Ph 5
    WBC 5-10 0-5 HPF

LDDS Test
    Baseline 4.7
    6 hours 1.2
    8 hours 1.4

Well.... any thoughts??
    Misty & Jodi

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

Default Re: 9 YO Cairn goes for LDDS test next week

Hi Jodi,

More questions....

Was the bile acid ever done?

Is she on treatment for hypothyroidism?

Is there a reason she isn't taking the recommended dose of lignans? The melatonin and lignans will have no effect on the liver values but can help with the intermediate hormones if taken at the recommended doses. Just guessing but I would think she should be getting something like 3 full capsules a day of the lignans.

Did the vet mention anything about her pancreas? I assume the lypase was normal but the amylase is elevated and I would want an explanation for that from the vet. Has she had any loose stools or nausea?

Personally, without further testing, especially an ultrasound, I would be very, very hesitant to start treatment with either drug right now. This position comes from my experiences with Squirt when she was first diagnosed. She would have died had I started treatment without doing the testing which found that tumor on her spleen. There are too many unknowns in Misty's case in my mind...but I am a worry wart and want to know exactly what I am dealing with if at all possible when facing the possibility of having to use drugs as powerful as Trilostane or Lysodren.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

No bile acid test was done, this is the first test that the thyroid was low, which the doctor attributes to being a sick thyroid issue... the lignans are 30 mg capsules. I read that 1 mg per pound daily. She currently weights 18.5 pounds. I can give her more, but i have also read that it can cause stomach, digestion issues with stools...currently there are no runny or loose stools, no nausea.
    Last edited by cairncrazy24; 10-26-2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: add more information
    Misty & Jodi

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

The lignans are SDG. 30 mg capsules. The website says 1 mg per pound, so I have been giving her about 1/2 capsule a day... Should I give her more??
    Last edited by cairncrazy24; 10-31-2012 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Misty & Jodi

Argh, I wish I knew what to tell you on the liganans dosage. I haven't tried it though. Hopefully someone that has will stop by and give their input. I think though that you could go up some in dosage and if you do encounter any runny stools or indigestion, then cute back a bit. Since they won' t hurt over all and could help with the sex hormone levels it might be worth it to try.

I do want you to know that I'm reading though! You aren't forgotten at all. Things have been mildly crazy around here but seem to have settled with the passing of the storm and whew, thankfully the end of the week coming.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by cairncrazy24 View Post
    The lignans are SDG. 30 mg capsules. The website says 1 mg per pound, so I have been giving her about 1/2 capsule a day... Should I give her more??
    What is very important to know is the standardized percentage of SDG in the product you are giving. SDG is the active component of the lignan.

As an example: If one 30 mg capsule contains 20% flax lignan extract (standardized).

30 mg capsule = 20% lignans.

20% is 1/5 of 100% (or 100 divided by 20 = 5).

30 mg divided by 5 = 6 mg lignans.

Each 30 mg capsule would contain 6 mg lignans.

If Misty would weigh 20 pounds she would need around 3 (6mg) capsules.

Hope I am not confusing you, if I am please do not hesitate to ask more questions, ok?

I give her lignans for life... SDG Lignans for dogs.... This is what the website says...... So should I start to give her more??

Lignans For Life provides pure flaxseed hulls in capsule form containing 33 mg of SDG lignans per capsule. (ALSO available in bulk powder and money saving 2 packs. See all options at the bottom of this page.) The Hulls of the flaxseed are separated from the meat of the flaxseed providing you with the most concentrated natural form of lignans available. Our bottle of flaxseed lignans contains 90 capsules that can be separated (if desired) exposing the ground flax hulls (powder) which can be divided in half or thirds, however, vets agree that this natural grain can be given safely even up to 10x the minimum recommended amount. (Vets recommend a minimum of 1 mg of SDG lignan per 1 lb of dog weight.) E.g. a 30 lb dog would take one capsule per day.
    Misty & Jodi

In order to know exactly how many capsules to give, you have to be told the standardized percentage of SDG that is in it.

Here is a quote and link to the supplement facts of Vitacost's flax seed Lignan Extract:
    (from flax, Linum usitatissimum L.) [Standardize to 20% Lignans (as secoisolariciresinol diglucoside, SDG)(8 mg)]
    http://www.vitacost.com/Vitacost-Fla...Lignan-Extract

With the product you are using, Lignans For Life, I do not see the standardized % of SDG in this product. It has on the label 33 mg of SDG lignans per capsule but I don't see anything saying this is standardized, so it could be more than 33 mg or less than 33 mg.

Each capsule contains 630 mg of flaxseed hulls, containing 33 mg SDG lignans..... per their website.. I will also check my bottles tonight... Not chemically process so it's about 5 percent of SDG lignans per capsule per the gentleman I spoke to at the company. So.... should I give her more??

GET 2 90-COUNT BOTTLES OF CONCENTRATED FLAX SEED LIGNANS AND SAVE ON SHIPPING TOO!! SHIPPING ON THE SECOND BOTTLE IS FREE! We start with all natural chemical free flax seeds and hull them providing ground concentrated flax seed hulls (Lignans) in a vegi capsule. Each capsule contains 630 mg of ground flaxseed hulls (33 mg of SDG lignans). Flax Lignan Research has shown that people with high amounts of lignans in their bodies have notably lower cancer rates. Lignans have been linked to lower cancer levels as well as post menopausal benefits in women and better prostate health and hair health in men. Lignans provide Antioxidant protection too.*
    Last edited by cairncrazy24; 11-02-2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: more information
    Misty & Jodi

She is on the right dose if the capsules contain that many mg of SDG. The SDG is the part of the lignan that does the work. Most lignans are not that high in SDG per capsule but are standardized to something like 20% - meaning each capsule of lignans contains only 20% SDG.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.