Thread: Anyone know Boston area?

Default Anyone know Boston area?

We have been saving all year to take our granddaughter to see colleges in the Boston area. We are trying to keep expenses down.

I had hoped they could fly into Boston on a Thursday, take a cab to Waltham, stay at the Embassy Suites since it has a Hertz car rental.
    Rent a car and drive to see Wellesley College in Wellesley in the am and then drive to visit Wheaton College in Norton in the afternoon, go back to hotel in Waltham. Drive out Saturday morning- visit Mount Holyoke in Mount Holyoke and then Smith in Northampton, stay overnight in Northampton, drive to Bradley airport Sunday morning, drop of car, fly home.

I am a bit nervous of hubby driving in Boston, he gets lost easy and is not used to crazy traffic so hoping these routes are pretty easy driving and direct.

Any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. This means alot for my granddaughter's future. She would be elligble for significant aid package from any of these schools.

Not in the dog realm, I know Hubby and I have not had a vacation in five years. I am hoping this trip helps both he and granddaughter. I remain home with the pups, which is fine by me
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

Default Re: Anyone know Boston area?

Addy, contact Lynne. She lives in that area and might be able to help you. Here is a link to her profile -

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/member.php?u=267
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

What an adventure - hope they have loads of fun.

Looks like the path is pretty straight forward in driving....They can also confirm this with the concierge desk at the hotel.

Looked at google maps to get directions.....

Driving directions to Wellesley College, 106 Central Street, Wellesley, MA 02482

Embassy Suites Boston/Waltham
    550 Winter Street, Waltham, MA 02451
    1. Head east on Winter St toward 2nd Ave 0.2 mi
    2. Turn right to merge onto I-95 S toward Dedham/Providence Rl
    4.8 mi
    3. Take exit 21B toward MA-16 W/Wellesley 0.2 mi
    4. Merge onto Quinobequin Rd 0.2 mi
    5. Turn right onto MA-16 W/Washington St 3.1 mi
    6. Continue onto Central St Destination will be on the left
    0.7 mi

Wellesley College
    106 Central Street, Wellesley, MA 02482
    Terry

Addy, I used to have to travel a whole lot and Boston was ridiculously difficult to drive in - there is no grid system. That said - if he cabs it from the airport and is just driving in the suburbs it is probably much easier. The route Terri mapped out is only a few miles so that shouldn't be difficult.

He needs to know what a roundabout is and how to maneuver on one! (it's a circle with exits off of it)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundabout

That said - I'm sure he can manage it. Lord knows you have enough on your plate to worry about. This is wonderful that you are doing this for your granddaughter. Kim

Thank you guys, Kim- good to know about the round about- we have very few here.

I'll check out the driving directions. It seems public transit also works but they would not have enough time for it.

Thank you all for your input.
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

Well, I guess I better purchase a GPS for hubby's car. He has had no problem driving around Boston and flew down to Northampton through the fog.

All he has left to do is drive 35 miles to Bradley Airport.

Life is full of suprises.

I thought about this and thought about all the times I have worried about things that never happen. I decided to try to not waste any more time twitching for no reason

And it worked

I'll be darned.

Life is full of so many suprises but I sure hope I can be like my pups from here on out.
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko