Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: 9 YO Cairn goes for LDDS test next week

Default Re: 9 YO Cairn goes for LDDS test next week

Hi Jodi,

How much does Misty weigh?

Her current weight the last time I was present when they weighed her is 19 pounds... she has picked up about 1.5 pounds in the past year and a half.. she was 17.5.. Turning into a little porker! I just spoke to her regular vet ... we will start the Lysodren on Sunday...
    Last edited by cairncrazy24; 01-15-2013 at 08:47 PM.
    Misty & Jodi

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

Just a bump.. I dont know whether you saw my response to your question about weight.. she is around 19 pounds.. should be a bout 17.
    Misty & Jodi

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

At 19 lbs, that means Misty weighs 8.6363...kgs (19 / 2.2). The dose should be 50mg/kg/day to load so her dose should be 431.8181mg/day to load her. 1/2 tablet twice a day would be 500mg/day so keep a close eye on her for signs she is loaded. It may happen quickly.

Have you started the load yet? We are here if you need us!
    Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Signs of loading achieved are -

Lysodren administration should be stopped when:

1. the dog demonstrates any reduction in appetite; this might mean just pausing slightly during meal consumption, stopping to drink some water, or stopping in response to the owner's voice.

2. the polydipsic dog consumes less than 60 ml/kg/ day of water.

3. the dog vomits.

4. the dog has diarrhea

5. the dog is unusually listless.

The first two indications for stopping the medication are strongly emphasized because they are common and they precede worrisome overdosages. The occurrence of any of these signs strongly indicates that the end point in induction (loading) therapy has been achieved.
    http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Thank you! I have read, and read all of the signs.. my mother is home with her during the day, so she will keep an eye on her. I will start her on the medication on Sunday. I am away this weekend and I didn't want to start her if I wasn't available... So it begins..... I'm really scared, but after the consult with her normal vet, I am a little calmer....
    Misty & Jodi

You are going to do just fine, Jodi. You have us all behind you, standing by should you need to talk about anything. You know your baby girl better than anyone and you will see the changes in her as the drug goes to work because you are so devoted to her. Many folks have put a copy of the Lyso tip page on the fridge or cabinet where it is easily seen by all who share the house with the pup. That way everyone knows what to look for. You can write her vet's number on it just like you would for a kid's babysitter!

Starting on Sunday is a good move because your vet will be available for the critical days that follow after starting the load. Smart move, Mom! And you thought it was fear making you choose Sunday! Nope, it's that great Mom instinct at work.

Keep in touch and let us know how things are going.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang

You guys rock! Thanks for all the support!
    Misty & Jodi

Crossing fingers for a good load!

I've been dying to respond to your thread and didn't because, well one I don't know very much about lysodren dosage and two I was worried that if I wrote something trivial but supportive, then those that Do know might have missed the question about dosage and weight.
    LOL

hugs,
    Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

And the loading has begun.... Started on Sunday... hoping it is uneventful and my little girl starts her way to feeling better!
    Misty & Jodi