Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041

Thread: Franklin, 4½ yo maltese, trilostane (updates)

Default Re: Franklin, 4½ yo maltese, trilostane (updates)

Hi Jane,

Wow! You are brave! I would be a basket case....again. I'm glad he is doing well with the shots. How are YOU doing with them?

"Icy grass"? ahhhh....what a vision. I feel cooler already! If it were possible, most of us over here would gladly send Franklin a warm breeze or 30 for one blade of icy grass!

Please stay in touch and let us know how he, and you, are doing. I hope your life has become much more calm and settled these days.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi Addy, Leslie and everyone,

Franklin is doing much better and has been drinking 350-500ml daily. I think he would gladly swap the icy mornings for some warm breezes. He'll keep today's puddles though

I'm getting better at giving him his shots. It's no longer 20 minutes from start to finish, with 45 seconds of that time being the injection. I think he's almost back to his regular weight, but we'll find out for sure tomorrow when he goes back to the vet for another curve.

Love to all, and ear scritchies for the babies
    Jane, Franklin and Angel Bailey xxx

Wishing you both the best of luck with the vet visit and will be looking forward to your next update.

Love and hugs,
    Lori

Hi Jane!

So much going on down there!
    But I'm so glad to hear things are stabilizing.
    Scritchies for Franklin & Hugs for you.
    Best Wishes to all,

John & My Angel Angelina

Hi everyone

Franklin began loading on mitotane on Friday 29 June. Weight was 7.4kg blood glucose was 17mmol. Dose was 1/2 375mg mitotane twice a day. Two days later his water intake increased. Last dose was Monday, skip Tuesday and stim test on Wednesday.

Pre 118
    Post 584
    Locum vet was told by regular gp to check glucose. It was 28-29mmol (non fasted). So we went back on Thursday for a glucose curve. He was down to 7.0kg, and fasting glucose was 24.4. Franklin began insulin that morning. I go to pick him up, they show me how to inject. I ask if the insulin is the right insulin for those needles, was told yes. Wrong!

So for a week, giving his shot was a breeze. Gp vet was back and we go for a curve. I'd been giving a half dose bc the locum vet didn't adjust for a u40 insulin in a u100 syringe. Aargh! With the proper dose, Franklin started to resist. For most of the next 3 weeks I needed a helper. It's been a little over a month now and we seem to be in a groove.
    Until last night. He had a big drink and vomited his kibbles from earlier in the day. Then he kept drinking shortly followed by more vomits of water.

His gp wasn't on call, so I rang 2 other vets for advice. One suggested half insulin dose, the other suggested full dose. I went with the half dose idea. Franklin stopped vomiting and just wanted to sleep. Didn't want anything to eat, I tried offering his faves.Three hours after his insulin he woke up and wanted food. :-) At 2.30 when we finally went to bed his bg was at 14.1mmol.

We only started home testing his blood glucose a smidge over a week ago. Went to the blood pressure vet to show me how. With the struggles I've had giving his shot, I thought it would be another struggle. But Franklin doesn't have a problem with the testing. Doesn't like his ears getting poked but is fine with his carpal pads. During the visit, the vet found he had a yeast ear infection. Began 'Surolan' ear drops. Four days later and he couldn't hear very well. Turned out his ears were blocked with the drops.

Franklin seemed to be getting good bg numbers two weeks ago, since then he's gone off the healthy diabetic food and my home testing shows his numbers are higher. Another curve tomorrow to see if any adjustments are needed.

Discontinued the mitotane to get the diabetes under control. Still a work in progress.

Hope all of you and your babies are well,

4u caninsulin bid, 3/4 5mg enalfor sid -proteinuria, 3mg melatonin bid, 1/8tsp lignans - atypical cushing's, 30mg phenobarb bid. Refusing diabetic home cooked recipe, eating commercial 'my dog' wet food and some royal canin weight control kibbles.

Jane, Thanks for coming back and updating us. So Franklin now has diabetes.

As you have found out cushings can make diabetes hard to control. I am posting the link to our sister site for diabetes in the event that it helps you. The people there are wonderful. www.k9diabetes.com

Meanwhile keep us posted. Kim

Hi Jane,

I am so sorry to hear of Franklin's problems but as Kim said K9 Diabetes Forum can be a life saver. I am sure they can help sort things out and offer great suggestions. We have members on both forums and I am sure some will stop by.

Hang in there.
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

Hi Jane!

You're so brave....diabetes scares me to pieces - not the condition itself but having to give those shots. I would be shaking so badly the needle would be a blur! I am terrified of hurting them - and I end up hurting them. I've given other types of shots to dogs in the past and it always makes me so very nervous (horses are so much easier!). Folks that deal with diabetes in their pets have allll my admiration.

Franklin is certainly good at keeping his mom on her toes, huh? How boring our lives would be without our babies keeping things lively!

Good to hear from you as always and hope things go very well for you both on this new path.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Wow, what a journey you have been on. I'm with Leslie, it terrifies me, the thought of giving shots. You are very brave. Hope the diabetes can be brought under control soon so life can get back to an even keel.

hugs,
    Sharlene
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Hi all,

Kim and Addy, the k9 diabetes site is amazing, and also full of wonderful people who just like us adore their babies Lots of great info, and some avatars from here, too

Leslie, I could definitely give boring a go with help from a dap collar, spray and rescue remedy, it's calmed him down a lot. He's no longer fighting me tooth and nail. Franklin still squeaks sometimes though

Sharlene, hi and thanks we 're still working on getting his sugars under control. It can take some time, but he's happy and I'm taking my cues from him.

Love and hugs to all,