Default Re: 9 YO Cairn goes for LDDS test next week

Okay, one day under your belt. We're with you

Any questions?
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

WOOHOO! The fun begins! How is Misty today? How are YOU today? Try to keep breathing and hold the panic at functional levels...panic is part and parcel of loading so I won't ask you not to feel that! We are here anytime and right beside you all the way, hovering like annoying gnats.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

You guys are more than welcome to hover and annoy! Misty was kicking her heels up at 5AM this morning out in the yard...and barking (rolling eyes) So all seems well... i'm concerned not panicked...
    Misty & Jodi

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

Here I am hovering. How are you two doing?

Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

So far, great! She's being a trooper... I posted yesterday... kicking her heels up at 5AM, barking at anything she hears as well (i'm sure my neighbors just love that!) Taking the day... one dose at a time..... LOL
    Misty & Jodi

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

Geat news but dont let your guard down
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

I'm not letting my guard down I feel like a hawk, hovering all the time, but at least my mom is with her during the day and will note any changes she sees in her.
    Misty & Jodi

Just an update... Water consumption down, for the last 3 feedings she has left food in the bowl and has to be enticed to finish... spoke to the vet yesterday, was given prednisone just in case and she also told me to let her know if the food issue continued. Called and left message this morning, so I expect the vet will stop the lysodren and we are scheduled for an ACTH stim test on Friday morning...... Misty Meanor has been a trooper!
    Misty & Jodi

OK - I suspect loading was done when there was food left in the dish. You did the right thing and called the vet. It appears you gave lysodren AFTER that along with prednisone right?

I don't care what the vet says that dog has every sign of being loaded and do NOT give any more lysodren. The pill works for two more days after the last dose so you have to stop because cortisol goes lower for two more days. If you continue to give it, particularly with the prednisone you run the risk of overdose and you won't even know it because the prednisone is masking the load signs.

Also if you keep giving prednisone it will skew the test results. I believe prednisone has to be out of the system for 24 hrs but it could be 48 - hopefully someone else will see this and confirm.

Lastly waiting until Friday to do the acth test seems to far out. YOu don't mess around with lysodren. Once a dog has signs of loading you stop giving it and you set up an appointment for two days from the time of the last dose. So if you quit giving it this morning you would want to do the acth test on Thursday morning.

Regardless of whether or not you can get the date moved up please please please trust me - no more lysodren. Prednisone only needs to be given when the dog is in distress and your dog wasn't so I would cease giving that so that it is well out of the system for the acth test.

I'm guessing your vet doesn't have a great deal of experience in using this drug. Congrats on the load! Kim

Loading instructions just in case you need it when discussing with your vet.

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181