Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 9 YO Cairn goes for LDDS test next week

Default Re: 9 YO Cairn goes for LDDS test next week

Hi Jodi,
    how is Misty doing?

Sharlene
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Misty is the same... status quo here.. Thanks for asking!

Waiting to hear back from the internist on our next step...I'll keep you posted....
    Misty & Jodi

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

Status Quo is nothing to sneeze at. LOL Very happy to hear that!

Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Well, the internist also wants another ultra sound. So I will make the appointment and we will go from there...
    Misty & Jodi

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

Well the ultrasound was done... same benign nodules on liver, adrenal glands normal and everything else was normal. So, the internist says lysodren is the med to try. With her test results borderline cushings and liver levels climbing, and all else normal, is this the right move?? Scared about the side effects. He gave a dose of 250mg twice daily for 7 days and an ACTH Stim at seven days.
    Misty & Jodi

Drat. I see/saw the LDDS results, but did you also have an ACTH test done? I'd want one of those baseline before ever starting cushing medication since what you start on a treatment process the ACTH is the only monitoring test you'd have done and you want to have something to compare that to.
    I'll let others pop in and give their opinion on where one needs to be prior to starting lysodern or cushings treatment at all for that matter.

Little whipper snapper looks to be doing pretty good I must say. That is such a jolly picture, I want to run too.

hugs,

I have to go back to work so don't have time to back and read your entire thread but based on your post I would not start lysodren because you don't treat dogs that are borderline or without symptoms. If the adrenal glands are normal that is a sign that it is either early cushings or NOT cushings. Perhaps someone has more time to read up or I'll review later tonight. Kim

Unhappy Re: 9 YO Cairn goes for LDDS test next week

She has the following symptoms:
    Drinking/peeing lots!
    Voracious appetite (she's been caught eating poop.. ewww)
    Panting - mainly in the summertime.. not so much in the winter....
    Laying on cold floors
    thinning coat
    high alkp and alt values
    urine dilute
    low thyroid - first time thyroid low... vet attributes to sick thyroid
    there may be a couple more.. these have been going on since April of 2011. She has had a UTK adrenal panel done in May of 2012, results are in the post.
    Misty & Jodi

Test results from UTK on Misty's bloodwork.
    Done in May of 2012

Pre and post ACTH

Cortisol ng/ml 63.0* 2.1-58.8 132 65.0-174.6
    Androstenedione ng/ml 1.05* 0.05-0.57 3.49 0.27-3.97
    Estradiol pg/ml 87.5* 30.8-69.9 74.2* 27.9-69.2
    Progesterone ng/ml 0.33 0.03-0.49 1.27 0.10-1.5
    17 OH Progesterone ng/ml*0.04 0.08-0.77 0.78 0.4-1.62
    Aldosterone pg/ml 62.4 11-139.9 141.0 72.9-398.5
    Misty & Jodi

Hmmm, this is interesting and I'm going to let the others who are quite familiar with the UT test results talk about them, but normally one is quite concerned about the Post results on the ACTH, when treating for cushings and your post results all appear to be normal, with the pre being out of range on Cortisol (not by much either), Estradiol and Progesterone.

So, I am not positive about that that means in relation to cushings treatment with lysoderm or vetroyl.
    I'll be waiting for other responses about that too, as I know a few have used the UT test for information.

hugs,