a huge debt to my friends here, for listening to me and supporting me as I took baby steps along the road.

I am very grateful for the opportunity to help repay that debt. And so it is with gladness that I welcome each grieving parent who joins us here on "In Loving Memory." That may sound funny to say, since there is nothing "glad" about the grief and the sorrow that we share. But I am truly so glad that we have this special and sacred place to honor our babies and to take care of ourselves.

So I welcome you to our family. And truly -- it will be our privilege to join you in celebrating Timmy's spirit and also to listen to whatever stories you may wish to share about your lives together. And that means the painful parts right alongside the joyous ones.

Sending many hugs, and anxious to hear more about your sweet boy.
    Marianne

Like Marianne, I thank you for your kind words but most of all I thank you for trusting us during your time of need and with preserving Timmy's memory. Before I found my home here, it never occurred to me that the joys, the laughter, the stories of life shared with a furbaby could be kept where they wouldn't fade from memory nor that there were people who felt as deeply as I did when those babies were gone. Here, we are all safe - those precious memories and our bleeding souls are safe.

I think things happen for a reason. Timmy was supposed to be with you - that is why none of his other homes worked out; he was waiting for you. The Universe knew your two souls were meant to blend, meant to be bonded for all time. The Universe knew the day was coming when Timmy would need the love and TLC that only you could give him, that only you would grieve so when he left this old planet. You gave him the life he was meant to have and you were the only one who could.

I also happen to believe that Timmy is not really gone - only changed. His spirit remains close, watching over you with the same love and devotion you always showed him. He is in the Rainbow Fields, whole, strong, and young once again, running like mad with his many new friends. When the day comes that our jobs here are done and we cross The Bridge, our babies will there to greet us. You will hold your sweet Timmy once again, cover his face with kisses, and the two of you will never be parted.

As you feel up to it, we would love to share in your memories, the stories of yours and Timmy's journey together. Please know you now have a soft, safe place to fall when it seems the ground has been pulled out from under you, as I know full well it does. We understand, and our hearts and arms are always open.

Fly free, sweet Timmy, fly free!

Our deepest sympathies,
    Leslie, Squirt, Trinket, Brick, and our Angels, Ruby and Crystal
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.